OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli SBE3 vs other options

Started by BobWalters, January 30, 2018, 11:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobWalters

So I decided today on buying a 26" Benelli SBE3 as my do all new shotgun. Told the salesman that's what I wanted and he said great choice what are you gonna do with it, I told him turkey for sure, dove for sure, and clay shooting just for fun between seasons for sure, and that I'd also throw in some ducks and quail as well. He stopped me and said are you gonna shoot much 3.5 shells and I said probably not as I think I'll use 3" for turkey and ducks and some light low brass cheap loads for clays and dove and quail. He stopped me right there and said son I'll be totally honest with you you don't want this gun at all, these benellis especially the 3.5" chamber models are not gonna like and not gonna cycle those 2.75 light loads when you wanna play in the clay field or shoot quail. You might consider an M2 but I don't have one in stock. I'll be honest I was bummed because that SBE3 was the by far and away best fitting shotgun I've ever held in my life bar none. I came home and googled it and sure enough every forum I went to maybe 2 out of 3 people said the sbe guns are finicky and they just don't always shoot light target loads. So I'm here now asking you all what your thoughts are on this. Do I need to steer clear of the SBE3? Should I look at a 12 gauge M2 field? I know it's jeut a gun and silly but I'm like extremely bummed by this. I've never touched a m2 so it may feel just as good to me but geez.

CrustyRusty

If the gun is going to be used primarily for turkey and ducks then I say go for it.  But, the M2 feels very similar to me.  I don't think you would be disappointed in an M2.  Another option is to buy the sbe3, and pick up a nice used  Wingmaster or something similar and use that for doves and fun shooting.   :funnyturkey: 

yelpy

I had 2 SBE2's neither gun would cycle fully with light 1oz and 1 1/8 oz target loads. Although they were great for hunting ducks, geese and Turkey. If your looking for a do it all shot gun in my experience the SBE2 is not the gun for that.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

taylorjones20

I have never once had my SBE2 not cycle any load that I have put in it.  I shoot 1-1/8 oz shot for doves - And I've shot over 4 cases of them in the AA and over a case of the cheaper stuff on sale from walmart without a single issue.  Same with the M2.  Go get that SBE3 and shoot it!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

BobWalters

I'm starting to think it varies gun to gun really and it's just you never know if your sbe will be a lucky one or not. I'm not sure it's a $1700 risk I wanna take. Starting to wonder if I should look at only 3" chamber Benelli or try to make myself like one of the gas guns.

taylorjones20

Quote from: BobWalters on January 31, 2018, 10:38:56 AM
I'm starting to think it varies gun to gun really and it's just you never know if your sbe will be a lucky one or not. I'm not sure it's a $1700 risk I wanna take. Starting to wonder if I should look at only 3" chamber Benelli or try to make myself like one of the gas guns.

If you're not going to shoot a 3.5" shell then I'd go with the M2.  Same bore diameter as the SBE's.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

CrustyRusty

Remington V3 is a nice gun...is already drilled and tapped and choke selection is endless.  Plus...Made inUSA, lifetime warranty and much less expensive.  You can probably buy two guns for the price of the sbe3.

Don't get me wrong, the Benelli is another class of gun in my opinion and for me worth the extra cost, but the v3 is a viable option.  For me, if I wanted a 3" gun, I would get an M2, V3, Beretta A300 or Winchester sx3 in that order...good luck

reynolds243

Quote from: taylorjones20 on January 31, 2018, 09:12:14 AM
I have never once had my SBE2 not cycle any load that I have put in it.  I shoot 1-1/8 oz shot for doves - And I've shot over 4 cases of them in the AA and over a case of the cheaper stuff on sale from walmart without a single issue.  Same with the M2.  Go get that SBE3 and shoot it!

Same here. Never had a single cycle issue out of any loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrDirtNap

I own 2 Benelli SBEs and with certain light loads they will not cycle but it's only certain light loads.  To remedy that whenever I shoot doves I just make sure I don't buy 1 oz loads.  Really a simple remedy for me.   Cost me a few extra bucks but thats it.

BottomLand54

Have you held a franchi?
The new affinity 3, or 3.5 is half the price and feels unbelievable.

I had a sbe3 soon as they came out last year. It shot way high and to the left I got discouraged and sold it, a ff3 would fix that though.

I currently own a sbe2 25th anniversary that's a turkey Gun and a new franchi 2 20 gauge that's a turkey Gun.

My first sbe2 and sbe3 didn't matter what you put in it, you could put the cheap Walmart dove load in it and she would shuck em 10 ft.

To each there own, now my Weatherby SA-459 12 guage would not shuck the 23/4 shells with the heavy collar on it. Buy what you want but I never had a problem, I just think an 1800.00 Gun should shoot where you point it and I hope my 25th anniversary does. My first sbe2 was dead on but that sbe3 was a pile of junk as far as shooting poa/poi

Also a browning wicked wing a5 would be sweet get it drilled and tapped or just leave it alone.

BobWalters

I think I'm going to try the M2 and Vinci because truthfully I don't ever expect to use a 3.5" shell and I don't wanna fall in that percentage, whatever it may be, that buys a 3.5 Benelli and it won't fire my dove or quail loads reliably. I feel comfortable honestly going to the duck / turkey blind with 3" max, and I have heard that an M2 will fit almost identical to an SBE2. What are the opinions on the chances that I buy a 3" m2 or vinci and it handle reliably the lighter 1oz 1290 velocity Remington game load?

BottomLand54

It will shoot em just as good as the sbe2 and sbe3 will.

CrustyRusty

With the M2 you won't have an issue and yes it does feel very similar to an sbe.  The sbe is hit or miss even though some here have not had issues, myself included with my sbe2. But why take a chance when in all likelihood you won't shoot 3.5 anyway.   My buddy does have problems with lighter loads in his.

WNCTracker

Quote from: BobWalters on January 30, 2018, 11:57:13 PM
So I decided today on buying a 26" Benelli SBE3 as my do all new shotgun. Told the salesman that's what I wanted and he said great choice what are you gonna do with it, I told him turkey for sure, dove for sure, and clay shooting just for fun between seasons for sure, and that I'd also throw in some ducks and quail as well. He stopped me and said are you gonna shoot much 3.5 shells and I said probably not as I think I'll use 3" for turkey and ducks and some light low brass cheap loads for clays and dove and quail. He stopped me right there and said son I'll be totally honest with you you don't want this gun at all, these benellis especially the 3.5" chamber models are not gonna like and not gonna cycle those 2.75 light loads when you wanna play in the clay field or shoot quail. You might consider an M2 but I don't have one in stock. I'll be honest I was bummed because that SBE3 was the by far and away best fitting shotgun I've ever held in my life bar none. I came home and googled it and sure enough every forum I went to maybe 2 out of 3 people said the sbe guns are finicky and they just don't always shoot light target loads. So I'm here now asking you all what your thoughts are on this. Do I need to steer clear of the SBE3? Should I look at a 12 gauge M2 field? I know it's jeut a gun and silly but I'm like extremely bummed by this. I've never touched a m2 so it may feel just as good to me but geez.
If you're not sure if you'll ever want a 3.5" get the 3.5" and have it so you don't regret it. I have a SBE3 and love it. It's my turkey gun and everything gun as well. I don't shoot 3.5" anymore and I've put 150 or so rounds through it with  about 20 being 3.5" 40 being 3" and the rest were target load 2 3/4. I've read people talking about the cycling of the lighter shells but I've also read that if you break it in with 3.5" shells then you're good to go. Also, if you do happen to have an issue benelli will pay both way shipping to have it shipped to them to fix it.  I can't speak to poa b/c I use a ff3.

BigPimpin

My M2 doesn't like light loads.  Neither does my SV or M1S90.    They all hit high.  I still like my 'Nelli's the best.  I don't bother with shooting skeet.  Lightest loads I shoot are Rio 1350 at dove birds.  No problems atol.
I'd rather be Drivin' > Disco.