turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's Your "Zero to Turkey" Time?

Started by Spurs Up, June 10, 2017, 06:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBD

I was sitting back to back with my dad this spring when he shot a gobbler. I heard him move so I knew it was fixing to happen so I was like track star on the blocks. Soon as the gun cracked I was gone. When I got around the tree the bird was moving head up across the ground very lively!  I did not have a gun since I was tagged out so I ran as hard and fast as I could.  Right as I got to the bird it took off to my right and I dove for it, landed wrong and dislocated my elbow.  When it was out of place I was in considerable pain so I pushed it against the ground and reset it myself. I tore my UCL, ACL and flexor tendon in the progress.  It's still not near 100% but getting better every day. Lord willing I'll be shooting my bow comfortably soon.   With all that said my son shot a bird a few days later and I ran to it just as fast as a one armed man could!   

Spurs Up

Quote from: BBD on June 10, 2017, 09:28:03 PM
I was sitting back to back with my dad this spring when he shot a gobbler. I heard him move so I knew it was fixing to happen so I was like track star on the blocks. Soon as the gun cracked I was gone. When I got around the tree the bird was moving head up across the ground very lively!  I did not have a gun since I was tagged out so I ran as hard and fast as I could.  Right as I got to the bird it took off to my right and I dove for it, landed wrong and dislocated my elbow.  When it was out of place I was in considerable pain so I pushed it against the ground and reset it myself. I tore my UCL, ACL and flexor tendon in the progress.  It's still not near 100% but getting better every day. Lord willing I'll be shooting my bow comfortably soon.   With all that said my son shot a bird a few days later and I ran to it just as fast as a one armed man could!   

I wasn't so much thinking about what you do when you get there as I was how soon you arrive. However, in your case that's pure combat. Mano-o-turkey. Hope you took him home.

I've gotten on several fresh lively ones that have spurred my palm (only once) and shins a few times. As SteelerFan suspects, I've taken a few spills too. Nothing serious but would have made good video.

BBD

He got the bird so the story has a happy ending!   I'm no speed demon but I get to them as fast as possible.  Like someone else posted I think that comes from the early years when the guns and shells were not comparable to what we are using now.

Happy

Back before hevi shot I used to get to them pretty quick. Nowadays they are either dead or moving faster than I am going to.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

appalachianassassin

im on em very quick. if I don't he might flop 150 yds of the side of the mountain before I catch up with him.

Chris O

I was taught to get on them quick so that is what I do.I know one person who was hunting with his wife out of a blind and he shot the bird and just laid the gun down in the blind to get out and retrieve the bird and when he got there the bird started trying to get away so he started yelling for his wife to bring the gun as he was running around trying to get a stomp on the bird.He finally caught up to it and got the bird,but I always carry my gun to the bird also.

sixbird

I try to focus on their head after the shot. If it's up, I get there asap. If it's flopping around, the bird is for all intents and purposes dead so I might just sit and savor the moment. Think about all that just happened and revel in the experience...

TRG3

A flopping turkey can inflict some damage with those spurs, so I usually begin to gather up my stuff for the walk back to the truck as the turkey takes his last breaths.

falltoms

I'm on them quickly. Even though they are usually dead before they hit the ground, I still find myself getting to them as quick as I can. But I have no idea why

Cut N Run

I keep the gun on them for a minute or two, but since most I shoot are 25 yards or less.  That Hevi shot really thumps them and I haven't needed to chase one in 20 years.

I give thanks when I get to the bird, then I pick up the spent shell and any loose feathers.  Force of habit I guess,  I don't want anybody else to know where I shot one.  Anytime I find a spent hull in the woods I look around to see if it is a good location.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

tha bugman

100% Bolt....Got to get my foot on his neck as soon as possible!

TauntoHawk

I've mortally wounded 1 turkey that I know about that got away, I shot and he went down like bricks so I took my time with standing up (legs asleep) packing my stuff up gun leaning against the tree. When I heard flapping I figured it was the last little death flop so I looked over my shoulder to see the bird up, wing dragging on the ground running as fast as he could away through the timber. By the time I got my gun up he was out of sight and when I ran up there I no longer could see or hear him. I searched for hours but could not find him, he either crawled under a log I didn't find or made it to a large field with waist high grass I looked everywhere I could be did not recover that bird and it was the last day of the season, it ate me up (still bothers me) that I didn't get to that bird the way I should have so I am always getting right after them since that day no matter how flattened I think they are. No Idea what I did other than I must have pulled the shot low he was well in range, gun dialed in, no brush but I clearly didn't hit his head good and break what needed broke.

I've had some good dashes since then mostly for other people I was calling for, My wife's first bird I made a dash for turkey calls flying out of half open pockets as I jumped a stone wall, when I got to that bird it had enough fight to stand up stagger sideways and start to run. My wife says we were running side by side eye balling each other for a brief moment before I came in with a flying elbow. He was peppered good in the neck but that was a big ol Tom at 24.5lbs and he wasn't going down without giving me a good beating in return in those final moments.

Another was a Vet hunter I had 2yrs back, that story was one for the books as we bumped the bird walking in, he settled down and responded down in a creek bottom we called him in and he spooked at 50yds ran across a field and settled down again we called him in this time to 19yds and again the hunters movement spooked the bird who ran off putting but again I got him to turn around and work back a 3rd time and this time he shot him at 35yds but body shot him. Bird rolled right over his back and sprung to his feet. I somehow half dove half barrel rolled between two strands off a barbed wire fence without getting hung up and me and that bird threw down in a rose bush. That's been the only bird to actually get a chance to spur me but he got his licks in but I had the final say once I got my hands around his neck. That bird took horrible pictures half broke fan and no feathers on his neck left.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

daddyduke

After i visibly verify i shot him. I go get him. (Try to say that 3 times fast)
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

guesswho

In my youth I was like a fat kid on a pancake.  Now I usually just sit there with a follow up shot on standby.  Once everything is settled down I'll walk over to him.   Especially if other birds were present, I like for them to be long gone before I get up.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dutch@fx4

I haul azz to get there. Always have.must be the adrenaline rush.