OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's Your "Zero to Turkey" Time?

Started by Spurs Up, June 10, 2017, 06:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

With 3 1/2" Hevi 7's out of my 835, the birds I shoot are dead when I pull the trigger.  I can only remember 1 or 2 that even flopped.  I usually just eject the empty, put another in the tube and stay seated watching the down bird.  I'll probably regret not going to the down bird one day but I haven't had the need to jump and run.  I've killed birds from 12 yards to 38 yards with the bird at 38 never moving when I pulled the trigger with the 7's.

1turkeyhunter

I'm like the fast and the curious! Don't want 'em to get away, and curious of what the hell I got! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

All depends on the shot. Wide open chip shot I'm in no hurry. If it was through brush or at extended range then I move a little faster.

Borat

I can't imagine any Olympic sprinter beating me to a turkey after my gun goes off on a longbeard. I sprint to every bird, every shot, regardless of how clear or close.

Additionally, I don't believe in stepping on a turkey's head/neck. I've developed a quick snatch for their legs and I go all in when I reach for them. 90% of the time they go from the laying on the dirt to over my shoulder in one fluid motion. At that point I will relax and enjoy the moment, reflecting on what went right and looking at why it went right at that specific set up. For the 10% of time it doesn't go swiftly, I pretty quickly set the bird down, get a better grip, and swing them over the shoulder for the second attempt. One of my main concerns throughout this process is preserving my gobbler. As much as possible I want every picture to show and capture his magnificence, which is why I handle this process delicately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trkehunr93

I know it's not safe but I run everytime, I gotta get to'em.  A hunting mentor of mine hunted with a man that he would joke with and tell him if he didn't slow down he was going to beat the shot over there.  I've had one stunned turkey in my career that got up and tried to run off because of me misjudging the distance so I take no chances. 

g8rvet

I have never shot one that was not instantly dead, so I just take my time.  I am also selling real estate in New York - Brooklyn Bridge is my current listing.

I like to step on their head, take out my pocket knife and end him quickly-scramble his eggs, so to speak.  I ring a duck or goose neck as quickly as I get them, so Mr Tom gets the same consideration.  If I am in a field and he is close, I figured a followup is easier from my sitting position, so I usually wait for him to finish his flop-which I have never had to do in a field.   

One great story was from a buddy of mine that is a pretty good turkey killer.  He almost always tags out on both FL and GA (I live near the line, his house is in FL, most of his property in GA).  He was hunting one opening day and realized he had one shell in his vest and none in his truck and was already dropped off and ready to head in, a long way from his house.  Just said to himself he would only shoot a clean shot and then jump up and get him, like he has done many times (he is, or was, one fast white boy, played CB in HS and was a track runner).  So he headed in and heard a bird nearby at first light.  Called him in for a slam dunk shot.  He lines him up and shoots and as he gets up, Old Tom takes off at a wobbly run, too wounded too fly, but his legs are not too bad.  He tries jumping on him once and the bird gets away.  And the race is back on, one running for his life and the other running for his supper.  Can't seem to knock him down when he catches him and kicks him, so he is pizzed and the next time he catches up to him, he pulls the empty Black Eagle off his back and does his best impression of Tiger Woods trying to drive the green on a par four.  That does the trick on both the Tom and the wood stock of his gun!  He still gets fired up telling the story of how dumb he was and how his dad had driven around to getting him and there he stands with a dead turkey, a broken gun and silly grin on his face. 

Another epic was my nephew, long story short he employs his uncle's technique of a knife to the head on a not so dead turkey.  Sticks him in the top of his head with a Sunday pocket knife (little blade).  He turned around to his dad to laugh and the Tom stands up with the knife sticking out of his head like an Indian Headdress and he is on the warpath.  He unslings his gun and says, F this and shoots him again.  It may be a made up story but both he and his dad swear it is the truth.  My next bird I killed that year, I stuck the knife in the birds head with my boot on it and sent him a picture text on the phone that said 'This is how you do it".  :OGturkeyhead:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

derek

I tend to haul azz after the shot.  Only exception would be if there's other birds around that I can hunt tomorrow and don't really want to spook. 

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

grayfox

The first thing I do is pump another round into the chamber if I'm using my 870 & then I try to get to him pretty quick. As to how fast depends on how he reacts to the shot. And when I do get to him I approach with extreme caution usually with my gun up ready to put another round into him if I have to. Done seen & heard too many horror stories on how other hunters had a turkey or deer get away after being shot & thinking it was over. I don't plan on that ever happening to me. Years a ago I shot one in the side of the wing at 33 steps after he whirled around to run off after he had seen me. He flopped & halfway run down the hill on one leg toward me. He then fell with his wings spread out within 4-5 yards of me like he was dead. I slid another shell into the magazine of my Beretta & watched him for several minutes with no sign of movement but I didn't think he was dead. I got up & eased over to him with my gun on him & then he jumped up & started running off. I shot him again in the back of the head. I don't know how far he may have went but I didn't plan on finding out. In my book it ain't over until you got your hand around his legs hauling him out over your shoulder headed to the truck :fud:.

bowmaster5687

I let them flop unless it's apparent that things are "picking up."

jakesdad

used to run to everyone of em. now i just 1)  shuck in another shell and watch for a minute or two.  2)no sign of life i get up and walk with the gun at the ready. not like a point man going thru the jungle ready but ready enough just in case. if on the rare occasion the bird flops out of sight i usually go straight to the bird. pick up bird then walk back to the tree,sit down and give thanks for what i was just blessed with.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Bearhunter247

I try my best to race the shot to the birds head. It's what my dad taught me so it's what I'll always to