OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ticks

Started by Bowguy, May 31, 2017, 08:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Seen some posts about the critters. I've never been afraid of them even when embedded. This season about a week in after tests for some other issues I was tested for Lyme. I tested positive. Dr said it looks by some numbers he used the they're in me good.
No big deal cause I'm not feeling a thing.
Dr gives me Docy cycline. Man that stuff was rough on me. Made me really  nauseous. Again something I can handle but I was insanely beat. Sometimes slept the whole weekend day n night.
Slept coffee break at work n lunchtime.
Dr said the Lyme bacteria was dying off n releasing toxins that's why the issue.
Now I went again to Dr n tested positive for babesi. Another tick disease.
Kind of killed my whole season.
Guys it's been posted before but protect yourself

mikejd

Sux man. Me and my wife both have lyme. Also from NJ.

She has a dozen other issues all related to the lyme.
It's no joke. I have them on my mind everything I do now. Don't even want to let my kids outside.

I have a treestand I need to move and don't even want to go do it now.

I have been on 3 cycles of Doxy in the last 8 months. Symptoms not so bad right now.

I have heard some good things about the elimitick camo. Probably going to give that a try.

Cut N Run

Sorry to hear that.  I hope you get to feeling better soon.

A few of my friends contracted that Red Meat Virus from ticks. Chicken, turkey, & fish is about all they eat anymore.  Two other friends caught Ehrlichiosis that really knocked them down for a bit. 

I have no use for ticks and get great pleasure burning the little pests whenever I find them.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

milertyme03

They are rampant in northern NY.  I treat my hunting clothes with permethrin and have yet to get one with that.  The last 2 days at work I have picked up 4, luckily I found them b4 they attached.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mikejd

Quote from: milertyme03 on May 31, 2017, 09:02:43 AM
They are rampant in northern NY.  I treat my hunting clothes with permethrin and have yet to get one with that.  The last 2 days at work I have picked up 4, luckily I found them b4 they attached.

Were abouts in NY you seeing them.

nativeks

My wife works in a medical lab. They thought our son had tularemia a couple months ago. I've had over 50 tick bites this year. Last weekend I had 13 and that was using deet based repellent. My wife says it will be a miracle if I don't end up with a tickborne disease.

Will

Scary stuff no doubt. If you could see the the environment my oldest son has hunted, marshes, woods and thickets it was amazing how well we prevented tick bites. A few summers ago he gets a tick bite after rolling in the yard with the dog and he gets the disease. Be mindful it goes farther than hunting season. I still think there is a lot of unknowns with Lymes.

milertyme03

I'm is st Lawrence county.  Make sure u guys use permethrin! 

Turkeyman

We're kind of lucky in one aspect. Permethrin appears to be the only truly effective deterrent....just think if we didn't have it. Hunting KS several years ago sans permethrin I used to pick off about a dozen ticks a season. Now I treat all my clothes from hat down to my socks. I use a concentrate purchased from Amazon and mix to the formula C1V1=C2V2 to attain the .5% concentration.

MickT

DEET is only a repellent, and a poor one for ticks at that. That just means the tick keeps running until it finds a place you missed to attach.

Use permethrin. I have literally watched ticks fall off my treated clothes. They die if they don't get off in time. I rarely find one crawling on me either. We all think it won't happen to us until it does. I have seen the lingering effects of tick-borne illnesses on friends and it can be downright unpleasant.

A company called Insect Shield in NC will permanently treat your clothes with permethrin. Anyone who works in the woods should consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutch@fx4

I wish it was approved for humans in Canada..we Van get it in the horse section of the local farmers supply.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Bowguy on May 31, 2017, 08:15:42 AM
Seen some posts about the critters. I've never been afraid of them even when embedded. This season about a week in after tests for some other issues I was tested for Lyme. I tested positive. Dr said it looks by some numbers he used the they're in me good.
Dr gives me Docy cycline. Man that stuff was rough on me. Made me really  nauseous. Again something I can handle but I was insanely beat. Sometimes slept the whole weekend day n night.
Dr said the Lyme bacteria was dying off n releasing toxins that's why the issue.

Hope you are getting better, I had a buddy that had a number of issues from Lyme's. As some had said "Permethrin" I use Sawyers and have not had a tick in years, still always check but that stuff works.

MK M GOBL

tha bugman

Ticks are bad this year IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Quote from: MK M GOBL on May 31, 2017, 10:06:07 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on May 31, 2017, 08:15:42 AM

Hope you are getting better, I had a buddy that had a number of issues from Lyme's. As some had said "Permethrin" I use Sawyers and have not had a tick in years, still always check but that stuff works.

MK M GOBL
Thanks I actually did use sawyers n still would up w a couple. The disease was older though

HFultzjr

I don't even know how I would hunt or scout without using permethrin!
:newmascot: