OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ticks

Started by Bowguy, May 31, 2017, 08:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

Sawyers, as mentioned, and personally I retreat every two weeks for good measure and ensure full coverage. 

What hasn't been mentioned is keep your shirt tucked in your pants, and keep your pants tucked into your boots. That prevents them from getting under your treated outer clothes, keeps them on the surface where they continue to be exposed to the active ingredient.

If I notice my pant leg comes untucked, the hunt stops until I get it tucked back in and laces tied tight. I will not wear low cut "hiker" style boots for this reason, everything is 8" high or better to keep pant legs tucked in and in place.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Ihuntoldschool

Yes do what you can to keep a strong healthy immune system for best defense.  I don't believe in using those chemical treatments but if it gives you more confidence then go for it.

tree-rat sniper

One of my dogs tested positive for lyme several years ago, fortunately I haven't picked it up yet.  I started using Sawyer brand back in 2014 after one afternoon hunt landed 6 ticks on me (had Repel/deet on my & my gear back then.  The Sawyer seems to do the trick, haven't had any in a couple of years.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

quavers59

I was tested positive for lyme  2 junes ago while clearing brush around the home. Found the tick- but before I could get treated-- I had a horrible headache in the very rear of my brain along with eyes that would not focus and I could not walk without falling.  Today-- I am ok. I got treated right away and that saved me.

njdevilsb

Sorry to hear about guys having complications in here from ticks.

I'm in Northern NY.  I've personally only ever had one on me that I know of.  This was about 5 years ago and it was attached.  It was only on me for about 30 minutes or less before I found it.  This was while we were checking trail cameras during the summer.  My brother, who isn't much of an outdoorsman also got one while walking the woods with me a couple springs ago.

I guess we are fortunate to have only had those 2 instances so far.  My dad is in the woods just as much as I am and he has never found one embedded.  We treat with Sawyers very regularly.  I treat about twice as often as they suggest during hunting seasons.  Pretty much any time I step foot in the woods during the rest of the year I give my clothes a spray down as well.

There were a few times this spring during turkey season that I thought for sure I was going to have a tick after seeing some of the stuff we were about to walk through.  I give myself a thorough check and take a shower after I get out of the woods.

Ticks are what has stopped us from butchering our own deer.  After we let them hang overnight, the next day there will be at least 5, usually more, that have come to the surface of the hair.

husker

I'm a total believer in Permethrin.   Haven't seen a tick since I started using it.  This season a buddy and I belly crawled 75 yards through tall grass to get to the edge of a corn field.  I treat my clothes, he does not.  He had the rascals climbing on his hands and face and found 12 of them on his chest after our hunt.   I didn't find a single one.  The stuff works!

DirtNap647

as much as I love to hunt turkeys I would not if it wasn't for permethrin. seen lyme disease do some nasty things to people

Bowguy

Idk guys I soaked my clothes in permethrin n waited til dry like the directions said but I still had ticks on me. For sure way less though.
The ilnesses were seemingly not brand new according to Drs.

You can get ticks walking, while shooting, cutting grass, walking dog, fishing, getting mail, watering plants, pulling weeds, hiking, riding quads, etc etc. it's almost impossible to protect fully.
You can be doing any of the aforementioned activities n go home,  strip down, inspect, but tomo when you get in your truck you still find one on your neck. At what point do we become less vigilant?
Guess when it snows hard and stays cold

GeinGobblers

Stupid bugs ruin many good times outdoors

Kylongspur88

Lyme is not common in Kentucky but our vet told us to get the dog vaccinated this year because dogs in our county are testing positive. This guy has been our family vet for over 25 years and a vet in this county for longer and this is the first year he's seen Lyme I'm this many animals. In the past it was here and there and usually in dogs that picked it up on hunting trips out of state but for some reason it is exploding this year. As for me I'm staying out of the woods as much as possible and if I do go in the woods I'm tucking in everything and spraying permithrine.

Scout24

As bad as the red meat allergy (Can never eat a burger or steak again!) or Lyme disease is, the Powassan virus is so much worse. It's fatal in 10-15% of the transmissions and can be passed on in 15 minutes after the bite compared to 24-36 hrs for Lyme. Plus it's an untreatable virus that attacks the central nervous system, very similar to encephalitis. Two have died this year on Cape Cod in Massachusetts already. Permethrin does work great but a few pounds of breast meat is not worth dying for.

Rapscallion Vermilion

The TickEncounter website from the University of Rhode Island has a ton of useful information on ticks, diseases, and prevention.

http://www.tickencounter.org

HFultzjr

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on July 01, 2017, 03:43:59 PM
The TickEncounter website from the University of Rhode Island has a ton of useful information on ticks, diseases, and prevention.

http://www.tickencounter.org

Nice site with lots of info.
:thanks: