OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Halloran Calls - what's the difference?  (Read 16606 times)

Offline Grey Owl

Halloran Calls - what's the difference?
« on: May 25, 2017, 08:54:48 AM »
Since joining this forum I've been reading & reading new and old posts. The one name in pot calls that comes up over and over again is David Halloran. Almost every "list" or "killer" type post will have multiple posts praising his Crystal Mistress &/or Twisted Sister calls.

Obviously, there are a lot of quality call makers but can somebody tell me what difference you see in Halloran pots that causes them to be so successfully used? Does he have a special design? Craftsmanship?

Thank you.

CMBOSTC

Re: Halloran Calls - what's the difference?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 08:57:29 AM »
It's the tone that everyone likes.

Offline Longbeardfever4ever

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:00:21 AM »
David simply makes a great sounding pot and he is consistent.  He won't be as personal with you as some other custom call makers simply because of how many he makes..but each call has that "pop", "ring", and "back end" that every one likes!
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:04:25 AM »
I agree with what everyone else already said and I'll add that they're user friendly, very easy running.

Offline Grey Owl

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:28:23 AM »
One thing I've noticed is that while other custom call makers allow for nearly unlimited options in wood combinations and surfaces that Halloran & Sneed only have a few options and build a lot of the same call. Maybe they prefer to perfect a few calls than offer so many options.

Offline longbeard11

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Grunt, Gobble, & Gills Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:28:56 AM »
I got a crystal mistress this spring after hearing hype about them for years, it's one of the best calls I've ever ran, and I have a lot of custom calls. It was always my go to this year when needing to really reach out and touch one, and it accounted for the best spring I've ever had. Called in18 longbeards to gun range, more to sight range, and loads of hens!! It just has that turkey sound to it!

CMBOSTC

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
One thing I've noticed is that while other custom call makers allow for nearly unlimited options in wood combinations and surfaces that Halloran & Sneed only have a few options and build a lot of the same call. Maybe they prefer to perfect a few calls than offer so many options.

There's pros and cons to both.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »
Don't over look David's ceramic, it's one of the best sounding ceramic pots on the market. Me personally I like the twisted sister a little better than the original crystal mistress.

Well said. This is 100 percent my thought as well.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 11:11:11 AM »
Don't over look David's ceramic, it's one of the best sounding ceramic pots on the market. Me personally I like the twisted sister a little better than the original crystal mistress.

Same here

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »

Same here
I'll echo the above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline beakbuster10

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »
You can't go wrong with any of davids pots. They are just flat out turkey killers. Like others have said, most of his pots aren't truly "custom", BUT they kill turkeys. His sugartown sweetness is IMO one of if not the best two siders money can buy and it can be had at a fraction of the price as a lot of the other stone cold turkey killing two siders. I don't leave home without the sugartown sweetness unless it's a downpour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »
His pot calls are outstanding.

His strikers are outstanding.

His box calls are outstanding.

His customer service …
You decide.

Offline dogbox

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 12:14:43 AM »
I have talked to David at nashville and emailed him a few times.  He always came off as a stand up guy and seemed was happy to help.  Will buy more stuff as my budget allows.

Offline Scout24

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »
   For me, it's how effective his CM is my turkey woods, I doubt many local hunters even know who he is never mind own his calls. My TS sounds so close to my CM I don't even carry it. I hadn't used a box call for years till my wife bought me his checkered short box for Father's Day a few years back and it killed a bird the first time out. Once again, it's different sounding than the production calls that 90% of locals run.

Offline OHturkey85

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 06:05:03 PM »
I have been running Davids calls for about five or six years now and there hasn't been year that one doesn't bring one to the gun. The first time I used the crystal mistress I was fortunate to get a bird. I met David down in Nashville this year and he spent a good amount of time talking to me and my friend about turkey hunting he's a nice guy to talk to. I can't personally say that there is a difference between his calls and many of the other great call makers out there, because by no means am I an expert but his calls work well in the field for me.