Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trying to keep the wife happy...What to do when you have too many tails....

Started by Sevenyearsandcounting, May 23, 2017, 08:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

I just put everything in my office/call room.  There's no hunting associated stuff anywhere else in the house. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mikejd

I'm not allowed to get any new tail either. But then again neither is she.

neal

I finished a room in my pole shed for some stuff that didn't fit in my first man cave in my house. I also have my world slam of fans up and there's another 10 on another wall. Then I have 20 or so in my shop too. Plus 7 full body mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

trkehunr93

After almost 25 years I really only care about the fan I have off the my first spring bird.  I only keep beards and spurs now.  I've got a few other fans but that one will never be discarded.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: neal on May 24, 2017, 09:01:28 PM

I finished a room in my pole shed for some stuff that didn't fit in my first man cave in my house. I also have my world slam of fans up and there's another 10 on another wall. Then I have 20 or so in my shop too. Plus 7 full body mounts.

Holy fans Batman! That's impressive right there.... And a wall covered in turkey fans, who need wallpaper right?

I plan on hanging mine and my girlfriends firsts up, she's just got the Eastern Tom. I'll soon to have my first ever, first I got myself (jake), first tom I shot myself, now first Merriam...

Fullfan

Hang  them in the garage, I sure hope you do not elk and deer hunt.
Don't gobble at me...

ferocious calls

The great room (kitchen/living room) at my place has more of a trappers feel with furs hanging.
The call shop gets wallpapered with the fans. Some good ideas for display here.

I make a 3 tail holder and line them up around the shop.

g8rvet

I have one in my den, one in my office, one at my duck hunting cabin, and one in my gun cabinet on the back wall (custom in built cabinet).  Not allowed to have one at the beach(per momma's instructions), but that would be odd anyways.  I also hang one on the outside of my barn every year.  They will last a little over a year just hung outside.  All the ones I have kept mean something to me for one reason or another.  The regular ones I either toss or take the feathers out of and make a few pens for Great nephews and nieces.

I have killed a bajillion ducks and geese and have exactly one mount.  Same for deer, just one.  No fish.  I am not that much into mounting critters.  No judgement on those who do, but the hunt is locked in my cranium and that is enough for me.

The Mason jar is a cool idea.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

mtns2hunt

Teach the wife to Turkey hunt. She maybe more appreciative. Another room is always an option. I use up one tail a year on my decoys. I really like the realisum. One mount in my living room, a B&C mtn lion full mount climbing down the wall. That's enough.

My office has a dozen mounts, like the redneck look. Working on basement mancave with independant air conditioning. Have two Merriam full mount turkeys to go in it and two really nice Rio's in the frezzer waiting to go to the Taxidermist. Next year a Florida bird. Hate restrictions: be creative.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

firedup

How about a nicely framed pic of you and the bird?  Wife mite be more tolerant of that...and with the background and everything...just as many or more memories maybe.  Just a thought.

mikejd

I have never saved a fan. I have removed them but always ask what am i going to do with this thing.

I have saved a feather or two.

captpete

I have one fan on the wall. The pic is of the wife and her 1st bird. On the other side are the spurs, beard and schell casing from my 1st 20ga. bird. This is in our living room.

eorlando

Quote from: captpete on May 29, 2017, 01:45:04 PM
I have one fan on the wall. The pic is of the wife and her 1st bird. On the other side are the spurs, beard and schell casing from my 1st 20ga. bird. This is in our living room.

Where did you get the stands for your euro mounts? I have some that are very similar. I bought them from a guy of archery talk that made them. I can't remember his name to try and get in contact with him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

captpete

Quote from: eorlando on May 29, 2017, 01:53:55 PM

Where did you get the stands for your euro mounts? I have some that are very similar. I bought them from a guy of archery talk that made them. I can't remember his name to try and get in contact with him.

I got mine from a guy on Archerytalk also and have no idea who he is either. I have 2 others that are wall mounted, but want the bases so I set them on a stand like these 2. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

eorlando

Quote from: captpete on May 29, 2017, 01:59:56 PM
Quote from: eorlando on May 29, 2017, 01:53:55 PM

I got mine from a guy on Archerytalk also and have no idea who he is either. I have 2 others that are wall mounted, but want the bases so I set them on a stand like these 2. If I figure it out I'll let you know.
Definitely let me know. I would love to get some more from him. I bet it was 10 years ago that I got them. I thought his handle was something like hollybarrel or something like that. I tried searching on there but came up empty handed. I thought he was from Michigan.