OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Trying to keep the wife happy...What to do when you have too many tails....

Started by Sevenyearsandcounting, May 23, 2017, 08:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevenyearsandcounting

You could read that title in a bunch of ways but of course I'm saying what do I do when I havthree tails of birds that mean a lot to me? But not enough space?

Right now I have my one Rio Grande(22lbs 10inch beard 3/4 spurs) first large eastern (23.5lbs, 8inch fat rope, 7/8 spurs most beautiful fan 23 feathers all intact). But I also have this years bird 22.5 10.5 and inch spurs. Very unique bird.

But....His fan was destroyed. When he came out semi strutting he was already missing two middle tail feathers and after he did the death flop he lost two more. His fan is in rough shape.

I want to keep all of them displayed. How does someone pick between these three? The Rio stays. It'll be my only one. But one of these two brutes needs to stay.

Now here's the choice. 1. Force my wife to live with all three and have a massively cluttered living room of fans. This is my choice....but also could lead to an angry wife.i can deal with that...for awhile.
2. Keep the beautiful fan of the first big bird, replace the beard and spurs on the mount. Take the spurs and beard of the original and but beard in a shotgun shell and hang it on a peg and start a spur chain.
3.start hanging every fan of every bird leading to divorce by fan hoarding.

Sevenyearsandcounting

Not sure how to post a poll so just place number or suggestion in the comments!

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

HookedonHooks

I have two fans up, and she's got one. This year two more of mine are going up.... I suspect in the near future a seperate room will have to be used to display many of the tails.

But I'd say go for 3.

Greg Massey

I just place mine in a big box , and i can take them out anytime... i place a note on each fan and such...i have some on display at the hunting cabin with a full mounted bird...

TauntoHawk

http://turkeyfanman.com/limb-hanger-combo-wspur-pins.html

3 fan mount with beard and spurs all in the space of one mount. Put the beat up one in the back.

I have one of these with my wife's first three birds on it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

LaLongbeard

How many pairs of shoes does she have? If she's like most she's got a lot ...tell her 1 gobbler fan and 1 pair of shoes lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Happy

Can always remove the tail feathers from the fan that isn't in good shape. Clean them up and put them in a mason jar.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Ericbrooks

I don't keep any tails.
And I wouldn't hang any in my living room.
It's just feathers man, a happy wife is FAR more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grayfox

Quote from: Ericbrooks on May 23, 2017, 09:35:30 PM
I don't keep any tails.
And I wouldn't hang any in my living room.
It's just feathers man, a happy wife is FAR more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2  If she ain't happy, you sure won't be.

MK M GOBL

This will hold 8 And you can hang it on the wall too, I have 24 fans up in a spare room :)

MK M GOBL

wvmntnhick

Not sure how many birds you've killed but I'd get rid of the one with missing feathers. They don't make a good display when missing 4 feathers. If you've got pics, beard and spurs, you're set. As mentioned before, upset wife...

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I have no decorative influence on the main floor and upstairs, however, I don't want any hunting related stuff in my living room or family room anyway.  We have many friends who don't hunt and I see no reason to saturate them with mounts and make them uncomfortable. I also don't find it very tasteful.  My trophy room is my entire basement and my wife allows me to do as I wish down there with mounts, etc.

To me, one or two fans looks ok but you need to keep a trophy room uncluttered for it to be presentable and tasteful.  Too much stuff compressed into too little space looks Redneck in my opinion.

You'll get to the point where you stop caring about fans.  Hopefully that's before your wife decides she's has enough of the clutter and tells ya so long!

tha bugman

I normally don't ask permission and do what I want to...the way I look at it one way or the other one of us is going to be miserable so why should it be me?   :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :z-dizzy: