OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Average Distance

Started by Zombie1978, May 16, 2017, 09:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 16, 2017, 08:14:51 PM
I've killed them close (6 steps) and I've killed them a "bit" over the 40 yard rule.  On average I'm going to say 25-30.

Pretty much how I do it. Most of my misses were on real close birds. I just put a scope on my shotgun this year and it sure seems a lot easier on my eyes for 30 yard shots.  30 is my preferred distance.

Bowguy

Never paced or measured but I'd bet 20-25 yards.

Farmboy27

Quote from: Bowguy on May 16, 2017, 08:32:11 PM
Never paced or measured but I'd bet 20-25 yards.
Same here. Never thought to measure. I'm just happy with a dead bird. But I know I wouldn't have needed a magnum 12 gauge for most of mine.

MK M GOBL

With the Shotgun is 15-17 yards and with the bow 7-10 yards.

MK M GOBL

JMalin

This season, the average has probably been over 30.  Only one bird under 20 this year.

BowBendr

Don't know about my lifetime average, but the past 2 seasons it has been about 6 yds....very frustrating and tense. For some reason they have all ended up directly in my lap, it is usually not like that. I normally opt to set up in a style to shoot them when they pop into sight at 20-25 here in the mountains.

Gods of Thunder

Blong

You guys need to put your decoys farther out!????

J-Shaped

25-30 yards on average, though once they get inside of 40 I'm usually gonna take the first good shot I'm presented with. I do enjoy the up close and personal encounters when they happen, though.

High plains drifter

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Blong on May 16, 2017, 09:44:35 PM
You guys need to put your decoys farther out!????
:TooFunny:

Its obvious.

My avg shot distance is ~36 yards. I take the first clean shot he gives me once inside 50.

Vabirddog

Over many years (almost 40) the average distance is close to 25yds and I have stepped off or calculated the distance after almost all of those shots. Of course I have always tried to keep shots 40 yds or less. The va game comm. calculated the average distance of kills or misses as part of the gobbler survey. The average kill distance was 27 yds. The average for misses?...32 yds! I think as some have eluded to that </= 30 yd mark is a magic number where less obstacles, optimum pattern, and confidence collides to provide the best condition for clean kills. ymmv

grayfox

40 yards for killed birds.
36 yards including a couple missed birds.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

hobbes

Average the last three years has been approximately 25 yards.  I don't recall all distances before that.

It's probably a hair more, but not much different for all the years before that.  My typical plan is to let them keep coming to 30 then shoot as soon as I have a shot.  Between 30+ out to 40, i shoot if they start to look like they may leave.