OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Average Distance

Started by Zombie1978, May 16, 2017, 09:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie1978

What is your average distance you have killed a turkey? Mine is 18 yards.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Spitten and drummen

I have really never made a practice of stepping off all my kills. Only a handfull. I would guesstimate around 20 yards.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

30 seems to be that magic number where the pattern is smashing but not so small I have to worry about missing in close so I don't let them get much inside that most the time when its open.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SteelerFan

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 16, 2017, 09:24:15 AM
30 seems to be that magic number where the pattern is smashing but not so small I have to worry about missing in close so I don't let them get much inside that most the time when its open.

Yep... X2

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

nitro

Positioning is a critical part of turkey hunting. When possible, I try to sit where I hope the bird is in range when I see him. That isn't always possible, but I make an attempt to choose well.

That said , most of my birds die inside 25 yards.. I want to kill him at the first opportunity. Too many things can happen inside what my mentor called " never, never land".

I don't hunt many field turkeys anymore.They are evil.
Royal Slam 2008

davisd9

30-40 yards. I do not want them closer than 30 if I can help it cause things get a bit difficult closer cause of the worked up nerves and adrenaline. First shot I have in that range and I shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bill Cooksey

Just a bit under 30 I'd guess. For many years I mostly hunted around fields since that's where I had access. More woods turkeys the last several years brought the average down. In the woods I rarely shoot past 25.

mspaci

This

Quote from: nitro on May 16, 2017, 09:47:46 AM
Positioning is a critical part of turkey hunting. When possible, I try to sit where I hope the bird is in range when I see him. That isn't always possible, but I make an attempt to choose well.

That said , most of my birds die inside 25 yards.. I want to kill him at the first opportunity. Too many things can happen inside what my mentor called " never, never land".

I don't hunt many field turkeys anymore.They are evil.

joey46

28 paces on average - I try to always step it off.  Main reason is the decoy set up is usually 25 and within 3 yards of the decoy results in a big boom. :turkey2:

This season one was 27 and the other about 15 due to the terrain.  I seldom pattern a gun at over 30 anymore.

appalachianstruttstopper

15 to 25, so avg probably be 20yds

Forked lighting

I like 25 to 3o yds to easy to miss when they are real close,but you nust deal with cards that are dealt

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Blong

As soon as I can get on him, whether it be 50 or 5 yards. I think my avg is 28 yds this year.

nativeks