OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Average Distance

Started by Zombie1978, May 16, 2017, 09:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOOSESLAYER

kyturkeyhunter4

Around 20 - 25 yards seems to be the magic number for me.

Gobspur

Looked at my journal.  31 yards is the average.

bghunter777

I have killed turkeys from 10 to 70+ I know this site does not condone over 40 but the question was asked. I try to not make a habit of shooting much over 50. To answer the question I would say my average fall between 40-45 yards

beakbuster10

5 yards ;) bowhunting turkeys gets them in your face

Outside of a blind I'd say 20 yards is about the average

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Closest was 12 yards, longest was 38 yards.  My average is probably 18-20 yards.

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

eggshell

I have no freaking idea, as I judge every set up and approaching bird on it's own. If he is relaxed and coming I let them come, if they're acting flighty or veering off they take the heat inside 40-45. If he wants to stop and stare me down at 40 he's getting an eyeball full of #5s. I would say my favorite range is 30 yards. Good size pattern and dense enough a little movement or off a bit he's still dead. Rarely do i let one inside 20 yards, that is where my misses happen. I  had one pop up on me this year at 10-15 and I missed him clean trying to pick him off in a tiny opening, but I made his ears ring for a long time. It was a pure brush trap and I had to let him walk away after the miss...it was one of those OHHHH Sh#t birds.

stinkpickle

It's been somewhere in the low 20's this year.  16 was the closest, and 26 was the longest.  The others have been somewhere in the middle.

Cottonmouth

mtns2hunt

Always a ot of talk on this forum about over 40 yard shots. However, from this rather subjective post, it appears that over 40 is the exception rather than the rule. I did kill two birds in New Mexico at about 46 and 47 yards in very open areas but every thing since has been under 30. Seems terrain has a major has a major impact.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

tha bugman

25-30 I would say would be average....some much closer some further

Cut N Run

Average around 23 yards.  Still never shot one past 35 yards.  I hunt woods mostly and don't get many long distance chances.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Gooserbat

I've killed them close (6 steps) and I've killed them a "bit" over the 40 yard rule.  On average I'm going to say 25-30.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Rio Fan

I would say my average distance is between 25-30 yards.