turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What should I do?!?

Started by SheGotHoOks, May 09, 2017, 10:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SheGotHoOks

I had an amazing season this year.. I dropped my first bird hunting by myself! He was an older bird that was pretty smart., rarely gobbled and didn't answer calls. He weighed 17.5lbs, had a 10 1/4" beard and his spurs were 1 3/8" (total score 65.6) my 2nd biggest spurred bird.. all around extremely special to me..
so I let someone that is normally pretty good at cleaning up the spurs hang on to them so he could gt them ready for me., I told him I did NOT want them painted.., and when I went back to pick them up... guess what., they was painted ???? yes they look pretty good painted but I'm not the type that likes my spurs painted.. I want them to look like they did originally.. I'm gonna upload some pics.. b4 and after and any advice is greatly appreciated..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spaightlabs

Great bird - well done.

Darn shame about the spurs.  I wold guess if you can find someone with a media blasting cabinet they would hit this with some walnut shells or another soft media on lower pressure and clean 'em up.

Also, you should kick the person that did that in the nuts.

SheGotHoOks

yea I'm extremely upset about it... I hope I can gt them back to how they originally looked...

SheGotHoOks

and thank you!

Bowguy

Nice bird. What kinda paint did he use??

LaLongbeard

Nice gobbler. Easy fix on the spurs boil them for about 10-20min. this will not harm the spur and will make spur cap separate from bone and will proabably loosen paint. If not soak bone in paint thinner tilll paint comes off then wash with dish soap. I put mine in peroxide for a couple days makes them white but not the shinny paint white. You could also not peroxide them and just glue spur cap back on only thing is over time the leg bone will turn a yellow or brown color from handling and age .. up to you.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Greg Massey

All i do with mine is clean them up and use clear figure nail polish...on the spurs ....  those look pretty bad painted....sorry he did that....good luck

SheGotHoOks

Yea I'm not worried about the bone turning color all mine have that yellow color I just want the spur to look like it did when I got him., not like he went and had a pedicure

Yelper

The boiling method is easy and  the peroxide really turns the bone white. Some like it natural and some really white. I have both and like both methods.
Hopefully you can boil them and the paint will come off. Good luck and nice Bird.

Also in the future when you get some more nice spurs, a hacksaw is the cleanest way to cut the leg bone, makes a clean cut.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats on the bird :icon_thumright:

You might try a little lacquer thinner or finer nail polish remover and see if that won't loosen that paint enough that you can wipe it off. If not the walnut media idea might work as well if you know someone that reloads centerfire  cartridges they may have a brass tumbler.

renegade19

Nice bird.  I agree with the clear nail polish on spurs. 

SheGotHoOks

Thanks everybody... I'm just sick about it.., can't believe it!
I do have a question tho.. my daddy always had me wash with kerosene when I got paint on me... the paint came off never hurt my skin tho.. I wonder if it would work in this situation without hurting my spurs? Hmm..  I think I may try it on some of his painted spurs first tho!

Greg Massey

Quote from: SheGotHoOks on May 09, 2017, 01:08:48 PM
Thanks everybody... I'm just sick about it.., can't believe it!
I do have a question tho.. my daddy always had me wash with kerosene when I got paint on me... the paint came off never hurt my skin tho.. I wonder if it would work in this situation without hurting my spurs? Hmm..  I think I may try it on some of his painted spurs first tho!

I think if you do that they will always smell like kerosene ...

Bowguy

Birds gotta be degreased before mounting. I've actually seen guys use gas. Not something I've done or recommend but the smell didn't stay forever., kinda think kerosene may not stay smell wise either forever

Bowguy

What I personally might do is, since you haven't mentioned paint type is take some laquer thinner on a qtip n work that on the back away from the spur. I'll bet it breaks paint up. It may be time consuming but a little at a time n it'll come off. You've mentioned you wanted em natural. That's good. If you decide to try whitening though don't use bleach, it chemically changes bones n can cause flaking down the road