turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What should I do?!?

Started by SheGotHoOks, May 09, 2017, 10:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaightlabs

If you use a soft brass brush and keep doing what you are doing they will be back to perfect in no time.

Use a dremel on low speed to clean up the shoddy work he did on those cuts.

Rzrbac

Try one of those 4 sided fingernail polishers.  I've used in on claws and bones with good results.

SheGotHoOks

Quote from: Number17 on May 10, 2017, 07:41:30 AM
I have a box full of natural spurs that take me all of ten minutes to have them finished off a fresh leg.

Cut leg off high with loppers.
Put leg in bench vise and use hacksaw to remove the section of leg you want to keep.
A few slices with a razor knife in the right area removes scales and tendons in short time.
Brass wire wheel on a bench grinder cleans everything of the bone. (use leather gloves)
Wash with dish detergent. Rinse and dry well.
Rub a little borax into the bone to suck any excess moisture.

I have 20 some years worth of spurs in my spur box and they all look like they did the day I killed them.

What a shame about your spurs. 1 3/8" are a monster set of hooks

Thank you!! And yes they're my 2nd biggest set! I'd have died if he done that to my big boy..
The shorter one was 1 5/8" the other one was just a touch longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SheGotHoOks

I have a box full of natural spurs that take me all of ten minutes to have them finished off a fresh leg.

Put leg in bench vise and use hacksaw to remove the section of leg you want to keep.
A few slices with a razor knife in the right area removes scales and tendons in short time.
Brass wire wheel on a bench grinder cleans everything of the bone. (use leather gloves)

I have 20 some years worth of spurs in my spur box and they all look like they did the day I killed them.

Thank you!! And yes they're my 2nd biggest set! I'd have died if he done that to my big boy..

spaightlabs

Send those spurs on over and I'll get 'em painted up nice and purty for ya! :smiley-char092:

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: SheGotHoOks on May 10, 2017, 01:59:54 PM

Good gracious alive!
Those are some awesome Spurs!

hobbes

Congrats on the bird.  Your guy did a number on the spurs.  He not only painted them, but looks like he chewed the bone in two with his teeth.  I'd experiment with lightly scraping the paint off a small area of the spur.  I'm sure you can clean them up somehow.  A little steel wool will help after you do some scraping.  I'd use boiling as a last resort.  Afterwords I'd take a file to the bone and clean the edges up.

SheGotHoOks

this is how they look so far... tell me what ya think...

JMalin

Quote from: SheGotHoOks on May 10, 2017, 08:24:37 PM

I'd let them soak in acetone overnight, and I bet you could remove the rest of that white paint on the bone with a q-tip.

SheGotHoOks

Quote from: JMalin on May 10, 2017, 08:36:25 PM
Quote from: SheGotHoOks on May 10, 2017, 08:24:37 PM

I'd let them soak in acetone overnight, and I bet you could remove the rest of that white paint on the bone with a q-tip.

well the thing about tho is that the bone part will have to continue to be painted bc he cracked the bone to where it can't be added to my spur necklace ... so he used jb weld to fix it.. which is why he decided to paint em in the first place.. but I'm not real worried about the bone being painted ... the spur on the other hand I don't won't ANY of my spurs painted period... but if I remove the paint from the bone they'll look like hell..

SheGotHoOks

go back a few pics and u can see the jb weld..

JMalin

I'd call it good then. 

hobbes

I missed that you'd already got them cleaned up.  Nice job.

SheGotHoOks

Quote from: hobbes on May 10, 2017, 11:21:28 PM
I missed that you'd already got them cleaned up.  Nice job.
Thank u.. I'm still gonna do a lil more work to them but I'm happy that I've got all the paint off the actual spurs... I can live with em as they are now :)

dublelung

You could tape the spurs and paint the bone a different color white, getting the rough edges smooth, and call it done.