OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What should I do?!?

Started by SheGotHoOks, May 09, 2017, 10:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

acetone or rubbing alcohol may work also....

RemingtonRules

I would not start with Paint Thinner.  I would try some fingernail polish remover first.  Not knowing the type of paint is the issue.  Goof Off Pro sold in hardware stores in a small can would be my next step. 

Take a spur you may not care as much about and test each on a bare one to make sure the impact is to your liking.  Good luck.

SheGotHoOks

thanks again guys ... really appreciate you all taking the time to try to help me figure this out!

If I was to try the kerosene I'm not gonna try it on my spurs first.. and if I was to use it... I would for sure wash them in dawn dish soap afterwards...

I kno whatever I decide to do., I will try it first on some of his spurs considering that he done this time mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Paint thinner will not damage the bone nor  will kerosene
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

SheGotHoOks

Thank u!!!

appalachianassassin

just take a pocketknife and scrape the paint back off...simple

steveo

Nice Gobbler ! I would try paint remover, don't think it would harm them, maybe try on one that's painted to test, but am thinking that since they are new and painted recently should come off easily, let us know what you end up doing, good luck.

SheGotHoOks

looking any better??

Ozarks Hillbilly

SheGotHoOks

Great!! I think so too, not done yet but wanted to show y'all! I'm not so worried about the bone right now mainly just the spur and now that u can actually see the spur I'm feelin n better about it :)

dublelung

Acetone will be your friend. It'll work! Did the guy let his dog chew the spurs off the leg? That cut is nearly as bad as the paint. Did he say why he painted them after you told him you didn't want that done? Congrats on a fine gobbler!

SheGotHoOks

he is normally really great at it., and I guess where this bird was so special to me I got a little more upset than I should have, but anyhow I guess what happened is simply this he has two messed up arms., (well a broken wrist and a broken arm) and when he cracked the bone he used jb weld to fix it and then when he realized he got some on the spur he decided he'd paint them! 

Number17

I have a box full of natural spurs that take me all of ten minutes to have them finished off a fresh leg.

Cut leg off high with loppers.
Put leg in bench vise and use hacksaw to remove the section of leg you want to keep.
A few slices with a razor knife in the right area removes scales and tendons in short time.
Brass wire wheel on a bench grinder cleans everything of the bone. (use leather gloves)
Wash with dish detergent. Rinse and dry well.
Rub a little borax into the bone to suck any excess moisture.

I have 20 some years worth of spurs in my spur box and they all look like they did the day I killed them.

What a shame about your spurs. 1 3/8" are a monster set of hooks
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Swenny

Nice bird!   That is a shame about the spurs, i don't understand paint on spurs.  Post some pics after you get them straightened out.

tha bugman

Still a nice set of hooks!  Hope you can get them restored!