OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Planning an Ohio trip!

Started by Trkyhuntr4life, May 05, 2017, 04:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trkyhuntr4life

Hi guys!  Planning a last minute Hail Mary trip to save my season.  I took a job in Maryland this year at the first of April and moved from Mississippi.  Not the best timing but had to go.  I missed one in Mississippi and then called up 4 on three different occasions in Virginia but couldn't get a shot at them so it's just been 'one of those seasons' for me this year.  Figured I would try Ohio as my last effort Monday-Wednesday this week since starting Monday I can hunt all day.  I've looked into a couple places near Cambridge OH.  Not trying for any specific spots just an idea of what to look for or check out.  Last year was my best year ever with getting a bird in 5 different states, followed by this year as a big goose egg so far haha.  But I guess that's just turkey hunting.  Thanks for any help or advice!

tha bugman

Trkyhuntr4life

Quote from: tha bugman on May 05, 2017, 04:48:45 PM
Good luck!!

Thanks!   Hey any chance you used to be on the old Mississippi forum?

Happy

Md season is still in.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Trkyhuntr4life

Quote from: Happy on May 05, 2017, 05:03:35 PM
Md season is still in.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Haven't really looked int MD.  I'll have to check into a couple places I guess.

AndyH

There are a bunch of birds in that area, I know your on a limited time frame but it might benefit you to knock on some doors while your there. Watch out for the jakes there are a ton of them around this year. Good luck!

JK Spurs

Good luck! I'm heading to Ohio tomorrow evening to hunt Sunday & Monday...pretty close to Cambridge.
I like my turkey well peppered

Trkyhuntr4life

Quote from: JK Spurs on May 05, 2017, 09:14:08 PM
Good luck! I'm heading to Ohio tomorrow evening to hunt Sunday & Monday...pretty close to Cambridge.

Awesome!  Let me know how you do.  Maybe they will be gobbling good!

joey46

Was in southern OH May 2 - 4.  Just accompanying an old friend and taking pictures.  Rain 2 of the 3 days and little gobbling.  Plenty of hens around.  All appeared to be nesting.  If I was in Cambridge I'd jump on I-77 and run south to the biggest section of the Wayne National Forest I could find and drive around there.  Good luck.  Let us know how things go. 

JK Spurs

Quote from: Trkyhuntr4life on May 06, 2017, 02:45:49 AM
Quote from: JK Spurs on May 05, 2017, 09:14:08 PM

Awesome!  Let me know how you do.  Maybe they will be gobbling good!
Well, I came home empty handed. The weather was not the greatest...wind, rain, and cold. There's a ton of jakes though. I called in ten in two days. Never saw a Tom and only heard a couple gobbles. Pretty quiet...
I like my turkey well peppered

BABS9

I was in southern Ohio Washington Co. April 27-30. First two days were real hot lots of gobbling on the roost and throughout the morning. Got one first morning. The last day was pretty quiet. Gobbled on roost a little and shut up after that. Tons of birds though.

Turkey1986

Love Ohio! Big, hard gobbling easterns! I'm not familiar with any public spots there. My father in law and mother in law own and have a couple leases, so that's where I hunt when I go up. I agree with what was mentioned above, need to check into Maryland since you're already there.
I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. - Col. Tom Kelly

Trkyhuntr4life

Well day one down.  Thanks for the replies!  I started out this morning on some property that was a way too thick grass land.  Heard one way off but was in no way able to get to him.  So I go to my second spot I wanted to try and see 5 jakes right off the road where I wanted to park.  I end up climbing to a high hill  and spot a strutter with binoculars more than a mile away.  I check my coordinates and make a move.  The terrain here is really thick with openings here and there so you have to get through it to get to where you wanna go.  I literally belly crawled through some of the thickest cover I've ever hunted in.  Got to where I had marked him and spotted two gobblers feeding about 100 yards out.  When I call they both pick their heads up and start working my way.  They get about 75 yards and then pick their heads up, get nervous and go back the way they came and over the hill.  I get up and start to make a circle around them and when I top the hill notice there is a pop up blind in the wide open with a hen decoy leaning 3/4 of the way over 10 yards from it.  Im just snake bit this season!  I'm gonna try them again tomorrow and probably call it.  There is always next year!  On the plus side, Ohio is absolutely beautiful!

tha bugman

Yeah Ohio is definitely a bucket list state.  I got a chip to cash in Maryland one day when I make the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trkyhuntr4life

Well, looks like my season is over.  Didn't hear much this morning and haven't seen or heard anything since daylight.  This season was just a bust for me.  Better luck next year.