OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ray Eye and non camo attire

Started by jakesdad, May 05, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Saw a post on facebook from Ray about how after he went on a trip to Africa he has pretty much ditched the camo attire for hunting. Have seen lots of pics of him with dead turkeys in jean bibs and khaki shirts. Pretty cool going back to the " old way" if you will. May consider trying this myself. Have already ditched the camo pants on a few hunts and worn just plain green pants. My get brave enough this fall to go fully non camo and see how it goes.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

tha bugman

My buddy did this during deer season...did not have any problems killing deer for sure!  Probably will always wear camo for the turkeys. ;D

jakesdad

I rarely wear camo for deer. usually brown carhartt pants and a solid green fleece jacket(plus orange vest)

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

spaightlabs

Our grand dads all wore red checkered wool coats and whatever they had that was warm to hunt deer...

I have been scouting turkeys and had a good tom step on my foot in a dry creekbed while I was wearing jeans and a t shirt.  If you stay still, all clothing is camo.  Turkeys are amazing at detect movement...

dirtnap

I rarely wear camoflauge pants.  It sure hasn't affected success rates.

g8rvet

I have killed a mess of deer and ducks in a OD field jacket. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Rwgrobe

Seen pictures of his Hawaii turkey hunting trip in march and he killed 3 wearing a flowered Hawaiian shirt.

Swampchickin234

Ive killed way more deer in carhart pants and a button down flannel shirt than in camo. Bunch of ducks have fallen in the same manner. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbird22

He must not be getting it for free any more... :TooFunny:

I do agree that being still and not being silhouetted are more important than clothing but I ain't ditchin' my camo.

GobbleNut

While it is true that you can kill just about anything without wearing camo, the fact is that anybody that sees you hunting something without being decked out in camo is gonna think you are a goober,...and nobody with any self-respect as a turkey hunter wants to be thought of as a goober.... ;D :toothy12: :toothy9: :angel9:

Chris O

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 05, 2017, 09:55:04 PM
While it is true that you can kill just about anything without wearing camo, the fact is that anybody that sees you hunting something without being decked out in camo is gonna think you are a goober,...and nobody with any self-respect as a turkey hunter wants to be thought of as a goober.... ;D :toothy12: :toothy9: :angel9:
I actually saw a father and son hunting and the dad was all decked out in camo and the kid had olive drab coveralls.All I could think of was man that guy is a cheap skate for not getting his kid any camo

Dtrkyman

Camo sponsors must have dropped him????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixbird

I see these TV shows where the african hunter is all decked out in camo and the p/h has on khakis and an olive shirt. The p/h is standing right alongside the hunter. Afterwards, the hunter plugs the camo of his sponsor...HAH!
That said, I think you can get away with a little more movement and not get caught with camo on...If nothing else, it makes me FEEL more hidden...  ;)

J-Shaped

Quote from: Rwgrobe on May 05, 2017, 08:45:45 PM
Seen pictures of his Hawaii turkey hunting trip in march and he killed 3 wearing a flowered Hawaiian shirt.

But that WOULD be considered camo in Hawaii  ;D

Longshanks

Not sure if you have ever hunted game that has not had any to very little pressure but harvesting them doesn't require much camouflage if any. Come down here to MS and turkey hunt out on one of these open hardwood ridges and tell me how you do with no camo. Hunting without gloves or a face mask can make a dramatic difference down here where the turkeys are hunted daily for close to two months.  Deer at a distance doesn't seem to matter much shooting them with a rifle but hunt pressured deer within 30-40yds with a bow and see what happens. Turkey hunting is a little different now than it was 40yrs ago when we were the only ones in our area that hunted. We still had better results with full camo. We saw a big difference between hunting with the old army camo and Mossy Oak bottomland and treestand when it first came out.