turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ray Eye and non camo attire

Started by jakesdad, May 05, 2017, 04:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilbucksndux

Im not sure that I would try and hunt turkey without camo,but I have and will for everything else.
Gary Bartlow

Gooserbat

Drab earth tones will always be friendly when hunting.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Ericbrooks

Whats the point??? It's nothing new.
Obviously plenty of animals have been killed with a loincloth and spear. 
Most people use what camo is appealing to their eye,  not what is proven to be more effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stinkpickle

Camo patterns are more for people...just like almost everything else.

stinkpickle

Quote from: warrent423 on May 06, 2017, 04:34:08 PM
Never had any respect for that Ray Eye guy anyway. Anyone who believes calling is everything when it comes to turkey hunting is a fool. ;)

I know, right?  It's not like he wrote the bible on turkey hunting, or anything.  Oh, wait...    :D

mudhen

Since I stopped caring about what other grown men wear and spend their own money on, life has been more enjoyable...

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Tail Feathers

Many years ago I read an interview with an African PH.  He said camo was what poachers wore over there, gentlemen hunters wore khakis and drab colors only.
I see on some of the TV shows that sponsors still want their TV star hunters to camo up regardless of the  culture there.
I rarely wear any camo during deer season other than my hunting jacket.  For turkeys, I'll still camo up.  Toxey Haas and Bill Jordan are depending on me. :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

BowBendr

Never had any respect for that Ray Eye guy anyway. Anyone who believes calling is everything when it comes to turkey hunting is a fool. ;)

"....that Ray Eye guy...."
Well, I can see that you've never read much, or talked with the man or you would understand what that phrase means ;)

Gods of Thunder

dublelung

Quote from: BowBendr on May 06, 2017, 07:32:02 PM

"....that Ray Eye guy...."
Well, I can see that you've never read much, or talked with the man or you would understand what that phrase means ;)

Gods of Thunder

I think you missed his sarcasm.

eggshell

Winner Winner Chicken dinner to Longshanks......I agree. When I started 45 years ago I didn't even own camo, but no one else even hunted those stupid birds then. Try the blue jeans now if you want, I think you'll be stopping for hamburger instead of turkey dinner.

Farmboy27

I have killed a ton of fall birds wearing orange. For a lot of years 250 square inches of blaze orange was mandatory in the fall in PA.  Stay still and you are fine. And the birds here are hunted hard.

grayfox

When I was young nobody wore camo for deer hunting unless it was army surplus in woodland. I didn't turkey hunt back then so I'm not sure what they were wearing for that. I'm sure you might get by with no camo turkey hunting these days but I'll keep mine. It's kinda like you don't have to have a boat to fish but it sure helps.

PineyRooster

Quote from: mudhen on May 06, 2017, 05:50:31 PM
Since I stopped caring about what other grown men wear and spend their own money on, life has been more enjoyable...

yup :icon_thumright:

appalachianassassin

more than a few years ago I decided I wanted to try to kill a turkey without camo. i set out in some good ole levis and a red nautica jeans company shirt. 30 mins after flydown on the first try i had a longbeard on my back. good setup was key. i will say when he popped up he had me immediately and he got shot immediately.

Bowguy

Quote from: sixbird on May 06, 2017, 08:18:29 AM
I see these TV shows where the african hunter is all decked out in camo and the p/h has on khakis and an olive shirt. The p/h is standing right alongside the hunter. Afterwards, the hunter plugs the camo of his sponsor...HAH!
That said, I think you can get away with a little more movement and not get caught with camo on...If nothing else, it makes me FEEL more hidden...  ;)
Idk bout you but I've never been to Africa but a whole tribe of hunters gets awfully close n the animals just stare at the most at them. W no personal experience they seem dumb. 
Now for deer I've taken many deer w a bow wearing jeans and a flannel shirt. How can they even see you in a tree early season w all the leaf cover? Later season we gotta wear hunter orange n the things walk right up to you at times.
Turkeys I've kee kee'd in on 2 occasions wearing once a red wool rich jacket n once a red n black flannel.
They were obviously isolated tests as I've only tried twice but they both worked. One was summer, one fall. A buddy bet me I couldn't.
Staying still is more important. Think about people using blinds w bid blue Ameristep or some other insignia on it. The birds walk right up to it.
Tv has people really screwed up to even consider that camo is a must.