turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help me get one!!!

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 21, 2017, 09:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

On this mornings scouting trip, I found 4 toms, 2 jakes and 12-14 hens.  The woods where they roost is very thick and it would be hard to shoot more then 20-30 yards at best.  Also, sneaking in at dark would be difficult because there are tons of thorns and slashings.  The field runs east and west with the woods on the north.  The birds were 100 yards off the edge of the field and were in different groups.  Then hens were to the west of the toms about 200-300 yards.  As the sun came up the toms gobbled and there was very little hen talk.  The hens flew out into the field on the highest spot.  The toms flew down in the woods and looped through the woods and came out by the hens.  From there they fed and strutted together until I had to leave for work.  I plan on watching the field a few more mornings before my season next Wednesday. 

My question is, how would you set up on these birds?  I have a blind, DSD jake, upright hen and a tail fan on a jake decoy at my disposal.  Would you set up on the high spot where the hens flew out and wait them out? 

I struggle hunting birds in this situation so I am open to all ideas.

tha bugman

If you have a blind and have the decoys I would get out there early put a popup blind on the high spot with your jake decoy right behind a hen decoy and wait for him to fly down...more than likely he ain't gonna like it too much seeing another gobbler in the field.  I have put blinds out in the open and they don't seem to mind at all.  Good luck!

2eagles

Quote from: tha bugman on April 21, 2017, 09:23:15 AM
If you have a blind and have the decoys I would get out there early put a popup blind on the high spot with your jake decoy right behind a hen decoy and wait for him to fly down...more than likely he ain't gonna like it too much seeing another gobbler in the field.  I have put blinds out in the open and they don't seem to mind at all.  Good luck!

Good advice.

Lucky_Strutter

Yup, turkeys will usually walk right passed a newly placed blind without so much as giving it a second glance but if the hunting pressure is high around your area the decks might spook him, I've had them fly down in a field see the decks and go the other way plenty of times.
The Great White Spur Hunter

g8rvet

I would try to get like this:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

wisconsinteacher

These birds have not seen a hunter since seeing me last fall when I was deer hunting the property. 

g8rvet

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on April 21, 2017, 02:08:08 PM
These birds have not seen a hunter since seeing me last fall when I was deer hunting the property.

My Favorite kind!   Good luck.  I like your odds.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

stinkpickle

Agreed.

Greg Massey

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 21, 2017, 06:45:43 PM

Agreed.
X3

bbcoach

Just remember, "Roosted ain't Roasted" those walnut sized brains Kick our Butts everyday.  I'll be in Wisconsin, with a buddy, on the 3rd of May for the 3rd week of the season.  Good Luck!

wisconsinteacher

Went scouting one last time before the season opener tomorrow.  Today there was only one tom and he flew out to the field and walked down to the low spot and gobbled for a few minutes.  The big flock that was there a few days ago was no where to be found. 

Crazy birds!!!!

The temps are dropping 30-35 degrees today and rain is coming.  Going to be a miserable morning but I will be out there enjoying the opportunity to hunt.

culpeper

Have you watched them enough to get a sense of where they are going 30 mins to an hr after fly down?  Staying tight on the roost is by no means a dead gobbler.  Sounds like, but of course I really don't know your spot, that it could be better of you had an idea of travel and get yourself set up.  Might have to put in some wait time, but as you know, they rarely will go where they don't want to....good luck

wisconsinteacher

They come off the limb and go to a corner of the field and hang out to strut and feed.  I will be in that area tomorrow morning.

mikejd

Honestly right now you have the ball in your court. The rain is the best thing that can happen to you. The only guarantee is that those birds will be in that field after the rain. Get in a spot they like.

Bowguy

This seems obvious. They aren't pitching down into thorns. Locate the area they went up to the roost from by long range watching the night before n set up there tomo. No guarantees but a good start