turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help me get one!!!

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 21, 2017, 09:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Woke up to rain this morning so I planned on taking the blind to stay dry.  I put out a single upright hen in the field and took a nap.  At day break a tom gobbled to my left and gobbled for a few minutes.  At fly down, a jake and hen flew down to my left and circled around me.  The first tom the gobbled never made another sound but 2 other toms started gobbling to the right!!!   At that point, hens started to fly out to the field and the 2 toms joined them.  They circled around me and the 4 jakes with the flock came into the decoy while the rest of the flock walked to the picked corn field to feed.  When I had to leave for work, I believe I busted the jakes in the corn field 250 yards away. 

davisd9

I would set up where Toms are coming out of woods, if consistently the same area.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wisconsinteacher

I was out there early again today.  Today it was only one tom and a few hens.  He was in the same spot as yesterday and I know where he is sleeping now so I have a plan for the night.  At fly down, he comes out with 2 hens and a jake 100 yards away.  Next a hen lands in my decoys and 2 more sail over the blind.  Eventually, all the birds are 400 yards south of me in the middle of a huge field.  There is not a tree around for 300 yards from them. 

I watched them for 10-15 minutes when I noticed a guy coming from the neighbors with a tail fan.  He walks towards the flock and they start to move away from him.  He keeps coming and they keep moving towards the creek bottom.  Eventually 2 hens fly away and the flock goes over the hill.  The guy then kneels down on top of the hill and sits there.  He is 500 yards away so I decide to break my set up down and sneak out because he cleared the field.  As I'm putting the blind away, I look up to see a black blob moving towards the guy...Bang, flop.  There goes my tom.  All I can do at this point is shake my head and laugh because I don't know what else to do. 

There have been 2 other toms in the area but I did not hear or see them on Tuesday or today (Thursday).  Do I go back one more time to see if another tom is around of abandon ship and go looking for a new spot???

If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all!!!!

SteelerFan

wisconsinteacher

Yep, and the bird was on the land I can hunt while he was standing on land he can hunt.  Oh well, move on and try some other place tomorrow I guess.