turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 youth just not getting the expected numbers. Updated

Started by shedhunta, April 12, 2017, 08:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shedhunta

Shot again yesterday.  Calm and 80.  21" 870 youth with deep cleaned barrel and boresnake in between shots.  Sumtoy choke and Federal Heavyweights 7's with a 5V lot #

Got my POI straightened out right away and was getting around 110 in a 10" circle at 40yds.  I now have basically wasted 15 shells and my best ever was 140.  Dead bird all day but I built this gun for better numbers. 

Do I have a bad run of shells?   William from Sumtoy did say he has been hearing low numbers with 5V lot.  My shells rattle.  Loose shot.  Is that normal??

Steelerfan had identical setup the day before and got 178 with a different lot #.  With the time and money I have spent I see TSS in my future.  Just frustrated because my old gun was about the same and I was excited for some better patterns.  Don't wanna have to worry if I picked the right box of shells off the shelf.

Thx for any input
Shedhunta

Any ideas or thoughts???

SumToy

that is the sad thing about the shells.  this came up a few years ago with the V and U lots.  Now I would like to know if it is different machines that load them or different plants.  Just funny that few the low ones from then and now are V and U. 

Now no need to keep shooting the gun.  Few bird shot and then maybe 2 big loads should give you the poa/poi.   Now we can try a different choke to see. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

sswv

I am not knocking anyones chokes but my 21" youth 870 did not like the sumtoy choke. barely 110 in the 10"er at 40yds. I shot it thru a bright pretty clean barrel and then thru a shot barrel and never better. I put in a trulock heavyweight #7 choke and went right to averaging 175-180 in the 10 at 40 with the federal heavy 7's. my 21" 12ga likes any choke/shell combo you put in it. I guess some shotguns are more sensitive that others (sorta like women). LOL

SumToy

true

now had a guy call me today about the lots of shells.  From what he found it will make one look good and bad.  So check the gun and shell with different lot of shells before you buy more chokes or mess with the gun. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

shedhunta

Quote from: SumToy on April 12, 2017, 12:34:05 PM
true

now had a guy call me today about the lots of shells.  From what he found it will make one look good and bad.  So check the gun and shell with different lot of shells before you buy more chokes or mess with the gun.

If thats the case Federal can keep their shells and just lost a customer. 

SumToy

yup I hate to see it because they good when they good.   I seen a 1187 that was only 120 range and change box of shells it jump to 180s. 

obro

I ran into the same thing a few years ago with the 12 gauge 3.5 7s . I really like them but moved onto something else .

Ridge Rooster

My Sumtoy produced a 188 in 10" 100 in 20" from a 21" Barrel youth model 11-87. One of the best patterns I have seen with the Federal 7's. Unsure what lot number though??

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

sswv

maybe a LOT of calls and e-mails to federal might help them get with the program on these 20ga #7's. like sumtoy said "they good when they good".

possum#1

I have been having the same problem. I was shooting the V code and shot 110 at 40 yards. I had 2 boxes of the U code and tried one. It shot in the low 140's at 40 yards. There is sure a difference in the codes.

Greg Massey

Quote from: sswv on April 12, 2017, 10:19:45 AM
I am not knocking anyones chokes but my 21" youth 870 did not like the sumtoy choke. barely 110 in the 10"er at 40yds. I shot it thru a bright pretty clean barrel and then thru a shot barrel and never better. I put in a trulock heavyweight #7 choke and went right to averaging 175-180 in the 10 at 40 with the federal heavy 7's. my 21" 12ga likes any choke/shell combo you put in it. I guess some shotguns are more sensitive that others (sorta like women). LOL
Agree, my gun was the same with the Trulock choke...great numbers

shedhunta

Well curiosity got me.  I called Federal and they said my numbers are great.  Of course they never heard of bad lot numbers etc.  So I cut one open.  1.5oz of shot and 330 pellets.  Exactly what they said it should be.  So now William is going to let me try another choke and I will try and find another lot #.  Dont want to order and get 5V again.  Just wanna get through this season.  Unless a miracle happens I surely will have TSS in my shell loops next season. 

Thanks to William for all his help. 

nyhunter

I have 6 boxes of these dreaded 5v lot# shells i plan on shooting them threw a few different chokes tomorrow so I will let ya'll know results.

Bowguy

I'm not on the youth bandwagon. I haven't extensively tested them to be frank but in the few I've tried (maybe 5) they don't shoot numbers like full size guns in the same caliber. I'm thinking it may be the short barrels. The other disadvantage is not mounting the gun properly if it doesn't fit us. That only pertains to actual shooting n not the numbers but why shoot something that doesn't fit? Like I said my knowledge is limited but longer barrels in the guns I've shot seemed better.

shedhunta

Quote from: nyhunter on April 13, 2017, 08:45:52 PM
I have 6 boxes of these dreaded 5v lot# shells i plan on shooting them threw a few different chokes tomorrow so I will let ya'll know results.

Please share.  Looking forward to your results