turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20ga choke tubes??

Started by chadly, April 04, 2017, 05:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

I started my son turkey hunting at the age of 6 shooting a 20ga with an x-full choke.  Surprisingly it throws a huge pattern with that choke.  We've been forced to keep our shooting to max of 25 yards.  I've been hesitant to buy a turkey choke because I did not want too tight of a pattern for a young child.  However he is now 10 and I would like to have a bit more range. 
I shot his gun today using Triple Beard Hevi-Shot 3" 5,6,7 1 ΒΌ oz.  Here are the results.
20 yards: 32 pellets in kill zone with a spray of about 24 inches and most pellets inside of 15 inches.
30 yards: 10 pellets in kill zone with a spray outside the limits of my box to measure.
40 yards: 2 pellets in kill zone.  The pattern so big it could have had three heads in there to miss. 
To my question.  I think I want to tighten this up a little bit but not a bunch.  I would really like a 35 yard capable pattern.  I see bass pro has in stock a turkey tube .660.  Would this be a good choke to try?  I don't want too tight and would rather stick with the combo we have before going to a really restricted tube. Should I just leave it alone and wait for a close shot?
Thanks
Chad

Tail Feathers

Try a Carlsons.  Good chokes at a very good price on Ebay.  Tight, but not too tight.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

chadly

Thanks.  I shoot a Carlson in one of my guns as well.  I do see Scheels has a Carlson .660.  Are all .660 created equal?  Bass Pro is a lot closer to me both being at least an hour one way.

Bowguy

You oughta find other loads n try that first

chadly

I've tried Remington Nitro turkey and Winchester double xx.  Both in 5's.  They hold very similar patterns.  Thanks.   

Frylock

Just to clarify, are you going to move him up to a 12ga or still using a 20ga?  I ask because a .660 constriction is for a 12ga.   

SteelerFan

Check the 20 gauge guns / 20 gauge pattern threads below. A LOT of examples of success with the Federal Heavyweight #7's. Lots of choke / shell combos to read through....

chatterbox

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 04, 2017, 06:25:00 PM
Check the 20 gauge guns / 20 gauge pattern threads below. A LOT of examples of success with the Federal Heavyweight #7's. Lots of choke / shell combos to read through....
This^^^^^^^^^
I have good luck with the SSX and federal Heviweight 3-1.5-7's out of my 20 ga. Mossberg, but as Steelerfan has stated, there is a wealth of info on the 20 ga thread.

sswv

my 21" 20ga likes the Trulok choke and heavyweight #7's.  keeps a pretty even pattern at 40yds.

snapper1982

.660 will not even fit in your gun

chadly

Quote from: Frylock on April 04, 2017, 06:22:11 PM
Just to clarify, are you going to move him up to a 12ga or still using a 20ga?  I ask because a .660 constriction is for a 12ga.
My mistake.  .575 is for the 20ga.  I misread.  I will head over to the 20 ga thread.  Thanks again.

owlhoot

Could try a tightwad choke

terp

I would use HW7 with a factory full.   I got 105 at 35 yards.   

Tom Foolery

I would look at the Fed #7's.

The 2 best chokes from my youth 870, The Primos Tightwad and the Colonial .570

Spitten and drummen

Indian creek 570 and hvy 7s or sumtoy 562-5 with hvy 7s. Pure devestation on turkeys.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE