turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester LB's...is this normal??

Started by sswv, April 01, 2017, 07:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

I noticed the dull black burnt look on one side of these shells today. I shot about 6 rounds and every one turned out like this. They are 12ga Winchester Longbeard 3" #6 shot. I've had the same 870 for almost 30 years and this is the first time I've ever noticed spent rounds looking like this.  The one on the left has the same burnt spot as the one on the right. I just turned it to show the difference.

Tom Foolery

sswv

the shells pattern fine at 40 yards but I was curious about the burnt side.

MickT

I'm guessing it's because they are roll crimped instead of folded in. The roll crimp isn't as long and lets some gases leak into the chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sswv

what gun you shooting them out of Tom?

Tom Foolery

trkehunr93

The old white hevis I used to shoot didn't do this and they were roll crimped.  Any handloaders see similar with TSS loads?  I'm curious, love the patterns they put out but a singed hull would raise an eyebrow. 

MickT

They do it in my 870

WV TURKEY THUG

Jmbradt3873

Every one I have shot out of my Mossberg 500 looks like that, I just don't reload em

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

TN Beard Buster

I've noticed that on mine as well!! As was mentioned above, could be the rolled crimp, or it could be the resin inside burning off.

joey46

Quote from: trkehunr93 on April 01, 2017, 08:12:39 PM
The old white hevis I used to shoot didn't do this and they were roll crimped.  Any handloaders see similar with TSS loads?  I'm curious, love the patterns they put out but a singed hull would raise an eyebrow. 

Still have a diminishing supply of the old white Hevi 13.  I looked through my memento box of spent shells and they don't appear to show this either. 

davisd9

I have not. I have several spent hulls with roll crimps and none have a burnt look. Will add a photo when I can figure out why Tapatalk is acting stupid.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gobble!

Quote from: davisd9 on April 02, 2017, 08:48:12 AM

I have not. I have several spent hulls with roll crimps and none have a burnt look. Will add a photo when I can figure out why Tapatalk is acting stupid.

X2

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase