turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why I limit my shots to 40 yards

Started by allaboutshooting, April 01, 2017, 11:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

I use corrugated cardboard as a backer for my "big paper" targets when patterning shot loads. No matter what size shot, or combination of shot size load, or choke tube, there are always shot that do not penetrate one layer of the cardboard at 40 yards. Normally the center core pattern penetrates completely and the outer core does not. At the end of any day, there will be hundreds of pellets trapped in the corrugations.

As the distance increases, the patterns spread out, regardless of choke or shot and the central core becomes much larger. Beyond 40 yards a turkey is much more likely to have some pellets that hit him but are not lethal...immediately. Many of us who have hunted for a few decades have shot at least one turkey that had evidence of being hit but not killed. I've seen gangrene in legs and thighs of turkeys that I've killed that were carrying shot for enough time to cause this condition.

I try to remember that turkey hunting is a sport and not something that I must do to survive. I set limits upon myself for how far I will take a shot and I've spent a lot of time learning to judge distance. I'd rather pass up a shot than take one, if I'm not sure that it's within the 40 yard limit that I've placed upon myself.

I don't spend any time attempting to figure out how to shoot at longer ranges. In fact, I spend most of my time, whenever possible, trying to lure a turkey closer to me before shooting.

I have 2 grandsons and I hope that the wild turkey is going to be available to them as a huntable species for their lifetimes. I want to pass along to them the ethics of hunting as much as the skills of hunting and shooting. I want them to remember what was important to me in all areas of my life and hunting is but one of them.

I don't and wont' try to impose my personal standards on others but this is why I limit my shots to 40 yards or less.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chatterbox

TauntoHawk

Very well said Clark

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

buzzardroost

Excellent post. If only the ammo companies wouldn't advertise this 70 yard nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kyturkeyhunter4

Great post Clark, Aperricate all the information

turkeyfeathers

Quote from: buzzardroost on April 01, 2017, 11:46:42 AM
Excellent post. If only the ammo companies wouldn't advertise this 70 yard nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually sent a big long nastygram to Winchester about that in their ads on XR's. Did I pattern them at 65 yards just to see, yes I did. Would they smash a bird , yes they would. Will I ever shoot a bird that far? Never.

beagler

Never Misses

Prohunter3509

RutnNStrutn

I totally agree. :agreed:
90% of my gobblers have been at 40 yards or less, and 80% have been at 20 yards or less. Not only are those ranges more ethical, but the closer the gobbler, the more exciting the hunt is.

Spitten and drummen

To me turkey hunting is a game of yards. I remember how I was taught. Getting them in close is and has always been my goal. I do not have to pull the trigger to have a great hunt. A man told me a long time ago that if you kill him you wont hear him gobble again. The gobbling , spitting and drumming is the reason I get up and keep chasing them.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Strutr

Amen, Clark. 

I think that many guys' perspectives change once they've killed a few birds and realize how much more exciting and satisfying it is to call the bird in close.

chatterbox

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 01, 2017, 03:35:41 PM
To me turkey hunting is a game of yards. I remember how I was taught. Getting them in close is and has always been my goal. I do not have to pull the trigger to have a great hunt. A man told me a long time ago that if you kill him you wont hear him gobble again. The gobbling , spitting and drumming is the reason I get up and keep chasing them.
This^^^^^^^^
Says it all right there!

Bowguy

High plains drifter

That's a good post, and long range shooting is stupid, and unethical. I've found, that the highly skilled Hunter, calls them into 15 yards. You should not miss, at 15 yards.The biggest turkey I've ever seen, presented a shot to me at 75 yards, and I didn't take it, and I'm glad I didn't. It was neat seeing a 35 lb. bird.I wonder if he's still out there?