OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why I limit my shots to 40 yards

Started by allaboutshooting, April 01, 2017, 11:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Ya hit the nail on the head, Clark! Great post!

tha bugman

Totally agree I killed a bird one time that had #4's and #6's in him and I killed him with 5's lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

Excellent post Clark -- I always pay attention to your post on shooting they are very informative and helpful!!! Thanks !!!

trkehunr93

Agreed Clark!  Thanks for keeping us all grounded as always.

old3toe

Good post. I often think back to all the birds I've called in and watched put on a show gobbling and strutting their heads off only for me to sit and watch them lose interest finally and move on. Some of them were the most intense hunts Ive had but also for some reason I didn't feel 100% good about taking the shot. Whether they were a "little" over 40 yards or 30-35 in thick tangled greenery and brush it didn't matter to me at all. I realize honestly I probably would have killed darn near all of them considering the ranges they were at and the gun and ammo i had, however if there's ever a miniscule amount of doubt or even a slight possibility of wounding one then I'm not squeezing the trigger. I'm the kinda guy that'll lose sleep many nights over a "hit and run" scenario for what ever reason, especially if I knew deep down I shouldn't have shot and did any way. I've also been carrying a rangefinder with me for a long time and it really helps. Now it's not always possible to put it into action on every situation or setup but most of the time it is. Simply range four or five trees surrounding you in a semi circle in front of you and you'll know when that gobbler is in range.

The second bird I killed last year on public land was a nice bird by my standards. Sporting 1 1/8" spurs, he also had plenty of 4 shot and 6 shot in his breast. I killed him with heavy weight 7's. It amazes me what they can take and still survive.

Rzrbac

40 yards is my personal limit too!  I prefer closer but if I have to, I consider 40 an acceptable distance. Yes years ago I played around to see how far my gun would hold a pattern. I really don't remember how far but I believe it was over 50 yards.  That's good to know should I make an error in judgement. I'm a bowhunter and take pride in being to judge yardage accurate even though I have a rangefinder. I agree, it's all about getting critters close!  That's why I hunt to get up close to deer and turkey.

I had a guy in a gun shop who tried to tell me he killed a gobbler at 89 steps last year.  I just excuse myself as he had several tall tales. Not sure if it's popular all around the country but around here we have "turkey shoots". Shooting at paper from long distances.  Seems like that's the venue to show off your shotgun and shooting skills, not the woods.

MK M GOBL

Great post!

"Close" is the name of my game, can't even think of a bird I/We have killed over 20yards in the last 20 years...
We hunt/kill birds in the 15 yard range with the shotgun and 10 yard and under range with the bow!

MK M GOBL

allaboutshooting

I appreciate all of the positive comments.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

kdsberman

Well said Clark.

Like you and many others on here, my setup will take a bird down beyond 40.  But why?  Where's the "hunting" aspect in that?  Where's the fun?  I always tell people if a bird is 40.1 yards away I'll pass.  I try to get them as close as possible.  That is the thrill of turkey hunting.

HawkeyeGobbler

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 01, 2017, 11:11:07 PM
I consider 40 an acceptable distance. Yes years ago I played around to see how far my gun would hold a pattern. I really don't remember how far but I believe it was over 50 yards.  That's good to know should I make an error in judgement.

x2. Not that I would INTEND on shooting that far, but it is nice to know that within a small margin of error, being off by 5-10 yards (not hard to do in some of the terrain and brush around here) is not going to be the end of the world. I don't think about shooting til 40 and even though I've patterned out to 50ish, I have yet to shoot one over 30-35 yards.