OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey hunting with dog

Started by High plains drifter, March 30, 2017, 06:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

What I do, if I take my dog out in the field, is I keep my dog on a leash pretty much most of the time. I don't let my dog chase any birds, or run around. I just want my dog to experience the same things that I like that I like went out turkey hunting. If you do wound a bird comma having a dog is the only way you will recover that bird. That being said, taking a dog is not the way to go for turkey hunting comma if you want to shoot the big gobblers. Also, ticks can get on your dog comma and that can be a major hassle in summation I think it's fun to do once in awhile,

Player

A long long time ago I knew some people who had dogs that would tree turkeys. The turkey would become fixated on the dog barking at the bottom of the tree and they would just walk up and shoot them out. Didn't even wear camo.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 30, 2017, 09:09:59 PM
When did post on this forum become so controversial and why so negative on questions people ask ? I have be just as guilty as some on giving opinions on it's not legal or your just wrong in the way you hunt. It's interesting what some people ask... so let's give everyone a change in ask questions and stop being so negative. Good post, i have watch some shows with people using dogs...
I WANs t approaching it with a negative attitude. When it comes to using dogs, I'll be one of the largest advocates. I personally wouldn't care if they let people use dogs during the firearms deer season. It would certainly change things in a hurry and get people in a huge uproar but it wouldn't bother me none at all. Having said that, dogs trained to hunt turkeys will catch them on the ground if given the chance. Been there, send that. Doesn't matter if the bird is crippled or healthy, if the chance exists, they'll do it. If your state allows it (WV doesn't and we're pretty liberal about most things so I'm betting most other states don't either) then by all means, do as you wish.

I believe where a lot of things are being misconstrued as negative is the ability to deduct inflection from the written word. We read things that don't go the direction we want and then infer that the poster must be up in arms about a topic. Personally, I don't care how someone wants to hunt nor will I concern myself with it. I don't go about things in ways that many are comfortable with. I'm fine with that also. :TooFunny:

trkehunr93

The purpose of hunting with a dog in the spring is for retrieval purposes only.  The AWTHDA has pushed to get this legalized in several states, we can spend a lot of time making sure we know our gun, load and choke combo but misjudgments in distance can happen and nothing retrieves a wounded bird better than a dog.  It makes sense to me and if you have the time to spend training a dog to retrieve your bird for you then do it if it's legal in your state.  In VA it is not legal in the spring. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockymtngobblers

You can hunt with a dog in the fall her in Colorado  but I don't think you can do that in the spring  hear if I remember  right. I've  done it twice in the fall and I  prefer not to hunt with dogs or at least my dog.
Female hunter hunting the wild turkey for over 20 years.
Earn your gobbler, no Roost shooting.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 31, 2017, 12:10:29 AM
What I do, if I take my dog out in the field, is I keep my dog on a leash pretty much most of the time. I don't let my dog chase any birds, or run around. I just want my dog to experience the same things that I like that I like went out turkey hunting. If you do wound a bird comma having a dog is the only way you will recover that bird. That being said, taking a dog is not the way to go for turkey hunting comma if you want to shoot the big gobblers. Also, ticks can get on your dog comma and that can be a major hassle in summation I think it's fun to do once in awhile,
in a case like that, I'd say you're fine but make sure it's legal to have a dog in the woods with you while chasing spring birds. Just don't want you to get nabbed by the game officers for being out of compliance.

High plains drifter

Quote from: trkehunr93 on April 01, 2017, 10:38:38 AM
The purpose of hunting with a dog in the spring is for retrieval purposes only.  The AWTHDA has pushed to get this legalized in several states, we can spend a lot of time making sure we know our gun, load and choke combo but misjudgments in distance can happen and nothing retrieves a wounded bird better than a dog.  It makes sense to me and if you have the time to spend training a dog to retrieve your bird for you then do it if it's legal in your state.  In VA it is not legal in the spring. 

Any bird dog, will retrieve a turkey. There is no need to train them, they will just do it.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 02, 2017, 11:18:48 AM

Any bird dog, will retrieve a turkey. There is no need to train them, they will just do it.
I've seen plenty that wouldn't. Just saying. I've also seen hounds that won't tree and beagles with zero interest in rabbits. Not all "hunting dogs" are created equal. No matter what the previous owner says or guarantees of the pup/parents. I'm just glad you've got a good one. Good luck this spring and keep us posted on how it goes.

deerbasshunter3

Is hunting turkey with a dog a new-ish practice, or has this been going on for a while now?

tha bugman

Its on my bucket list to go and hunt with the spaniels that they train specifically to fall hunt with.  Amazing.

High plains drifter

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on April 03, 2017, 10:24:38 AM
Is hunting turkey with a dog a new-ish practice, or has this been going on for a while now?
.    I'm sure people have been doing it for 100 years. It's illegal in some states, but in the west, people do it.In the south, they have real thick cover, so having a fog, would not work.

Bowguy

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 30, 2017, 06:53:39 PM
I've gotten a few birds, with my dog with me. I'm going to take my dog out this spring.Anybody out there take their dog along?I know it's not the norm, but you can do it.
Very dependent upon state. Rules vary n some states in spring you must call. No scatter, stalk, driving

High plains drifter

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 02, 2017, 01:26:07 PM
Quote from: High plains drifter on April 02, 2017, 11:18:48 AM

I've seen plenty that wouldn't. Just saying. I've also seen hounds that won't tree and beagles with zero interest in rabbits. Not all "hunting dogs" are created equal. No matter what the previous owner says or guarantees of the pup/parents. I'm just glad you've got a good one. Good luck this spring and keep us posted on how it goes.
thanks- I will post a photo, if I can.