turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey hunting with dog

Started by High plains drifter, March 30, 2017, 06:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

I've gotten a few birds, with my dog with me. I'm going to take my dog out this spring.Anybody out there take their dog along?I know it's not the norm, but you can do it.

wvmntnhick

Never hunted them with a dog in the spring. I've hunted them a couple times in the fall with a dog. It's a blast, but then I always enjoy the company of a good working dog regardless the outcome. They're not legal in the spring season here but may be in other states. Not certain I'd actually want them busting birds up in the spring anyway. It's hard enough to call a bird that's got hens with him. Bust them up and he may not return to that spot for a few days when the hens settle and come back. I could be wrong on that. Also, I'm uncertain of the stress possibly caused to nesting hens. If a hen chooses not to leave the nest and prot ct her eggs, the dog could kill her. I'm not saying it will or has happened but it's not a chance I'd want to take in this case.

High plains drifter

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 30, 2017, 07:12:08 PM
Never hunted them with a dog in the spring. I've hunted them a couple times in the fall with a dog. It's a blast, but then I always enjoy the company of a good working dog regardless the outcome. They're not legal in the spring season here but may be in other states. Not certain I'd actually want them busting birds up in the spring anyway. It's hard enough to call a bird that's got hens with him. Bust them up and he may not return to that spot for a few days when the hens settle and come back. I could be wrong on that. Also, I'm uncertain of the stress possibly caused to nesting hens. If a hen chooses not to leave the nest and prot ct her eggs, the dog could kill her. I'm not saying it will or has happened but it's not a chance I'd want to take in this case.
.  I wouldn't allow my dog to attack a bird. I would not take my dog, if I knew there were other hunters around, no way.I just want my dog to expirience turkey hunting, and it isn't illegal in the high plains.Odds of getting a bird, go way down, I imagine, with dog.I did use my dog, to find a bird that I would not have gotten, without my dog. I really hate to leave my dog in the truck, or worse yet, at home.

High plains drifter

Quote from: Treerooster on March 30, 2017, 08:08:25 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 30, 2017, 07:12:08 PM
Also, I'm uncertain of the stress possibly caused to nesting hens. If a hen chooses not to leave the nest and prot ct her eggs, the dog could kill her. I'm not saying it will or has happened but it's not a chance I'd want to take in this case.

This.

Also how would you like to be set up on a gobbler and some dog comes running through busting up the flock. Not a good scenario.

Illegal to use a dog in spring in a lot of states too. Dogs in the fall are another story and I am all for them, not in the spring tho.    I can keep my dog close, but I see your point. Busting up a flock would be a bad scene. Good point.

Greg Massey

When did post on this forum become so controversial and why so negative on questions people ask ? I have be just as guilty as some on giving opinions on it's not legal or your just wrong in the way you hunt. It's interesting what some people ask... so let's give everyone a change in ask questions and stop being so negative. Good post, i have watch some shows with people using dogs...

stinkpickle

I wouldn't do it in the spring even if it were legal.  Fall sounds fun, though. 

Ihuntoldschool

This is most likely illegal, if not it should be.   Dogs are for fall turkey not spring gobbler.

fallhnt

UT and MT  allow dogs in Spring.   I don't know of any other states out west that do. It's mainly a Fall type hunt where splitting the flock, sometimes ,is an advantage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Marc

I have a friend who takes his dog with him...  More for company than for any hunting purposes, and he is the first to admit that the dog is a liability...  His dog is a duck dog, and does lay relatively still.

He did once wound a bird with a bow, and was able to recover the bird with the dog...  Having quail hunted in turkey country, they must leave one heck of a scent trail, cause my dog goes nuts when we come across turkey scent.

As far as dogs hurting turkeys, I would be more concerned about the opposite...  My hunting lab is not accustomed to a bird that fights back so arduously. 

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

RiverRoost

I have a different stance on taking a dog with you. I have a lab that's lived all over the southeast with me after college and goes to work with me every single day and  I want to take her with me in the spring and sit in a blind. Mainly bc I love turkey hunting so much and I for some reason in my mind want to share my passion with her, just like her passion is retrieving. Her tag along not for hunting but for memories. I am expecting my first born in august and can't wait to see how she takes up with him!

High plains drifter

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 30, 2017, 09:09:59 PM
When did post on this forum become so controversial and why so negative on questions people ask ? I have be just as guilty as some on giving opinions on it's not legal or your just wrong in the way you hunt. It's interesting what some people ask... so let's give everyone a change in ask questions and stop being so negative. Good post, i have watch some shows with people using dogs...
.     Good point- I was thinking about ticks.The ticks, near water, are thick sometimes, and will imbed in dog.Thats a big reason, to stay out of the lowlands with dog. I know this cowboy, who has some birds on his land up in the hills. Not many ticks, so that will be good if I take my bird dog.

deerbasshunter3

This is the first I have ever heard of using a dog for turkey hunting. Would somebody please explain this to me?

Greg Massey

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 30, 2017, 09:57:43 PM
This is the first I have ever heard of using a dog for turkey hunting. Would somebody please explain this to me?
From what little i know, i think in the fall they use a dog to bust up the flock...them call one up and kill it .. I think ....

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 30, 2017, 10:08:41 PM
From what little i know, i think in the fall they use a dog to bust up the flock...them call one up and kill it .. I think ....

Can a turkey not be called in during the fall season?

Greg Massey

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 30, 2017, 10:21:43 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 30, 2017, 10:08:41 PM

Can a turkey not be called in during the fall season?
I guess they can..Why you ask...???