OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Needing some pointers on first Nebraska hunt

Started by Leadbelt, March 25, 2017, 10:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leadbelt

Going out to Nebraska May 6th-12th for my first time this spring with a few buddies. Still undecided as to where to go? Not looking for anyones spots, but if anyone has any general direction or area they would recommend I'd appreciate any and all help I can get. Also, besides terrain, what else can I expect to be different hunting in Nebraska compared to Missouri? Thanks for any help.

MK M GOBL

Big thing I figured out was learning to get in front of them, learn where they are going. Seemed to travel in bigger flocks once we "got in their way" we killed birds. They don't mind getting out in the open and was kind of easier to figure out roosts, Have binos with you too. Other than that to me their gobbles sound a bit funny to me compared to what I am used to with Easterns. I would explain almost as "bubbly" not the deep throaty gobbles I hear...

MK M GOBL

Duffer58

Nebraska has a tremendous amount of public access.  If you haven't done it yet - Google Nebraska open fields and waters program to locate the on-line map of ground open to public access.  You can pick up a paper version of the atlas at many gas stations and convenience stores.  MK M Gobbl gave you great advice on how the birds behave out there.  In my experience they luv Dave Smith Decoys.  Another bit of advice - hit the small towns for late morning breakfast/lunch.  On more than one occasion we've had local ranchers give us access to their ground to thin the turkeys for them.  The folks in Nebraska are great people.
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

Cottonmouth

Quote from: Duffer58 on March 25, 2017, 10:54:39 PM
Nebraska has a tremendous amount of public access.  If you haven't done it yet - Google Nebraska open fields and waters program to locate the on-line map of ground open to public access.  You can pick up a paper version of the atlas at many gas stations and convenience stores.  MK M Gobbl gave you great advice on how the birds behave out there.  In my experience they luv Dave Smith Decoys.  Another bit of advice - hit the small towns for late morning breakfast/lunch.  On more than one occasion we've had local ranchers give us access to their ground to thin the turkeys for them.  The folks in Nebraska are great people.
In my experience,  most of the farmers don't care at all about the turkeys. Deer hunting is a different story though. They are crazy about deer.
As far as tactics, like MK M GOBL said, get in front of them....especially right after fly down. They can cover a ridiculous amount of ground when they hit the ground.
If you strike one up in the afternoon,  get ready and set up because they can come running from a loooong way off.

spaightlabs

Y'all will see lots and lots of posts on the forum about how amazing KS public turkey hunting used to be.  There are a ton of posts from years back posting great results and offering helpful hints for all to see.

While I think it is awesome the amount of help that folks on here are willing to offer, I'd just encourage folks to communicate more via PM.  There are hundreds if not thousands of folks that will skim through here and read about how great a certain area is and then they and 3 buddies will be in a truck heading out to give it a whirl.  Inevitably this will lead to increased pressure, more leasing and fewer opportunities for the average joe.

While I think we all want to promote our sport and to see others have success, I assure you that no one wants what has happened in KS to happen in other states...

Just my $.02, probably worth what you said for it.

Leadbelt

turkeyfoot

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 26, 2017, 09:29:05 AM
Y'all will see lots and lots of posts on the forum about how amazing KS public turkey hunting used to be.  There are a ton of posts from years back posting great results and offering helpful hints for all to see.

While I think it is awesome the amount of help that folks on here are willing to offer, I'd just encourage folks to communicate more via PM.  There are hundreds if not thousands of folks that will skim through here and read about how great a certain area is and then they and 3 buddies will be in a truck heading out to give it a whirl.  Inevitably this will lead to increased pressure, more leasing and fewer opportunities for the average joe.

While I think we all want to promote our sport and to see others have success, I assure you that no one wants what has happened in KS to happen in other states...

After seeing first hand how Ks has fallen couldn't agree more

Dtrkyman

Don't be afraid to ask permission on private and my best success there is between about 11am and 5pm...do not call unless you are ready to set up, when you strike a bird on the mood he will be there now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozarkoutfitter8

Them boys from the leadbelt cant kill birds in Nebraska.  ::)

NorfolkHunter

I am heading to Nebraska to chase some Merriams soon. We have hunted the North East part of the state in the past. This year we are giving another area a try. We are going for Archery season and will be back in a couple of week. I will try and report back if we had any success.

A friend is currently hunting the place we had went in the past. NE Nebraska and he shot a nice tom yesterday.

turkeyfoot

Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 28, 2017, 10:48:47 PM
I'll be heading to Neb. for the first time myself May 16-19 with Gobble n Grunt outfitters I'm hoping I timed it close. Good luck to you
unless some crazy storm rolls through you'll be tagged out in day maybe day and half

husker

What? There are no Turkeys here.  Someone gave you bad intel.  :P

High plains drifter

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 26, 2017, 09:29:05 AM

thats a good point. I hope turkey hunting never gets commercialized the way pheasant hunting has.Outfitters everywhere, huge lodges, buses, it's rediculous, and very expensive.

High plains drifter

I've heard Nebrasky is good Turk hunting.If it wasn't such a cruise, I would try it.