OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red Dot?

Started by yankeehunter, March 18, 2017, 12:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeehunter

Ok Folks,

I currently have Williams open sites on my 870 turkey gun which are great but with my aging eyes I'm having a tough time with them in low light. I had to pass on a nice Tom last season due to low light conditions. So, I decided to switch out to a red dot. I currently have Aimpoints CompM2 and M4 that I have no probs with but a little heavy and bulky for my shotgun. So, I bought a Bushnell TRS-25 because of weight and size but after looking through it the dot was elongated. I went out this morning to look through some others: Vortex Sparc, Leatherwood Micro B, Aimpoint T1, etc... and they all did the samething. Of course, the Aimpoint was less but shelling out $850 isn't in the cards. So, I'm thinking that I have a stigmatism.  :angry9: My question is would a Hallo sight be any better or should I stick with the open sights and realize that I'll be limited. Man, this old age thing sucks!

Sixes

Look at a Burris FFIII, they weigh almost nothing and are very accurate and simple to use

clarkdeer

I think the ff3 is going go look the same as the others to you.  The same thing happens to me if I concentrate on the dot. The trick is to fucus on the target and not the dot. 

1iagobblergetter

kyturkeyhunter4

Bushnell trophy is a great red dot, it's also under $100 very good sight.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 18, 2017, 01:45:48 PM
Scope it...
X2. Not going to be any lighter but it'll certainly eliminate the goofy looking sot you speak of.

Bowguy

Hate to say it I very recently tried the ff3. It stinks. I spent an hour getting the battery cover on n I deal w threaded items all the time so I was being careful not to strip it. Imo the cover has no choice but to eventually strip. 
I could get the cover on fine w no battery n nothing was blocking it.
Once in the led was all red streaks on high setting. Ned setting it was like a comet(elongated) very low I couldn't see it outdoors. In auto it seemed ok so that was my plan.
I went the next morning to shoot it in auto n was first gonna shoot light hand loads. First shot the battery cover came off. Rendering the sight inoperable w no cover or battery. If I was shooting at a bird I'd have no follow up not that we ever need it but it oughta be good for more than one light shot.
After digging through the snow for a while n finding the parts I went home n printed a return form up.
I just ordered a peep for my 20 ga n am leaving the irons on my 37. The 835 I have been using is on w just a bead n the supremes.
My eyes are also aging n next year I plan to scope the 37 since the poi is off without the iron sights. Going to use light magnification.
Burris is good stuff I use a bunch of their scopes but I'm not going to play w an item so delicate. The delicacy can cost. A well mounted scope imo is a better option.
Do yourself a favor n consider the options

bbcoach

Quote from: yankeehunter on March 18, 2017, 12:22:00 PM
Ok Folks,

I currently have Williams open sites on my 870 turkey gun which are great but with my aging eyes I'm having a tough time with them in low light. I had to pass on a nice Tom last season due to low light conditions. So, I decided to switch out to a red dot. I currently have Aimpoints CompM2 and M4 that I have no probs with but a little heavy and bulky for my shotgun. So, I bought a Bushnell TRS-25 because of weight and size but after looking through it the dot was elongated. I went out this morning to look through some others: Vortex Sparc, Leatherwood Micro B, Aimpoint T1, etc... and they all did the samething. Of course, the Aimpoint was less but shelling out $850 isn't in the cards. So, I'm thinking that I have a stigmatism.  :angry9: My question is would a Hallo sight be any better or should I stick with the open sights and realize that I'll be limited. Man, this old age thing sucks!
Yankee, not sure about the TRS but my Trophy Red dot has a brightness adjustment from 1-10 on it.  If I adjust to a higher setting above 1 or 2, it is too bright and distorts the dot.  Just thought I would throw that out.

WNCTracker

Quote from: clarkdeer on March 18, 2017, 01:15:27 PM
The trick is to fucus on the target and not the dot.
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOOSESLAYER

Have both the FF3 and bushnell trophy. Never had a problem with either. Can't go wrong either way

Greg Massey

Bushnell Tr 25 for the money is one of the best red dots in that price range..I've had one mounted on a Mossberg for 4 years and have never had a problem with it...You just have to take care and maintain your equipment.. It shock me the other day on this forum that some people had 350 - 1500 dollar shotguns and wasn't even putting grease or anti - seize on choke tubes , like they were bragging about it....

TRG3

As with you, my aging eyes forced me to use a red dot and the Bushnell TRS-25 is what I settled  on for my Remington 870 12 gauge, both for whitetail deer as well as turkey. It's taken several of both and the different settings (11) allow for increased/decreased brightness as needed. It's a very reliable red dot at an expensive price. In your experience, if the dots seem to be elongated regardless of the red dot you try, it's no doubt your eyes. It can still work, however. Just take it to the range and sight it in. Mine shoots shot to the same point of aim as it does slugs at 25 yards.

stinkpickle

Same situation as me.  I put an FFIII on one gun and a SPARCII on the other.  Both work great.  The SPARCII is a little bigger, though.  The FFIII weighs almost nothing.

CrustyRusty

Look for something with an etched reticle.  I think vortex spitfire or Leupold prismatic would be viable solution. 

Read this, should help you make a decision.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/06/the-more-you-know-astigmatism/

sevetts

This may be a dumb question, but I ask it as someone who has a stigmatisym. Are you looking at these sights indoors? My truglo trubrite looks really bad to me indoors but when I take it outside it always looks like a dot should, can't answer why but it does.