OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rifle hunting states

Started by fallhnt, March 16, 2017, 06:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublelung

Whatever floats your boat but I can't imagine hunting a turkey with a rifle. Thank God Mississippi doesn't allow it.

wvmntnhick

I'm not trying to pick a fight in any fashion but, like many of the argued points (decoys and blinds) on this forum, what makes someone (or the act of) that shoots a bird at 40 yards with a shotgun any more righteous than shooting a bird at 40 yards with a rifle? I've never understood the argument there. The element of the hunt is exactly the same. What part of it makes it any easier when the bird is well within what is deemed acceptable shotgun range? Is there a required skill to shooting one at close range with a shotgun that's not required with a rifle? Maybe I'm missing something somewhere.

fldoghunter

Suprised to see a fairly open minded conversation about hunting turkeys with a rifle. It was sure different a couple years ago when Fl was outlawing rimfire rifles on public land. I sure do miss using my favorite 22 mag. Glad it's not illegal everywhere.

owlhoot

Quote from: fallhnt on March 17, 2017, 04:07:50 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 16, 2017, 10:31:32 PM
I know in Mo. people have been doing it for years illegal ....
That would be a few people poaching in fall. Im sure that isn't wide spread. Sounds like local lore mostly. Fall turkey season is over before rifle season opens in MO. This kind of sh!t happens in every state by slobs every year.

Oh they're out coyote hunting with the AR 's  now!

And spotting the strutting toms don't ya know  ::)

mtns2hunt

My preference in Turkey hunting is to use a shotgun. I like it and find it to be a challenge. I think the game dept. does an outstanding job managing deer and turkeys. Harvest figures are compiled yearly and adjustments made accordingly. So I feel however one hunts that is their choice.

Having said that: there is nothing more disconcerting than having some jerk with a rifle using binoculars to scope out my decoys on private and posted land. The only thing funny was when he noticed me in my blind looking at him with my binos. He sort of shurnk up. But I am still pissed to this day and let the entire neaborhood know it.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Marc

Shotguns, bows, and air-rifles in California...

I am actually extremely interested in the air-rifle possibility...  Just tough to pull the trigger on a quality air-rifle...  I would be looking at a .25 cal (mostly due to the reputation of better accuracy with the model I want), and head-shots are the norm with an air rifle.

I like the idea of the air-rifle as just being a fun alternative, but also opening up some possibilities on some smaller properties, as well as leaving a smaller disruptive footprint on the properties I do hunt.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

fallhnt

Quote from: Marc on March 19, 2017, 04:18:19 PM
Shotguns, bows, and air-rifles in California...

I am actually extremely interested in the air-rifle possibility...  Just tough to pull the trigger on a quality air-rifle...  I would be looking at a .25 cal (mostly due to the reputation of better accuracy with the model I want), and head-shots are the norm with an air rifle.

I like the idea of the air-rifle as just being a fun alternative, but also opening up some possibilities on some smaller properties, as well as leaving a smaller disruptive footprint on the properties I do hunt.
Plus kids would love it and small game hunts too.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

owlhoot

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 18, 2017, 02:01:03 PM
I'm not trying to pick a fight in any fashion but, like many of the argued points (decoys and blinds) on this forum, what makes someone (or the act of) that shoots a bird at 40 yards with a shotgun any more righteous than shooting a bird at 40 yards with a rifle? I've never understood the argument there. The element of the hunt is exactly the same. What part of it makes it any easier when the bird is well within what is deemed acceptable shotgun range? Is there a required skill to shooting one at close range with a shotgun that's not required with a rifle? Maybe I'm missing something somewhere.
You wouldn't think it would take any of the fun out of it since you put it that way .
But one could think that a rifle is not a 40 yard max gun?  I would think many would use it for just a bit more range than that  ;)

stinkpickle

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 16, 2017, 10:31:32 PM
I know in Mo. people have been doing it for years illegal ....

LOL!  That's certainly true.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: owlhoot on March 19, 2017, 08:06:50 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 18, 2017, 02:01:03 PM
You wouldn't think it would take any of the fun out of it since you put it that way .
But one could think that a rifle is not a 40 yard max gun?  I would think many would use it for just a bit more range than that  ;)
I've openly admitted that there have been a few that were shot beyond typical shotgun range. My buddy on this site was there and witnessed it. Was it as fun? No, but I wasn't broken up about it either. Having said that, he's called many birds for me in the past when I didn't own a shotgun and when hunting with him, I played by his rules as far as distance was concerned minus that instance. Not saying I didn't try another at one point but that was the only one I'd killed at a distance with him. Only 6 have been shot farther than 40 yards and with the advent of Hevi shot, Heavyweight and TSS, I can really only think of 2 that have been outside what some consider to be the "new" shotgun range. Calling a bird and killing it is definitely the best part of the hunt and I could've killed a couple last year easily but was waiting for a better opportunity that never materialized. In both cases, the shotgun was definitely the best option. One was obscured by too much vegetation at 35 yards. I'm certain the TSS would've eaten him up but I didn't try it thinking he was going to clear it. On the other I'd have killed to have a shotgun as the crossbow wasn't the optimal choice that morning but it was required for the location. Carried the rifle 2 days last year. Had birds well within rifle range (60-70) yards and ended up letting them pass. In the end, it's all in what you expect from the hunt. I expect to have fun. The weapon is nothing more than a tool IMHO. As someone stated earlier, it's nice to see an open minded conversation about this touchy topic.

owlhoot

Hold on there .  I said you wouldn't think!!!!!
No where did I say anything about you personally.
In fact I agree that no difference in weapons of choice  since you stated that in your post that you compared 40 yards!
Now the rest of it is with the rifles range capabilities .  And many may use it. That could be a problem for many to accept it for a legal choice in there state.

wvspitndrum

I very rarely post , but this one has my attention  !  I live in WV , and it is legal here of course , but it scares me to death just for the fact that from my personal experience everyone i have ever known that packed a rifle in the turkey woods would take a shot as far as they could see the bird  !!  The old saying "thought id give it a try " . And then theres the outlaws running around trying to pop one out the truck window ! The thought of setting on field edge with a bird right in front of me or a decoy for that matter , and somebody from next door cracking loose with a 30 -06 from 250 yards away just makes me cringe !  Ive met or known 3 people that have been shot while hunting , 2 with a rifle and one with a shotgun , the one i knew took a 12 gauge in the chest at about 25 yards and was left by the coward and died in the woods ! The other 2 that i met  are unbelievably lucky to be here ,one was set up calling , gun on knee ready for the bird he was working to come in and was shot in the knee that his gun was resting on from about 75 yards by a guy with a 30-30 that could see movement in his scope , his knee kept the bullet from his chest , the other man that i met was running a pot call and was shot in his hand (luckily from the side) from app 200 yards with a 30-06 , he has ho thumb and index finger left , but that is all , the rest of his hand is gone to his wrist  , if the shooter would have been in front of him instead of the side im sure the outcome would have been much different ! I guess the point im trying to get across is id much rather only have to worry about a shotgun where i hopefully would have the opportunity to see the other guy first so i can yell out to him , than to get blindsided by a 150gr bullet that missed the bird thats 40 yards in front of me fired from a guy 200 yards away that "thought he'd give it a try" then walks away because he missed with no clue he'd just sent a bullet right past me or right through me ! To you guys that use rifles and still do all you can to get em in shotgun range this is not directed to you in the slightest  , but with my experience in WV  you are an EXTREME minority !!!!! As a matter of fact ive never met anyone in 32 years of successful turkey hunting that i questioned as to why they had a rifle that didnt give me the "in case he's way out there " response . Once again , you guys getting em shotgun range this is not directed toward you at all , its all the other idiots i worry about ! So to be honest , i  DO NOT like rifles during spring gobbler season !

wvmntnhick

Quote from: owlhoot on March 19, 2017, 09:19:46 PM
Hold on there .  I said you wouldn't think!!!!!
No where did I say anything about you personally.
In fact I agree that no difference in weapons of choice  since you stated that in your post that you compared 40 yards!
Now the rest of it is with the rifles range capabilities .  And many may use it. That could be a problem for many to accept it for a legal choice in there state.
Oh, I wasn't taking it as a personal attack. Just stating that just having it doesn't mean that it's going to be used in that fashion for certain. I'll never say never but as it currently stands, I do plan to use the shotgun as my primary this year. Really want to shoot one with the TSS and then the 20 ga with the heavyweights. If that all comes together, I wanna try the 16 ga in either Maryland or Virginia if the work schedule allows this spring.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: wvspitndrum on March 19, 2017, 09:21:46 PM
I very rarely post , but this one has my attention  !  I live in WV , and it is legal here of course , but it scares me to death just for the fact that from my personal experience everyone i have ever known that packed a rifle in the turkey woods would take a shot as far as they could see the bird  !!  The old saying "thought id give it a try " . And then theres the outlaws running around trying to pop one out the truck window ! The thought of setting on field edge with a bird right in front of me or a decoy for that matter , and somebody from next door cracking loose with a 30 -06 from 250 yards away just makes me cringe !  Ive met or known 3 people that have been shot while hunting , 2 with a rifle and one with a shotgun , the one i knew took a 12 gauge in the chest at about 25 yards and was left by the coward and died in the woods ! The other 2 that i met  are unbelievably lucky to be here ,one was set up calling , gun on knee ready for the bird he was working to come in and was shot in the knee that his gun was resting on from about 75 yards by a guy with a 30-30 that could see movement in his scope , his knee kept the bullet from his chest , the other man that i met was running a pot call and was shot in his hand (luckily from the side) from app 200 yards with a 30-06 , he has ho thumb and index finger left , but that is all , the rest of his hand is gone to his wrist  , if the shooter would have been in front of him instead of the side im sure the outcome would have been much different ! I guess the point im trying to get across is id much rather only have to worry about a shotgun where i hopefully would have the opportunity to see the other guy first so i can yell out to him , than to get blindsided by a 150gr bullet that missed the bird thats 40 yards in front of me fired from a guy 200 yards away that "thought he'd give it a try" then walks away because he missed with no clue he'd just sent a bullet right past me or right through me ! To you guys that use rifles and still do all you can to get em in shotgun range this is not directed to you in the slightest  , but with my experience in WV  you are an EXTREME minority !!!!! As a matter of fact ive never met anyone in 32 years of successful turkey hunting that i questioned as to why they had a rifle that didnt give me the "in case he's way out there " response . Once again , you guys getting em shotgun range this is not directed toward you at all , its all the other idiots i worry about ! So to be honest , i  DO NOT like rifles during spring gobbler season !
If they did away with them, I'd honestly not care too much. I've killed birds with the shotgun and want to add to that total over the coming years. Plan to possibly load TSS in the 410 for the future as well. Just wanna try some new stuff.

owlhoot

Oh , all good stuff. Trying a rifle and shooting range is close sounds like fun. An old 25-20 or .218 bee lever gun has some appeal for me. and the range would have to be close for these eyes.