OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rifle hunting states

Started by fallhnt, March 16, 2017, 06:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Quote from: fallhnt on March 21, 2017, 06:56:00 PM
Quote from: DumpTruckTurkey on March 21, 2017, 03:33:16 PM
I live in MD but hunt VA the 1st week since it opens 10 days before my home season.

All the good ole boys have these guns with a shotgun barrel, and rifle underneath... and we know what the rifle is for.  Shooting FAR and out the TRUCK.

There is soooooooooo many birds in VA and i dont know how with all the road hunters.  Someone said it earlier... its the mindset.  Ive heard more than a few guys claim they have shot 20, 30 and even more gobblers in a spring season... and i believe them!

They also start EARLY... like they are definatley going tukeey hunting this weekend with the 65 degree weather we are having.  No doubt a LOT of gobblers have already been killed.

Sounds like WVA and VA are similar.
Sad...

There are a lot of Turkeys in Va and I consider myself lucky to hunt them with a shotgun and by obeying all the laws. In my area I see very little road hunting and do not hesitate in calling the law if there is something illegal going on. Still as in any endeavor today it pays to be alert. To prevent temptation I am on my property during youth season and I hunt almost every morning of Turkey season. Your presence will reduce temptation as word will spread you actively hunt. Most of the outlaws (from 20 or more years ago)  in my area are either dead or in jail for one cause or the other. One notorious rouge in my area was killed in an auto accident while DUI. I still see his deer stands hanging in trees where he had no permission to be. Trail cams have reduced the trespassing also and there have been prosecutions in the area after individuals have been photographed. All mine are highly camo'ed by hand painting. So not all the news is bad and there are some excellent programs teaching the new generations good ethic's. But it all starts by setting a good example.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

wvboy

I to am a WV native.. and live in VA now..  The first bird (hen) I ever killed was with a rifle in the fall when I was about 8.. then killed a gobbler with one when I was about 13 I think in the fall.  But once my dad starting taking me with him in the spring and I got a taste for calling them into shotgun range I never picked up another rifle .. fall or spring.. so at the risk of being a hypocrite .. I don't like it either, even though the first two birds I ever killed were with one.. it's very dangerous .. and I don't like the long range shooters from the truck and the roost shooting that goes on.. WV and VA would have a lot more birds if they were done away with.. I also think that more birds are crippled with rifles than a shotgun for sure.. I don't know how many people I have talked to that tell me they shot one and he got away and 90% of the time it was with a rifle..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

WyoHunter

I wish they weren't allowed here in WY in the spring.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

TauntoHawk

I think it's one of those in theory and un abused it's a perfectly fine practice but it unfortunately lends itself to abuse and poor practices.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>