OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to film a turkey hunt

Started by Life of Riley, March 10, 2017, 06:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

I was wondering if anyone had good advice on how to self film a turkey hunt. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just for myself as a memory and to watch when the season is over. Was thinking of getting a go pro.

Fullfan

only advice I have to offer is about the go pro. Bought one about 10 years ago. Called up a gobbler to my youngest daughter. Had the go pro running just knew we were going to have some great video to watch. The strutting gobbler which was at 27 yards, looked like a lill black spot at 250 yd.  The go pro would be good for a second view facing the hunter, but I would not recommend it as a primary camera.
Don't gobble at me...

fallhnt

Tactacam would be the best choice for a small camera mounted on your bow or gun.A small camcorder with a tripod would be another option. They are cheep and work well.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

longbeard11

Go pro, tactacam, all those type small cameras are great cameras but are the best as pic cameras. Get u a small hd camera like a Sony handycam and a tripod covered in a drape and carry it with u. I've filmed a few turkey hunts lol ;)

MK M GOBL

You can get good footage from the Tactacam, we have been using for a few years. New 4.0's are pretty sweet!

MK M GOBL

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Life of Riley on March 10, 2017, 06:54:51 PM
I was wondering if anyone had good advice on how to self film a turkey hunt. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just for myself as a memory and to watch when the season is over. Was thinking of getting a go pro.

Start looking on eBay get u a small HD camera Sony handycam or I would recommend a Canon.  The reason being most canons even ur lower end ones give u the ability to add a shot gun or external mic if u chose as most have a jack for it.  I've owned both Sony and now canon and really like my canon.  Would also suggest making sure it records to SD cards and not miniDV tapes (much easier to down load/watch etc) You can be into a decent one for not a lot of money.  God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

perrytrails

I bought a Canon R600 for $199 on eBay , refurbished in sealed box.
I then bought a cheap tripod for $20 and a 64meg sd card.

I just picked up a rode shotgun mic for $100, I want just as good quality in sound as video.

The whole set up is small and lightweight, I'm excited to get out with it this spring.

ilbucksndux

Go Pros are great for a second angle or to mount on gun ect but they are not the best way to film a hunt. Get you a HD hand held camcorder and a tripod and your video quality with be MUCH better.
Gary Bartlow

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Life of Riley on March 10, 2017, 06:54:51 PM

Quote from: ilbucksndux on March 11, 2017, 09:46:48 AM
Go Pros are great for a second angle or to mount on gun ect but they are not the best way to film a hunt. Get you a HD hand held camcorder and a tripod and your video quality with be MUCH better.

Yes this is true, just going with the initial question, not to fancy and something like GoPro... Tactacam gives a much better view of the hunt than a GoPro... If question was "What is the best way to film a hunt?" It totally changes the question/answer.

We film with a number of cameras, here is my setup! But way beyond not too fancy... (I can go into details if this is of interest)

MK M GOBL

catman529

Camcorder on a tripod will give you the best footage. A tactacam or similar mounted to your gun would be the easiest. With the gun mount, you lose quality and have a lot of recoil in the video. With a tripod and camcorder, you get great quality, but have to control the camera and zoom as well as shoot the gobbler. I mostly just use a camcorder and carry around the tripod while I hunt. Don't use a GoPro, the wide angle lens is not good for most first person hunting video. It's OK if you use it as a second angle such as mounted on a decoy or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Turn off the auto focus no matter what you choose!

catman529

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 12, 2017, 12:17:39 PM

I wouldn't advise that for someone starting out. It's already tough enough to man the camera and the shotgun at the same time. Having to focus the camera too will make it even harder. I have manual focus on my main camcorder but only use it about 10% of the time.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 12, 2017, 12:17:39 PM

Every camera has different features, mine does have a manual focus ring and auto focus. I do on my self filmed hunts use the auto focus feature at this time, part of this feature "tracks" subject in frame by touching the flip out screen. So it keeps the bird in focus from the time he is in frame till laying dead, I can move the camera to keep him centered but everything else the camera is doing for me.

MK M GOBL

Dtrkyman

If you have nothing between you and the bird the entire time auto is fine but how often will that happen..what good is a video that is focused on a bush between you and the animal your filming?

catman529

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 13, 2017, 01:16:14 PM
If you have nothing between you and the bird the entire time auto is fine but how often will that happen..what good is a video that is focused on a bush between you and the animal your filming?

more often than not I have to deal with a lot of undergrowth. I still use autofocus most of the time. When I first started out I had trouble even getting the camera turned on when a bird showed up. The OP is just getting started, I would not recommend adding another feature that you have to manually control. It's not necessary.