OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to film a turkey hunt

Started by Life of Riley, March 10, 2017, 06:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

How would you recommend setting the tripod up?  I'm interested in getting a small camera too. Set it up just behind/to the side of you looking at the decoys?

tha bugman

I have an SD camera that I mount to the top of an Allen shooting stick...beats the heck out of a tripod!

catman529

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 13, 2017, 03:26:37 PM
How would you recommend setting the tripod up?  I'm interested in getting a small camera too. Set it up just behind/to the side of you looking at the decoys?
I dont use decoys but most of the time the tripod is tucked up against my right side (would be left side if you shoot left handed). That way the viewfinder screen is on my side of the camera so I can see what I'm filming, and can also minimize movement of my right hand between the camera and the trigger on my shotgun.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 13, 2017, 01:16:14 PM
If you have nothing between you and the bird the entire time auto is fine but how often will that happen..what good is a video that is focused on a bush between you and the animal your filming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feature of this keeps in focus on subject, now if you are talking heavy brush then no, but not likely to have footage of the bird anyway. For this I set camera for where I expect to kill (in timber) and go from there. If open timber the camera will keep on "subject" bird till he's dead. Fields/edges are non issue...

MK M GOBL

catman529

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 13, 2017, 06:55:57 PM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 13, 2017, 01:16:14 PM
If you have nothing between you and the bird the entire time auto is fine but how often will that happen..what good is a video that is focused on a bush between you and the animal your filming?

Feature of this keeps in focus on subject, now if you are talking heavy brush then no, but not likely to have footage of the bird anyway. For this I set camera for where I expect to kill (in timber) and go from there. If open timber the camera will keep on "subject" bird till he's dead. Fields/edges are non issue...

MK M GOBL
My camera also has this feature, I always forget to use it. Very useful for sure. And like you said, thick brush that would actually mess up your autofocus would mess up the video of the kill shot anyways.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 13, 2017, 03:26:37 PM

I use a Manfrotto Tripod (short version, I can get model if you need) I am able to set this at ground level, the legs will basically folded all the way up to "square" of the center column. The 3 legs are super stable this way and  leaves the panhandle right next to me at a low level. Tripod for me "righty" is set to right/center of turkey chair and so panhandle is reachable, screen is viewable. I center on dekes to start and will pan to side of approach keeping decoy in frame on opposite side of approach, sometimes your not going to be able to pan...

MK M GOBL

Captain Hooks

If you have the camera get a good tripod and fluidhead w/ a lanc thumb control.  If you right handed always set it to you right close enough to your right side  that you  don't have to move much. Typically the camera is shoulder height.  Using a decoy will help on videoing the birds. Just remember slow movement will keep you out of trouble. Pan out enough that you can get the shot even if the bird moves some.
Hope that helps
Good luck

catman529

Quote from: Captain Hooks on March 13, 2017, 10:53:41 PM
If you have the camera get a good tripod and fluidhead w/ a lanc thumb control.  If you right handed always set it to you right close enough to your right side  that you  don't have to move much. Typically the camera is shoulder height.  Using a decoy will help on videoing the birds. Just remember slow movement will keep you out of trouble. Pan out enough that you can get the shot even if the bird moves some.
Hope that helps
Good luck
LANC would be a big plus, but also a big jump in cost. Depending on your budget, you might not want to dump a whole lot into it if you don't know for sure if you're gonna enjoy it. Start basic and work your way up as you get addicted to it and get better at it.

MK M GOBL

Here's a picture of my Run & Gun set, as I was describing.

MK M GOBL

catman529

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 14, 2017, 01:19:32 AM

MK M GOBL
that looks good, my tripod will fold out flat like that too, if I need it to.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: catman529 on March 14, 2017, 07:22:11 AM

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 14, 2017, 01:19:32 AM

MK M GOBL
that looks good, my tripod will fold out flat like that too, if I need it to.

What camera do you film with?

We use Canon XA30, G30 & G20

MK M GOBL

catman529

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 14, 2017, 08:24:05 PM

What camera do you film with?

We use Canon XA30, G30 & G20

MK M GOBL

right now my main camera is a Panasonic HC-V750. I have a Senal SCS-98 stereo mic on it in the pic, but I just ordered a Rode videomic stereo pro.

SKYNET KC

MK M GOBL maybe you'll be able to answer this.

So I posted in a thread a while ago I was getting a Canon G20. I love the camera so far, but there's a few things I'm confused on.

1. Can I use the SD cards INSTEAD of the internal memory? The only way I'm seeing is the internal memory must be full first, then it'll kick over to the SD Cards. I'd much rather not do this if I can avoid it, but I've looked in the users manual online and can't figure out how to do it.

2. Can I change the recording quality or does it just default to the highest setting? I'm wanting to record in 1080p, but the review videos I've seen have people talking about all the recording options, but I can't find out how to change this either.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Also, what is the model of tripod you're using? That seems like something I want.

kcrebel

Pretty sure I have the same tripod.  Mine came from Campbell cameras as part of the turkey package that included the g30 camera.  I didn't camo my tripod because I use it in ground blinds.  When on the ground without a blind I take an old shirt or some leafy material and drape over it to conceal it if I have no cover. 
See if these links help address your recording questions?
http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41379/~/selecting-the-memory-for-the-recordings-(vixia-hf-g20)
http://campbellcameras.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-use-canon-vixia-hf-g20-and-canon.html

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: catman529 on March 12, 2017, 02:10:44 PM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 12, 2017, 12:17:39 PM
Turn off the auto focus no matter what you choose!
I wouldn't advise that for someone starting out. It's already tough enough to man the camera and the shotgun at the same time. Having to focus the camera too will make it even harder. I have manual focus on my main camcorder but only use it about 10% of the time.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
I've done some videoing with a Sony Handy Cam on a tripod. It is tough to hunt and film at the same time.  Took me 3 times to finally get the kill shot on film. Those were some hilarious, but really disappointing hunts. I just make sure there is an open area in front of me before I start filming. Then autofocus isn't an issue.
I like the external mic option on the Canons you guys mentioned. On my Sony the mic is up front near the lens, and when it is quiet you can hear the lens auto-focusing on the video.