turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal Heavyweights.........

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, March 10, 2017, 04:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

The stars must have been aligned, I just found these at the local Gander Mountain.  I can finally sleep!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 11, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
Guy's don't over look the Hevi-Shot   3 in. 1 1/4 7 shot ...these are great shells also...they are available at Midway USA with rebate...23.99 box....you can't hardly shoot the difference between these and the Federal HW if your looking for 20 gauge.....i shoot both and they match out pretty much equal...
x2 I patterned both out of my son's 20g and settled on the H-13s...

Blong

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 13, 2017, 02:29:05 PM
Guy's don't over look the Hevi-Shot   3 in. 1 1/4 7 shot ...these are great shells also...they are available at Midway USA with rebate...23.99 box....you can't hardly shoot the difference between these and the Federal HW if your looking for 20 gauge.....i shoot both and they match out pretty much equal...
They look good on paper but don't have the energy of the HW. The 13's weigh 12.5 grams/cc while the HW are 15.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Blong on March 13, 2017, 02:57:34 PM
They look good on paper but don't have the energy of the HW. The 13's weigh 12.5 grams/cc while the HW are 15.
We understand the Federal HW are better, BUt if you can't find them, i was just saying don't over these Hevi-shot as the next best thing...

stinkpickle

Quote from: Vaturkeyhntr on March 13, 2017, 02:24:17 PM
The stars must have been aligned, I just found these at the local Gander Mountain.  I can finally sleep!!!!!

Sweet!  Now, start stockpiling.   ;)

stinkpickle

Quote from: Blong on March 13, 2017, 02:57:34 PM

Both have plenty of energy for as far as they can hold a pattern.

Vaturkeyhntr

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 13, 2017, 03:28:57 PM
Quote from: Vaturkeyhntr on March 13, 2017, 02:24:17 PM

Sweet!  Now, start stockpiling.   ;)

YES!!!!!  Learned my lesson

Fullfan

The hevi shot #7 is not even in the same ballpark at the federal Heviweights, as far as kinetic energy when striking a target. 
Don't gobble at me...

Gooserbat

Best factory load available, look at Rogers Sporting Goods or DnW Outdoors.

And no Hevi #7 doesn't come close.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

campcreekfarm

Quote from: Fullfan on March 13, 2017, 03:58:02 PM

The hevi shot #7 is not even in the same ballpark at the federal Heviweights, as far as kinetic energy when striking a target.

But it has plenty to kill a turkey at an ethical range much like lead. 

wvmntnhick

I've got a little over 6 boxes. Once they're gone, I'll go to TSS in the 20. My local shop generally has plenty in stock. No one here seems to want them for reasons unbeknownst to me. Sad part, they typically order 6's instead of 7's no matter how many times I ask them to get the 7's. They'll get a few boxes but he always tells me that he sells more 6's. I've tried to tell him it's because he stocks more 6's and people are getting them when they can't find 7's.

FL-Boss

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 13, 2017, 04:28:37 PM

What kind of data or other info do you have on this?  I'm not disagreeing.. would just like to know more
I have many boxes of box Fed HW #7 and HEVI-13, #7..  I used to always shoot the FED.. however the HEVI-13
seems to pattern a little better in my Weatherby....so I have been shooting that recently. Surprised as the HEVI-13 is .25oz less shot.

Greg Massey

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 13, 2017, 06:14:56 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on March 13, 2017, 04:28:37 PM

What kind of data or other info do you have on this?  I'm not disagreeing.. would just like to know more
I have many boxes of box Fed HW #7 and HEVI-13, #7..  I used to always shoot the FED.. however the HEVI-13
seems to pattern a little better in my Weatherby....so I have been shooting that recently. Surprised as the HEVI-13 is .25oz less shot.
Agree, i have shot both and i didn't see a bad pattern out of either one at the same distance, i agree the energy is a little less...

Fullfan

When the hevi #7 came out years ago I shot it through every turkey gun I had, It would throw great patterns. When I pattern my guns at 40 yds, I have a turkey target that I tape to a card board beer flat. It is from the local bar, they buy 16oz can beer cases and that is what the beer sat in.  I then would staple the target to a wood shipping pallet. Many times when I would be shooting the Hevi #7 shot, I would find pellets that did not penetrate the cardboard. And the ones that did would not penetrate the wood, and could be pulled out just by rubbing your finger across the pellet.

The following year I made the switch to federal heviweight #7 shot. Same scenario on the patterning range. All of the heviweight pellets would be burred into the wood and could not be seen. They had to be dug out w a screwdriver. I have pics of the wood, just have no clue where they are.

I have killed several as so have my kids with the hevi #7 shot, as I'm sure hundreds of others have. I was just not impressed with the energy that the hevi #7 carried to the 40 yd target.
Don't gobble at me...

chatterbox

Federal Heviweight #7.........
Enough said.........