OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box call Chalk

Started by Greg Massey, March 10, 2017, 11:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

What do you use to carry your box call chalk ?   Do you think color of chalk makes a difference ?    I always use rain chalk with the striker conditioners.  What is your favorite chalk ?

paboxcall

Not the color that matters, its the oils that may or may not be present.

Only use Rain Chalk for my box calls anymore.  Need less of it too.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Gooserbat

I use the blue half round carpenter chalk.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jed clampett

Good question....i got grey..green...white....and red...was wondering myself!!

TauntoHawk

I have a ton of red, also have some rain chalk that I liked last year
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ozarks Hillbilly

I use white that Woodhaven sent me with a call purchase I have some brown I got from another call manufacture. As far as carrying it I use a plastic snap cap vial.

owlhoot

Spring creek calls had some good chalk

suburbhunter

I use just plain white chalk and a snap cap vial.

WCD4

I use blue carpenters chalk

silvestris

Blue carpenter's chalk, but the best chalk I ever used was a yellow chalk that came with John Grayson's Lost John scratch box.  Smith Binney discontinued that formulation many years ago.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

crow

I use the blue half rounds carpenter chalk, I think it brings a little more rasp out of the call compared to white railroad chalk

Blong

I buy the kids sidewalk chalk at five and dime. All different colors.

ncwoodsman

I use the blue half moon shaped carpenters chalk as well.

Gamblinman

Rain chalk here. I find the Rain Chalk has more "bite" than most other box call chalks, and seems to last longer. It also works better in humid conditions.

Any wax-less chalk will work. Do not use play chalk.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Izzyjoe

I give up on chalk a few years ago, and went to using pine rosin. I personally think it works better in damp conditions.