OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1 bird/day limit, shoot or not?

Started by Blong, March 05, 2017, 09:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blong

Just watched this and it looked like both birds went down, this freeze frame was a second before the shot and of course the other bird was never shown in previous footage or mentioned ever.

guesswho

No way I'm pulling the trigger, even if it's in GA where its legal to kill all 3 in one shot.   Totally against my upbringing.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

I wouldn't try it even were there was a two bird a day limit. It's not legal where I hunt but I am a stickler on getting a clear shot at only one bird. I am sure there are plenty of " incidents " that never see the light of day.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Blong

I failed to mention this was Ky, I thought more of mossy oak than to not mention the incident even if they had to lie.

Marc

Good chance of an incidental hit on the second bird depending on how far...  At 10 yards I might comfortable taking the shot, at 20 yards not so much.

I would likely wait for them to separate a bit before shooting.  I am sure it will happen, but I have not yet had two birds come in together that did not separate enough for me to feel comfortable shooting...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mtns2hunt

Certainly agree that you should only take a clear shot at one bird. In Virginia it's currently one bird per day. However, our dept. of fish and game is holding public hearings on making Spring Gobbler a two bird a day limit. I predict there will be an increase in wounded birds.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

LaLongbeard

From the pic looks like it be hard not to hit the other gobbler unless your shooting a rifle.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

catman529

Nope that's way too close. I used to do it in the fall before they changed the county limits to 1 bird. Now that can't be done in TN anymore. Looks like they goofed up and tried to cover it up to make it into the episode anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLH

When the cameras are rolling, the ethics go out the window....most of these guys (not all) are so desperate to get footage they make some dumb decisions...

You see it more with deer shows, but I've seen my share of desperation on turkey shows.

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on March 05, 2017, 09:31:40 PM
No way I'm pulling the trigger, even if it's in GA where its legal to kill all 3 in one shot.   Totally against my upbringing.

This pretty much sums it up for me, too. (As much as I hate to agree with this guy AGAIN)   ;D

Personally, I would rather see a gobbler walk than to take a shot where I thought there was any possibility of killing more than one,...even when it was legal for me to do so.  Over the years, there has been many a gobbler live to see another day because he had the good fortune to be standing too close to his buddy. 

As for the hunting videos, I'm sure all of us have watched segments where we knew they had killed other birds than the target gobbler,...some of which ran or flew off to die in the woods somewhere later.  I saw one recently where you could see another bird flopping in the background in the video,...but somehow no mention of it. 

Spitten and drummen

No way no how am I going to shoot. I will wait until they move apart or I just wont shoot. They will walk off and I will hunt them again tomorrow. Turkey hunting has gotten as bad as deer hunting. Its the kill that matters and not the hunt. Turkey hunting use to be about one on one battles with wary old toms . Now one has to get the kill to measure their success
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Bowguy

Easier to kill 2 w 1 shot than not too often. No pride in that for me

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 06, 2017, 08:43:20 AM
Quote from: guesswho on March 05, 2017, 09:31:40 PM

This pretty much sums it up for me, too. (As much as I hate to agree with this guy AGAIN)   ;D
I have a feeling this is going to be a strange year for turkey hunting! ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Strutr

IMHO, it's hard to tell from that blurry picture what you have in front of you so, for me, that is a basic "no shot" situation. I'd shoot only when I could identify a legal bird in my sights that could be killed without also hitting other birds.