OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1 bird/day limit, shoot or not?

Started by Blong, March 05, 2017, 09:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Treerooster on March 06, 2017, 10:17:39 AM
I ain't shooting. That pick is so lousy I can hardly tell there are turkeys there.  :toothy12:
Agreed. I can't really tell what's what in that photo.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Strutr on March 06, 2017, 10:59:15 AM
IMHO, it's hard to tell from that blurry picture what you have in front of you so, for me, that is a basic "no shot" situation. I'd shoot only when I could identify a legal bird in my sights that could be killed without also hitting other birds.
Same here....

Blong

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 06, 2017, 11:16:35 AM
I ain't shooting. That pick is so lousy I can hardly tell there are turkeys there.  :toothy12:
Agreed. I can't really tell what's what in that photo.
There is a halfstrut bird in back and another male turkey just to the right and closer.

VaBoy

First off , I'm in no way saying this is an OK to shoot situation, but you have to understand that the camera angle view and the shooters angle view may be very different . Real easy to jump to conclusions on this one , someone sitting five yards to one side or the other from the camera may have an entirely different perspective. Just saying ...

Gobble!

Quote from: VaBoy on March 06, 2017, 04:16:28 PM
First off , I'm in no way saying this is an OK to shoot situation, but you have to understand that the camera angle view and the shooters angle view may be very different . Real easy to jump to conclusions on this one , someone sitting five yards to one side or the other from the camera may have an entirely different perspective. Just saying ...

x2

waterman2

let them separate then hope for a shot

kyturkeyhunter4

Not shooting wouldn't won't to take a chance in wounded the other bird and not founding it.

hobbes

The picture sucks, so it's hard for me to tell what I'm looking at.  I didn't even realize there were two birds until reading and even now I feel like I'm guessing as to where he is.  If the photo was my sight picture, I wouldn't be shooting.  I do, however, recognize that the camera's sight picture and the hunter's sight picture are not always the same.  I have seen birds besides the target birds appear to get peppered pretty good on videos.  Enough so that I've watched in slow motion multiple times to see if I saw what I thought I did.

1iagobblergetter

x2

ilbucksndux

Sometimes even with a clear shot you have that fly away ! Last year I had that happen to me (lucky its legal here) . Group of jakes came in with a Tom trailing. All the Jakes cleared I pulled the trigger and he flopped and a Jake that was literally 5 feet away was flopping too. The autopsy showed one pellet that hit him directly in the brain.
Gary Bartlow

TauntoHawk

Yeah it was fired up 4, the second bird that got hit was standing behind a tree too but the pellet came off the wire at an angle.. freak accidents sure can happen all you have to do is not push the envelope.

I had to let a pile of birds walk last year opening day because there was simply too many birds too close and all moving around. They were flocked up still, when 12 toms 15+ jakes and a good 30 hens come off the roost together its madness, I did my job and was in range but there were so many birds moving around and silhouetted behind other birds there just wasn't an ethical shot that guaranteed my expanding pattern wasn't going hit more than the one bird.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

renegade19

That's wait for one of them to clear time for sure.  No brainer.

tha bugman

Tom Threetoes

I was watching a turkey hunting program on one of the outdoor channels a few weeks ago and I for sure saw a second gobbler flopping after the shot and no mention was made of the second bird.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Tom Threetoes on March 08, 2017, 12:27:00 AM
I was watching a turkey hunting program on one of the outdoor channels a few weeks ago and I for sure saw a second gobbler flopping after the shot and no mention was made of the second bird.
I don't doubt it. I have come across the same thing.