turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Primos Tight Wad.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 02, 2017, 09:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Does anybody use this choke? Opinions? Looking at the Remington version, .660 constriction.

340_Dart

My hunting partner uses a tight wad with 3" #5 Long beards and his gun puts up some decent numbers. I think for your average hunter, they are great. When you start chasing 10" pattern numbers is when things get expensive...

deerbasshunter3

I am currently shooting the Hevi shot .665 choke. I guess I am trying to tighten the pattern up a little bit.

Izzyjoe

It's a $20 choke, so you're not much if it don't pattern well. I had one in my 870 for years, and it seemed to do very good, then I started patterning and trying different chokes, and loads.  And I've spent a small fortune trying to get a good hunting pattern. And then the Lb's came out and changed everything. I'd like to try the 12ga tightwad, and different Lb sizes to see how that old choke would do.

1iagobblergetter

I bought one,but it was for my son's 20g.870. It patterns real well with H13 #7s...Like someone else said if it doesn't work you won't be out much.

taylorjones20

The original primos jelly head was probably the most popular choke for the 870.  They patterned really well in those guns.  I had excellent results with a .660 shooting Hevi 13 #7's.  336 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

I tried the longbeards when they first came out.  I got better patterns using the .665 Jelly head with those shells.

Never used the tightwad...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 03, 2017, 09:14:50 AM
The original primos jelly head was probably the most popular choke for the 870.  They patterned really well in those guns.  I had excellent results with a .660 shooting Hevi 13 #7's.  336 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

I tried the longbeards when they first came out.  I got better patterns using the .665 Jelly head with those shells.

Never used the tightwad...

Isn't the Jellyhead the one that comes with the sights in a combo pack?

taylorjones20

I don't think so, at least I don't recall them coming like that.

MK M GOBL

The Jellyhead sells by itself too, but a bit more expensive than the Tightwad. I use a Briley Turkey Choke (about 25 years ago) actually had to send your gun to Briley back then for them to get a custom tube for your turkey gun. And I know most are all about the 40 yard range, I/we have not pulled the trigger on a turkey over 20 yards in long time... We kill at the 15-17 yard range and do it consistently! Learn to hunt them longbeards up close and personal like, amazing to call birds in at that range gobbling, strutting and all is enough to get your blood boiling with excitement!!

Out of the 10 longbeards and a Jake I/We killed last season!

Learn to Hunt @14 yards
Youth Hunt @ 15 yards
#2 Youth Hunt was a Double at @ 15 yards
1st Season Bow Hunt at just inside 10 yards
1st Season 20ga Hunt @ 17 yards
1st Season Jake "new" hunter 1st bird @ 12 yards
2nd Season @ 16 yards
3rd Season @14 yards
4th Season @ 6 steps :)
5th Season @ 14 yards

MK M GOBL

taylorjones20

The top choke in this picture is the JellyHead. Great price too!

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70566.0.html

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 03, 2017, 10:17:34 AM
The Jellyhead sells by itself too, but a bit more expensive than the Tightwad. I use a Briley Turkey Choke (about 25 years ago) actually had to send your gun to Briley back then for them to get a custom tube for your turkey gun. And I know most are all about the 40 yard range, I/we have not pulled the trigger on a turkey over 20 yards in long time... We kill at the 15-17 yard range and do it consistently! Learn to hunt them longbeards up close and personal like, amazing to call birds in at that range gobbling, strutting and all is enough to get your blood boiling with excitement!!

Learn to Hunt @14 yards
Youth Hunt @ 15 yards
2nd Season @ 16 yards
3rd Season @14 yards
5th Season @ 14 yards

MK M GOBL
Are you using blinds?
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

MK M GOBL

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 03, 2017, 10:46:36 AM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 03, 2017, 10:17:34 AM

Learn to Hunt @14 yards
Youth Hunt @ 15 yards
2nd Season @ 16 yards
3rd Season @14 yards
5th Season @ 14 yards

MK M GOBL
Are you using blinds?

Since I have started turkey hunting, now 28 years ago I have used "blinds" at times whether made from stacking some branches/logs in a good spot, using natural cover or cutting some small saplings and placing/sticking them in front of me or sitting between round bales to now the Double Bull Blinds.

So at times we do use blinds, When I have youth or new hunters that have not yet gained the skill to staying still. Bow hunts are mostly in a blind and a few are not, and when videoing for some hunts depending on footage we are trying to get i.e. Blind (sponsor) have to use the blind, have it in video, at the shot and background during pre/post hunt "interview". We also hunt a lot of fields when I am "guiding" and my solo hunts are usually Run & Gun, I do solo video but the footage is way different, I basically set the camera and turn it on, can not get away with the movement as easy as in the blind, and I am running camera, calling and shooting... and yes DSD Decoys too, not usually on a run & gun but in the fields. I have also killed a bird in a pasture with no cover and sitting up against a telephone pole and 20 yards :)

Here's how those hunts went, 2nd / 3rd / 4th seasons were my birds all of the other hunts I was calling birds for other hunters.

Blind:       Learn to Hunt @14 yards
No Blind:  Youth Hunt @ 15 yards
Blind:       #2 Youth Hunt was a Double at @ 15 yards
Blind:       1st Season Bow Hunt at just inside 10 yards
Blind:       1st Season 20ga Hunt @ 17 yards
No Blind:  1st Season Jake "new" hunter 1st bird @ 12 yards
Blind:       2nd Season @ 16 yards
No Blind:  3rd Season @14 yards
No Blind:  4th Season @ 6 steps :)
Blind:       5th Season @ 14 yards

MK M GOB:

WildTigerTrout

MK M GOBL,  That 4th season gobbler at 6 steps without a blind sounds very exciting!  I was curious and wondered about the youth hunts and the kills being so close. I assumed you were using blinds/decoys for those. Good luck to you this season.  It won't be long now!  WTT
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

MK M GOBL

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 03, 2017, 02:39:57 PM
  MK M GOBL,  That 4th season gobbler at 6 steps without a blind sounds very exciting!  I was curious and wondered about the youth hunts and the kills being so close. I assumed you were using blinds/decoys for those. Good luck to you this season.  It won't be long now!  WTT

It was! Wish I had it on camera to share but it is burned into my memory :) I do normally start the kids in the blind and using decoys, it does help with them and having some success, our Learn to Hunt is only a day or two and the next weekend is youth season (2 days) I do like the kids having the opportunity to get out first and have a chance before the rest of season starts. I do a lot of scouting and prep for these hunts and have had great success, then after a few years the goal is to teach them the on the ground one on one hunt I grew up on and still enjoy. Every hunt is different and I employ different tactics by the season.

MK M GOBL

WildTigerTrout

I grew up turkey hunting the same way, no blinds or decoys just me and the gobbler.  I still hunt that way.  I never got away from it.  I enjoy the challenge.  I could never film one of my hunts though as I move around and mostly run and gun.  It's all I can do to keep track of myself and the turkey!!  LOL Take care, WTT