turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunters per Acre

Started by ruination, March 02, 2017, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

I agree that there's no easy answer.  I have access to a 120 acre farm that has enough food and terrain for 3 or 4 hunters to tag out on...and an 860 acre farm that MIGHT only support one.

ilbucksndux

Depends. Are you hunting them like deer or turkeys ?
Gary Bartlow

ruination

Thanks for the insight guys.

Would you feel differently if it was pretty much only field hunting?

or Field with some shared woods?
.410 Favors the Bold

MK M GOBL

I am in a mix of hardwoods and fields, one of the bigger properties is 600 acres, with 400 acres of corn in one continuous field surrounded by 200 acres of timber around its edges and we kill a number of birds of this farm.

MK M GOBL

jblackburn

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 02, 2017, 08:43:15 PM
As many as you can afford...

actually as few as you can afford

I hunted with a friend on his lease last year and I promise you it was as crowded as the public land I hunt.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Kylongspur88

I like to roam. I think you can get away with more hunters per acre in the hills/mountains vs flat country.

darron

i can't speak for other areas but finding a property that is one hunter per 640 acres good luck! We hunt properties as small as 40 acres and as large as 200 continuous acres. We are very successful. In fact the smaller properties we getbpermission easier because most people over look them. The larger tracts get asked more. One of my best spots is under 50 acres. When hunting smaller properties patience is key.

2eagles

According to these numbers, I don't stand a chance. I hunt public ground river bottoms and do ok. Most of these are couple hundred acre chunks that scattered up and down the river as the owner sells to the county or state. Have to be careful knowing where the boundaries are! Yeah, other folks can mess up a hunt. Last year it was mushroom hunters. I hunt hard and often to get my birds and I love it.

greencop01

I don't go to the popular Public Areas, and you got to be resourceful. Either go remote or go where no one expects, like a deer/turkey trail that is legal distance from an access rd and the Forest HQ. Plenty of sign and never ran across another hunter. (Can't see it from the rd or from HQ, woods and brush) Too obvious. May not get a bird there every year but I have other spots like it. And this in Massachsetts, a lot of hunters.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Bowguy

Quote from: ruination on March 03, 2017, 03:59:28 PM

Well maybe you're fellow member also only field hunts n keeps beating you there. What if 5-6 guys think this way? What if you decide to run n gun? Or someone else does?
We've got a 1200 acre farm. It's mostly woods. Walking from one side to the other w no one else there to avoid trying to locate birds, so obviously we're moving, takes only an hour or so. Now what?
Many guys bash state land or feel handicapped. I don't get it. I live in the most populated state in the  in an area lots come to hunt.
Since the early 80s I've seen 1-2 other hunters.
Just walk a little, cross a brook, swamp,  climb a mountain.
Private land is cool but often less exclusive than correctly hunted public. Least where I live.
But think it all through before you decide if and how many.
Good luck

1iagobblergetter

If I had to go this route I'd figure out how much money I could spend and how many acres I could get for that. Then figure out how many other guys it would take to lease a property. If it took very many guys to make it happen and your going to be crowded anyway what's the point. Might as well hunt public then. If you had a calendar and everyone agreed and you picked your days to hunt before season where you could have the place to yourself or with maybe one or two other guys and not be hunting where it's messing eachother up then it would be worth it. Hence lease as many acres as you can afford with as few guys involved or a property that might not be huge that holds alot of turkeys that you yourself can afford. Myself I'd just as soon hunt a small property that holds turkeys myself than a big one with a bunch of hunters worrying about who was going to possibly shoot me.

ruination

Quote from: Bowguy on March 04, 2017, 09:28:38 AM
Quote from: ruination on March 03, 2017, 03:59:28 PM

Well maybe you're fellow member also only field hunts n keeps beating you there. What if 5-6 guys think this way? What if you decide to run n gun? Or someone else does?
We've got a 1200 acre farm. It's mostly woods. Walking from one side to the other w no one else there to avoid trying to locate birds, so obviously we're moving, takes only an hour or so. Now what?
Many guys bash state land or feel handicapped. I don't get it. I live in the most populated state in the  in an area lots come to hunt.
Since the early 80s I've seen 1-2 other hunters.
Just walk a little, cross a brook, swamp,  climb a mountain.
Private land is cool but often less exclusive than correctly hunted public. Least where I live.
But think it all through before you decide if and how many.
Good luck

There really is not any public land like this around me.
.410 Favors the Bold

TauntoHawk

I want a bunch of different properties, sometimes even a big place can be silent. If I only had one place I'd want it big so I can cover lots of ground.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

silvestris

I was spoiled in the early 70s through the late 80s.  Never had less than a section to myself.  I needed it too, cause there is nothing more pitiful than a beginning turkey hunter.  Chainsaws put an end to that along with the never ending growing number of turkey hunters.  I will never be consistently spoiled again.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

catman529

I'll have to read the sign-in list this year for the 1700 acre public land I like to hunt. I know it will get 50+ people easily on sat & sun mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk