OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunters per Acre

Started by ruination, March 02, 2017, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

More acres the better Id hate to be limited to a set acreage I prefer NF with plenty of room to roam.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

g8rvet

I now have a 125 acre piece with my 2 nephews.  It is good for 1-3 birds per year.  We get together before we hunt and know where we will be and discuss where we will reposition to depending on where the birds are.  I am perfectly happy if they kill the bird instead of me.

I hunted 1100 acres of mostly swamp with 20 guys, only 5-6 of which were real turkey hunters.  Most of them were selfish and would use any excuse they could to move right in on you.  I killed birds there, but did not have as  much fun.

I hunted 1000 acres with 10 turkey hunters and was friends with all of them.  We would hang a peg and stay within sight of where that peg was located.  If the bird gobbled near them, it was game on for them. If it was near me, it was game on for me.  We ate breakfast together once a month.  Loved it.

I hunt a 350 acre tract alone as well-no one else allowed and I can only take my son or daughter, no other guests.  Also hunt 550,000 acre public tract and it can get crowded.  I usually stay away until midseason or so.  Hunt there a lot more during the week. 

If I had to just hunt with unknown people, it would have to be stellar hunting, as it would be no different to me than public land.  I would much rather be more crowded with people I like.  But that is just me.  I would (and have) get a group together of close friends and family (big family) and then figure out a budget and then look for land that fit my budget. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.