turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Long/Paddle Box

Started by Rzrbac, March 01, 2017, 10:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

I've noticed several people being fond of a longbox. I have never tried to play one so I have no experience at all. I have been listening to some sound files of various longboxes and I kind of liked the way they sound.

I have a few questions: 1. Is a long box and paddle box the same thing?
                                  2.  Are they easy to run, the sound files sound good and I own some boxes that are supposed to be good but I can still tell they are Box calls.
                                  3.  Who is a good call maker making longboxes and what wood combination are good for long boxes?

worth612000

Long box and paddle calls are the same. They are harder to carry afield unless you get a holster. You can get more sounds from a long box due to you can start at different locations and stop the paddle after the roll over. A short box is usually just one stroke that ends when the lid is closed. I think tuning by the maker is more important than wood combinations, but in general it the same as the short box combinations. Look on here and the same short box makers can make you a good long box. Hope this rambling helps a little.

Rzrbac

Sure does help. I've been Turkey hunting for 31 years and never got into calls much. Just always used mouth calls and recently started looking at other type calls. I don't think I need them to kill turkeys but I would like to expand my knowledge a bit.

Bowhuntr73

Be careful, acquiring calls is very addictive. These custom call makers make beautiful calls with each by their own style!!

Will

Jeff McKamey of Twisting Creek Calls makes an outstanding long box. I have Kwila/Butternut that's hard to beat.
Marlin Watkins makes a long box that's hard to beat. Either poplar or butternut body with a bloodwood lid is a screamer. Cedar lid make a nice sound to.     

packmule

Russell Beard, Al Shoemaker, Ed Terefencko, Tim Bullock, Mike Lapp, Chuck Anderson, Ralph Snodgrass

Bowguy

If you're going to get any type box get a longbox. You can do so much more n they sound so much better. Not even close. Twisting creek was already mentioned n SS makes a great one too

MikeStaten

I'm just getting into longboxes.  Have a Marlin Watkins box and it sounds great.  The kee kees sound amazing on it.  Got a terefencko headed my way too. 

MG150

Go to youtube and watch Marlin Watkins showing how to play a Paddle call.That will convince you about getting one

culpeper

I've been Turkey hunting for 31 years and never got into calls much.

This is an interesting statement....I would have thought having hunted years ago like you started to hear the opposite.  At any rate, the guys are right, a long box is very diverse and will with experience running the call, produce all the sounds one might want for a spring or fall hunt.  I build box calls both long and short and favor a long box in the spring, but I do carry both.  For my LB I simply carry it in a fabric holster and tuck it in the back of my vest, or while running and gunning I carry it in my hand and call every 50-75 steps or so.

Like any call, there are a tons of very talented custom call makers who build them and build them them to sound great.  Good luck in your research.

M Sharpe

Story is that Neil Cost calls were called paddle calls. (I may need correcting a little here) Along comes Dick Kirby and buys the rights to the paddle call name. I think Neil signed 100 of the Quaker Boy paddle calls that were built like Neil's. Ever since Kirby bought those rights, they have been called longboxes. Kirby promoted them more or less as a locator call due to the high pitch that he tuned into his. Cost's had a little deeper pitch and were used just as a short box would be used. I own, and hunt with, several longboxes; but, personally, I prefer a short box. More and more though, I'm leaning towards the Turpins and hen boxes.

Russell Beard
Lamar Williams
Dan Harris
Darin Dawkins
Al Shoemaker
Mike Lapp
Steve Mann
Jeff McKamey
Scott Witter
Marlin Watkins
just to name a few......
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Rzrbac

Let me clarify on the previous statement.

My Dad didn't hunt so I got to go with my grandpa and my uncle. My uncle let me make a copy of a Ben Lee cassette. Mouth calls were the cheapest thing I could get and we didn't have much money.  I became pretty good with a mouth call so for many years I never even considered other calls.

As I've gotten older I wanted to try a few different kinds of calls. Ive got a few boxes from Mr. Paul. I bought them many years ago after seeing an add in a magazine. They sound nice but I preferred mouth calls so they went on a shelf. Since then I've bought a few pot calls but only one custom, that's from Mr. Trice. I am learning more about calls and am surprised at the various calls guys use.  Trumpet calls blow my mind, I had seen wingbones and heard them once or twice. I kind of thought of them as more conversation pieces. There's a lot out there that I'm just getting exposed to, a lot has to do with this forum.  Looks like I've missed out on a lot over the years.

culpeper

Rzrbac,

I by no means meant to come across critical of your mouth call use, but I'm sure you know that, I just found it "interesting" for someone who has hunted as long as you have not to get a fuller experience/exposure of great calls than you have.  That said, I would never be able to hold a candle to your mouth call expertise!

Part of my own experimentation with different calls is curiosity and trying to give stubborn birds a different sound than what they have heard the weeks prior.  For the most part it has worked and frankly learning and using different calls is FUN

Greg Massey

I can tell you from a 35 year turkey hunter, i got my first long box back couple months ago and it's outstanding. Got it from Mike at Spring Creek Calls. Mike makes one of the best long boxes of anyone that sells these boxes. Mike will include sound bits before you even buy the call so you call tell if you like the sound of the box..that's a lot more than some do that sell calls....Mike has a reasonable price on his calls ....my long is Eastern Red Ceder / chestnut....it measures 11 inch long, so its not that much longer than most short boxes

Rzrbac

I didn't think it critical about the calls.  Wished I would have been more exposed to some of the traditions of turkey hunting. Basically all I could afford was mouth call and had to make it work.

I've got to the point over the past few years I just want to try some new calls and become more of a student of the sport.  For me it's all about calling them in (as with most) if I kill it's a bonus.

Long boxes have me intrigued just wonder if I could even work one. I think they look sharp and if nothing else I'll look like I know what I'm doing in the woods :)