OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Long/Paddle Box

Started by Rzrbac, March 01, 2017, 10:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Quote from: Rzrbac on March 02, 2017, 07:24:17 PM
Long boxes have me intrigued just wonder if I could even work one.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

paboxcall

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 02, 2017, 07:30:18 PM

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods.

Very, very true statement.
:agreed:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

boatpaddle

It's the one call, that I don't go hunting without..... :newmascot:
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Bowguy

I didn't think it critical about the calls.  Wished I would have been more exposed to some of the traditions of turkey hunting. Basically all I could afford was mouth call and had to make it work.

I've got to the point over the past few years I just want to try some new calls and become more of a student of the sport.  For me it's all about calling them in (as with most) if I kill it's a bonus.

Long boxes have me intrigued just wonder if I could even work one. I think they look sharp and if nothing else I'll look like I know what I'm doing in the woods :)
I used straight mouth calls for years. Nothing but proud of that. Lots of birds taken w em. Longboxes are way easier to use. In fact imo all friction is. Nothing taken away from friction type calls but mouth calls are ones most guys find the hardest n some don't take the time to master. I didn't consider myself even decent for a couple years

Rzrbac

The more I listen to the long Box sound files the more tempted I get to buy one. I just about bought that tiger maple/paduak this morning. It went fast, somebody got a good sounding box.

greencop01

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 02, 2017, 07:30:18 PM

:camohat: X3  My favorite paddle call makers are #1 Mr Billy Bush                                       
                                                                                               #2 Mr Marlin Watkins                                 
                                                                                               #3 Mr Ralph Snodgrass                               
        I'm still on a learning curve and don't sound near like the sound files on here but I still call turkeys in pretty close and have done it enough to know it isn't by accident, Mr Bush says a good long box is a musical instrument and you can't sound good unless you practice. Just like a guitar or piano, gotta practice to sound good.   :z-twocents:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

SteelerFan

Buckle up!! It's gonna be a fun ride!

I've hunted turkeys for a long time. Got into spring season heavy in 1984. I would kill my bird, and "guide" for my buddies. My standard was the mouth call. Hate to think of the numbers over the years. I was always armed with 1/2 doz mouth calls, a Roger Latham box, and whatever pot-du juor I used (sparingly) for that year or two.

I would still feel very confident walking into the woods with just a mouth call or two in my pocket and my gun. But what fun is that? LOL

This site in particular has caused me to expand my horizons - and challenge myself to become proficient on as many types of calls as possible. Don't need to for killing birds, but it is fun.

Now, I have a tube call, 4 scratch boxes, 3 or 4 short boxes, a long box on the way, 3 trumpets, 1 wing bone on order from Mr. Sharpe, and more quality pot calls than I'm going to count. Curse you internet!!!

Hello, I'm a SteelerFan and I like turkey calls...
:gobble:

1iagobblergetter

I didn't think it critical about the calls.  Wished I would have been more exposed to some of the traditions of turkey hunting. Basically all I could afford was mouth call and had to make it work.

I've got to the point over the past few years I just want to try some new calls and become more of a student of the sport.  For me it's all about calling them in (as with most) if I kill it's a bonus.

Long boxes have me intrigued just wonder if I could even work one. I think they look sharp and if nothing else I'll look like I know what I'm doing in the woods :)
I think it's commendable that after hunting for years you want to experiment and try different calls. For me it adds to the fun of turkey hunting and it's neat using one call and not getting a response,switching to a different type of call and having them respond. It's just adding more tricks in your bag and for me has lightened my wallet. Usually always have a call I still think I need..Lol...

Rzrbac

Yes, getting on this website has cost me a little money. :D. Likely gonna cost me more, there's a long box in my future. May have to visit the get together call makers have in GA too. I'm taking my son to an archery tourney there next weekend. Too bad they don't coinciede, I'll just be sitting around for a couple of days while he's shooting.

nitro

Custom turkey calls are a very bad addiction. If it weren't for them, I would have a nicer house and a couple Porsches. :toothy12:

Reality is, I wouldn't trade my meager collection of calls for either. I love the art, craftsmanship and history that Turkey calls are. 

I carry a Steve Mann PADDLE Call on every hunt. I won't leave the truck without one.
Royal Slam 2008

coyote1

You can't go wrong with a long box from Mike at spring creek. I bought that cherry/tiger maple and it sounds great as do the other long and short boxes i have from him.

Rzrbac

So it looks like in no particular order:
Jeff Mackamey
Billy Bush
Marlin Watkins
SS
Steve Mann
Russell Beard

Are all quality call makers. If a guy was going to get on a list and try to have one by next spring, who would that be. In other words, wait times around a year.  Thanks.

packmule

If you order a call from SS you probably won't have to wait very long.  I've always got calls quickly from Al and Josh and they are all very good.  Pretty tough to beat their quality and turnaround time.  If you're content to wait until next spring then you have several good options.  I think Russell Beard will get you a call fairly quickly too, McKamey may as well.  I think Steve Mann's wait list is around 2 years right now, not sure about the others on your list.

crow

I would put Ralph Snodgrass (Lightning Strike) on that list.
He may have some made up on hand, he also makes a shorter boatpaddle that are very good.

packmule