Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How come Missouri turkey season starts so late compared to other states ?

Started by owlhoot, February 28, 2017, 04:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Tail Feathers

Trying to increase the population?
Here in E. Texas our season opens April 15.  I further south that most of MS, AL and even OK opens before we do.  Populations keep declining, I think they moved it back to make sure every hen had a tom available during peak breeding time.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Ozarks Hillbilly

They have always set it to open the closest Monday to the 16th of April. They think most years the majority of the breading will be done by then.

turkeyfoot

To put it frankly they relly care about their turkey populations unlike a state like NC that opens too early before majority of breeding is done. Everyone want to start hunting early but they don't understand the way to keep bird numbers up is m0st breeding should be done the overall health of population should mean more to hunters than killing birds. And the south wonders why they have declining populations having to cut tags change season dates ask SC and Ark. People just have to remember this ain't deer hunting it has to be treated different and I have always respected Missouri dedication to the wild turkey

slave601

"thinnin the flock"

BowBendr

You have to applaud Missouri for trying to keep the numbers high. They get a lot of pressure on their birds and the biologist know it. In turn, the state actually listens to their hired people it seems. Lots of their hunting regs favor the turkey, not the hunter. In my state (NC) uneducated hunters/shooters want to start hunting birds the instant they hear the first gobble.
Dear Lordy spring is coming early, save us !!
They bombard our 19 appointed game commissioners (that don't hunt) to move the season up earlier and earlier every year. Turkey hunters that know nothing about turkey reproduction are a HUGE detriment to turkeys everywhere. 

dirtnap

Quote from: turkeyfoot on February 28, 2017, 05:27:18 PM
To put it frankly they relly care about their turkey populations unlike a state like NC that opens too early before majority of breeding is done. Everyone want to start hunting early but they don't understand the way to keep bird numbers up is m0st breeding should be done the overall health of population should mean more to hunters than killing birds. And the south wonders why they have declining populations having to cut tags change season dates ask SC and Ark. People just have to remember this ain't deer hunting it has to be treated different and I have always respected Missouri dedication to the wild turkey

They lengthened the season by opening it up earlier by 12 days and adding 4 days to the end in the upstate of SC.  It used to be April 1 - May 1.

March 20 - May 5.  The limit is now 3 statewide.  They changed the lowcountry from March 15 - May 1 to March 20 - May 5.  Everything statewide is now uniform from dates to limits.

It had nothing to do with any documented scientific data.  If it did, please post the information.  Habitat change and kneejerk reactions from lawmakers is what changed our season.   Per actual acreage of viable habitat, we have plenty plenty of turkeys as a state.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: dirtnap on February 28, 2017, 06:43:41 PM
Quote from: turkeyfoot on February 28, 2017, 05:27:18 PM

They lengthened the season by opening it up earlier by 12 days and adding 4 days to the end in the upstate of SC.  It used to be April 1 - May 1.

March 20 - May 5.  The limit is now 3 statewide.  They changed the lowcountry from March 15 - May 1 to March 20 - May 5.  Everything statewide is now uniform from dates to limits.

It had nothing to do with any documented scientific data.  If it did, please post the information.  Habitat change and kneejerk reactions from lawmakers is what changed our season.   Per actual acreage of viable habitat, we have plenty plenty of turkeys as a state.
I'm not trying to stir the pot in any fashion but like elk, animals should be regulated by region. Deer populations and turkey populations should be treated the same. If numbers are declining, changing dates or shortening seasons isn't a bad idea. Just because harvest records don't show a decline doesn't mean that it's not happening. Deer back home are spotty and I'm just as guilty as the next guy. If a tag is available, I'll fill it. Reducing the numbers in regions isn't a bad thing while increasing in others is applauded as well. It just depends on what's going on in that area. Looking at harvest records (not implying that's where you're getting your numbers from) isn't a tell all for what's really going on. I e no idea what's going on in SC but I do know that people have complained here that our season starts too late and that most breeding is over with making hunting the birds harder. If that makes the difference of seeing their numbers increase or at least remain stable, so be it.

Ozark870Hunter

MDC (MO dept. of conserv.) established the model for turkey re-introduction via relocation of captured birds from other states in the 60's and 70's. It was wildly successful, to the point of massive overpopulation in the early/mid 80's.
The population has balanced itself out and MO is and has been ever since a premiere turkey destination.
MDC knows this and limit the season/bag limit to maintain the great hunting we have.
Other states copied MO's methods of reintroduction. 
Wish they would follow the lead by copying our later season start date as well.
It works.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

sevetts

Being born and raised in southern mo and knowing I will spend every spring that I live there, I feel as though I have a right to comment here. I think it is absolutely insane our seasons start as late as they do. I am not a sky is falling and season will be over before it gets here guy, regardless there will be birds that gobble and il find a way to kill them. But if your in the southern part of the state right now and you are excited at what is coming I'd have to question how long you have been hunting turkeys. Monday I listened to birds spread out all over and they gobbled untill I left them at 8 45. I have heard birds gobble early and expect it but they didn't stop when they hit the ground and they were gobbling in all directions hundreds of gobbles from multiple birds. It was February 27th. We have a bag limit that won't change which I am fine with. We have our weeks set up in a form of 1 bird only first week, I'm great with that. If someone could tell me honestly the last season we had where peak breeding was remotely close to the middle of april I'd like to know. Peak breeding will be late march and if its unuasually warm like everyone is forcasting it will be very tough by april 17th. I hate that. I hate having to kill birds with gobble calls the last week and a half of season. It makes no sense at all. If the mdc is praised by you for the protect numbers mentaility then how do they justify our firearms rifle season that will fall very close to peak breeding every year, we offer unlimited doe tags In numerous countys, and we have legalized cross guns from Sept 15th through Jan 15th. How much has the deer harvest changed? Has the population been decimated due to over harvest or disease? It just dosent make sense. In my opinion turkey season has been 2 weeks late for the past several seasons , unlike deer, elk and almost any other game you have no opertunitiy to chase them with alternative weapons and you have to take what you get. I will continue to go to kansas and Illinois and then wait a couple weeks to hunt at home... Bag limits won't change regardless of when the season opens but the way you hunt will, everything is unusually early this year. Water temps are way up, fishing is almost a month ahead of schedule, everything is in bloom if not blossoming and as I type this it's february. I'm not sure you'll be able to see a bird in the woods by April 17th... There is no normal or usually anymore though

Gooserbat

Everyone wishes their turkey hunting was like Missouri's but no one wants to do what Missouri does in order to have what they have.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

Wow didn't know we had it so good in Missouri. I have had some very tough seasons .due to season timing. Much of the northern part of the state has a population below the original stocking levels. You can drive around and not even spot any turkey for hours and hours.Having talked to many farmers and conservation officials who say the same thing.  Our spots did have a dozen or more gobbler a few years back and now lucky to hear 2-3 . And that change didn't come from us killing them out.
We did go south this past year and it was a lot better but lots and lots of people are around Truman and lake of the ozark.
Funny thing we went to Kansas and thought this is way to easy, lots of birds and low hunting pressure and the earlier season.

jakesdad

Quote from: sevetts on February 28, 2017, 11:02:16 PM
Being born and raised in southern mo and knowing I will spend every spring that I live there, I feel as though I have a right to comment here. I think it is absolutely insane our seasons start as late as they do. I am not a sky is falling and season will be over before it gets here guy, regardless there will be birds that gobble and il find a way to kill them. But if your in the southern part of the state right now and you are excited at what is coming I'd have to question how long you have been hunting turkeys. Monday I listened to birds spread out all over and they gobbled untill I left them at 8 45. I have heard birds gobble early and expect it but they didn't stop when they hit the ground and they were gobbling in all directions hundreds of gobbles from multiple birds. It was February 27th. We have a bag limit that won't change which I am fine with. We have our weeks set up in a form of 1 bird only first week, I'm great with that. If someone could tell me honestly the last season we had where peak breeding was remotely close to the middle of april I'd like to know. Peak breeding will be late march and if its unuasually warm like everyone is forcasting it will be very tough by april 17th. I hate that. I hate having to kill birds with gobble calls the last week and a half of season. It makes no sense at all. If the mdc is praised by you for the protect numbers mentaility then how do they justify our firearms rifle season that will fall very close to peak breeding every year, we offer unlimited doe tags In numerous countys, and we have legalized cross guns from Sept 15th through Jan 15th. How much has the deer harvest changed? Has the population been decimated due to over harvest or disease? It just dosent make sense. In my opinion turkey season has been 2 weeks late for the past several seasons , unlike deer, elk and almost any other game you have no opertunitiy to chase them with alternative weapons and you have to take what you get. I will continue to go to kansas and Illinois and then wait a couple weeks to hunt at home... Bag limits won't change regardless of when the season opens but the way you hunt will, everything is unusually early this year. Water temps are way up, fishing is almost a month ahead of schedule, everything is in bloom if not blossoming and as I type this it's february. I'm not sure you'll be able to see a bird in the woods by April 17th... There is no normal or usually anymore though

I think the whole idea is NOT to have peak breeding close to the season but rather to have most breeding done by that time. So it's warm now and birds are gobbling here in North MO also but who's to say March won't be colder than normal. I've heard them on warm Nov days deer hunting gobble like it's spring. Comparing deer to turkeys is apples to oranges. Fawn survival rates are much higher than it is for poults  allowing deer populations to flourish where a wet and/or cold spring can drastically  affect  turkey numbers. I like the seasons how they are for the most part.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Roost 1

Quote from: sevetts on February 28, 2017, 11:02:16 PM

Not being able to hunt birds the way you want to is one thing, not having birds to hunt is another....I'm sure you would much better prefer the problem you have now.... With that being said I hunt in KY and our season opens 2 days before MO and our management efforts mirrored MO in the beginning. Its a sound plan I wouldn't knock it. Just ask the TN guys what an early season and  a 4 bird limit gets you after a few yrs.....

turkeyfoot

Several southern states have been doing studies or at least having conversations due to bird numbers being down. I've heard Missouri talking about areas with lower numbers but I'd sure like to have their problems with their populations and harvest numbers being better than many states could imagine.