OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How come Missouri turkey season starts so late compared to other states ?

Started by owlhoot, February 28, 2017, 04:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinci1964

I hunt north central Missouri every year and never got out on opening day. I almost always hunt the week afterwards because of work.   Some years it is hard to find a gobbler. Not sure about southern part of the state but I am sure it has an affect.

We also go for the youth hunt which is 9 days before opening day of regular season. Perhaps that is why MO starts late. They allow the youths to hunt the peak (they do come into a call a lot better during that period).  I have always enjoyed calling them in more than shooting them.

My point is that it is an option although you don't get to take the turkey home. Take a youth out, call him in and let the youth pull the trigger. It's also great preseason scouting.

turkey harvester

I live and hunt southern Mo. Myself I think the season is spot on. The youth get to hunt when they really starting to gobble good, and they should. But I've seen sleet, snow, cold as a well diggers butt during youth and regular season. Last year I got skunked, first time in 24 years, but I still called my season a success. The birds here in the south will gobble late may and even June. We hear em crappie fishin at daylight. So is it late? I don't think so, you just may have to hunt a little harder and stuck it out. But that's what makes it sooooo fun.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

owlhoot

Yes the youth season has been pretty good most years .  Was glad to get to take the boy, had a great time and good gobbling most years. Usually The very beginning of April right? Saturday and Sunday season. Now waiting 3 weeks to go regular season doesn't make sense to me.
Maybe the lack of turkey has brought on a different view seeing the turkey population decline in North Missouri anyhow. But really missing the amount of gobbling. Killing is not the most important part for me anymore.
Glad you guys down in south Missouri still got it good and most seem to like the season where it is at now. 

Rzrbac

It's not as good down here as it used to be. Especially on the public I'm hunting.  Nothing like it was in the 90s. There are places I could hear ten birds in one morning and I may not even hear a bird in that spot this season.

Hook hanger

Quote from: Rzrbac on March 01, 2017, 10:28:44 PM
It's not as good down here as it used to be. Especially on the public I'm hunting.  Nothing like it was in the 90s. There are places I could hear ten birds in one morning and I may not even hear a bird in that spot this season.

I live in central mo and the land I hunted on in the 80s, 90s, and real early 00s you would hear 20 different gobblers sounding off it was a blast during those years. Since about 2008 to the present all I hear is about 4-6 different birds gobbling on the same land. Populations around me keep falling off and and have seen some farms that used to have birds no longer hold any birds.

Parrot Head

Indiana must really love turkeys.  We don't open until April 26th.

Bolandstrutters

Of course numbers are down in Missouri compared to what is was in the 90s and early 2000s.  Those numbers weren't sustainable.  Those were the absolute glory days of turkey hunting.  About ten years ago, Missouri took a sharp decline in turkey numbers.  Hunting here every spring I have noticed it getting slightly better each year.  Some years slightly better then others, but weather and time to hunt has more to do with that then anything.  The only thing i'd like to see changed here is an early archery season.  I'd be happy if it was only three days long.  I'm happy MDCi hasnt screwed up turkey hunting like they have deer. 

Fullfan

I will add my .02. I have been hunting Texas and Shannon Counties as a non resident for the past 25-26 years. Have seen the numbers of gobbling birds and sign drop off in the past 7 years. But in places where I have never  seen other hunters I am running into guys. And lots of them, many locals, but most are like me nonresidents. I like how the Missouri season is and I don't know if a earlier opener would change things of not? Many of the locals I know tell me that the gobbling was like a turkey farm in the two day youth hunt. But we never see it.
Don't gobble at me...

tha bugman

Don't know why but glad they do as it is another option once our season closes!

stinkpickle

I haven't hunted southern Missouri, but from what I've heard in the past, the season opener is usually perfect for EITHER the northern half OR the southern half, but rarely for both.  If things are perfect in the south, it's too early up north.  If things are perfect in the north, it's too late down south.  Since I've never hunted south of I-70 (in Missouri, at least), I can't confirm if that's true, or not. 

owlhoot

Well if it hits close to the best time . That can work that way.
Probably be a bit better chance if north Missouri would get some birds growing.

3chunter

Quote from: dirtnap on February 28, 2017, 06:43:41 PM
Quote from: turkeyfoot on February 28, 2017, 05:27:18 PM
To put it frankly they relly care about their turkey populations unlike a state like NC that opens too early before majority of breeding is done. Everyone want to start hunting early but they don't understand the way to keep bird numbers up is m0st breeding should be done the overall health of population should mean more to hunters than killing birds. And the south wonders why they have declining populations having to cut tags change season dates ask SC and Ark. People just have to remember this ain't deer hunting it has to be treated different and I have always respected Missouri dedication to the wild turkey

They lengthened the season by opening it up earlier by 12 days and adding 4 days to the end in the upstate of SC.  It used to be April 1 - May 1.

March 20 - May 5.  The limit is now 3 statewide.  They changed the lowcountry from March 15 - May 1 to March 20 - May 5.  Everything statewide is now uniform from dates to limits.

It had nothing to do with any documented scientific data.  If it did, please post the information.  Habitat change and kneejerk reactions from lawmakers is what changed our season.   Per actual acreage of viable habitat, we have plenty plenty of turkeys as a state.

I agree totally.  We don't have a pop decrease at all.  We have a money hungry problem with the big time few leading the charge.

owlhoot

I don't get it.
NC is money hungry by cutting from 4 to 3 birds?
Longer season?

fallhnt

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on March 02, 2017, 08:03:47 AM
Of course numbers are down in Missouri compared to what is was in the 90s and early 2000s.  Those numbers weren't sustainable.  Those were the absolute glory days of turkey hunting.  About ten years ago, Missouri took a sharp decline in turkey numbers.  Hunting here every spring I have noticed it getting slightly better each year.  Some years slightly better then others, but weather and time to hunt has more to do with that then anything.  The only thing i'd like to see changed here is an early archery season.  I'd be happy if it was only three days long.  I'm happy MDCi hasnt screwed up turkey hunting like they have deer.
Archery only would be a nice add.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Hooksfan

Quote from: fallhnt on March 04, 2017, 07:13:57 PM
Quote from: Bolandstrutters on March 02, 2017, 08:03:47 AM
Archery only would be a nice add.

Only if added to the END of the season. You can already archery hunt turkey if that is your thing. Archery ONLY is another way of saying, "I like to archery hunt because of the challenge, but I want first shot at em to make it easier."
Missouri is not Kansas or Nebraska. An early archery season would be an entirely different animal here.