OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Should I expect more at Cabelas?

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 27, 2017, 12:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 02, 2017, 05:22:09 PM
Can't speak about every retail store but have been in the game for better than 25 years on both sides of the fence, have worked at both pro shops and big retail. And if you have you also understand what a building, maintenance, employees, benefits and donations etc. cost. I have looked at budgets and P&L from both and a vast difference in costs and benefits. Can't tell you how many times I have heard "Well I can get it on Amazon for $$$" in retail... I can also say every customer I work with is just as important to me no matter what my place of employment has been.

And also know you can't always "hire" the experts, it takes time for someone to gain experience in any workplace.

MK M GOBL
I understand all that n mean no disrespect but what about a new guy headed there to buy a bow for him n his wife? They come to class weeks later w the new bows they saved for n cannot replace anytime soon.
They're so long they can't anchor or follow through properly n this is affecting their accuracy.
They've been forced to learn to compensate n prob for at least 5 years or more. Perhaps the eye dominance is incorrect. Is it fair to them they now have an expensive item that's not gonna work right for them because Cabelas didn't want to pay for an expert?
Do the employees even understand the dif types of releases n ask before they measure someone?
It's not fair to the person buying equipment to be told something is right by someone not qualified to make that statement.
Also not fair to overcharge because of the customers need to pay for the advertising.
Again no offense just my thoughts

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Bowguy on March 02, 2017, 05:40:13 PM
Can't speak about every retail store but have been in the game for better than 25 years on both sides of the fence, have worked at both pro shops and big retail. And if you have you also understand what a building, maintenance, employees, benefits and donations etc. cost. I have looked at budgets and P&L from both and a vast difference in costs and benefits. Can't tell you how many times I have heard "Well I can get it on Amazon for $$$" in retail... I can also say every customer I work with is just as important to me no matter what my place of employment has been.

And also know you can't always "hire" the experts, it takes time for someone to gain experience in any workplace.

MK M GOBL
I understand all that n mean no disrespect but what about a new guy headed there to buy a bow for him n his wife? They come to class weeks later w the new bows they saved for n cannot replace anytime soon.
They're so long they can't anchor or follow through properly n this is affecting their accuracy.
They've been forced to learn to compensate n prob for at least 5 years or more. Perhaps the eye dominance is incorrect. Is it fair to them they now have an expensive item that's not gonna work right for them because Cabelas didn't want to pay for an expert?
Do the employees even understand the dif types of releases n ask before they measure someone?
It's not fair to the person buying equipment to be told something is right by someone not qualified to make that statement.
Also not fair to overcharge because of the customers need to pay for the advertising.

Interesting "argument." Big box stores are obviously just looking to hire people to fill positions. However, if you are going to have an archery/gun/whatever department, the least that you could do is hire somebody who has experience in that particular field.

MK M GOBL

No offense taken, just can't take a blanket statement "all big box" whether it be all Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Scheels, Dick's or Field & Stream... We do have some very skilled people working and when you have 20,000 employees in just one of those businesses let alone 6 probably employing over 100,000. know not everyone of those jobs is customer facing but a good percentage is dealing directly with the customer. Hope this is a local problem to what your local store is, but in the same respect I have seen some bad stuff come out of a "Pro Shop" too... And have fixed their problems as well.

You could look at this from many angles... Let's say I drink Pepsi and their actual "cost" is way under what you are paying for. Just think of what they pay out in commercials, advertising, sponsorships and such and you may not even endorse "who" or what they sponsor...

Same goes with a lot of hunting equipment... them shows, sponsors, hunts don't come free you pay for them in every product you buy in one form or another, just cost of doing business.

Not trying to be preachy just have seen both sides of this for a long time.

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 02, 2017, 06:08:11 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 02, 2017, 05:40:13 PM

MK M GOBL

Interesting "argument." Big box stores are obviously just looking to hire people to fill positions. However, if you are going to have an archery/gun/whatever department, the least that you could do is hire somebody who has experience in that particular field.

In some cases the skill set isn't the same for every position let's say a cashier, you are looking for someone who can handle that position, as in Archery, Fishing, Firearms and so on. I guess when I first started at the Archery Pro Shop, I had no other skills than I bought bows and equipment from them, They hired me on as I worked construction and was off over the winter hours, I was taught on-the-job how to set-up bows and equipment by the shop, yup was a newbie to this at one time.

And for "us" when we interview we do look for some experience and teach where we can.

MK M GOBL

beakbuster10

Cabelas opened a store here in Virginia. Only one I've ever been in, and it was really disappointing. Went and was looking for a whitetail packs last fall. They had a wall full of mountain packs with huge bags and external frames with only two treestand/day packs. Got the itch for a new duck call last spring. Went to check some out, and wouldn't you know it not a one in the store. Decided to get some corn while I was there. They didn't have a single bag of corn in the middle of the summer when every tom dick and harry is running cameras. I'll order stuff online when they have good deals and that's it's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 27, 2017, 12:59:59 PM
I am looking to get a new leafy suit when I go to Cabelas on Thursday, but can only find two suits online, and the less expensive suit is sold out at that store (other suit is more than I am willing to spend on a leafy suit and is also sold out in store). Should I expect for there to be some other brands/options in store, or is what I see online what I will see in the store?

Also, how many times can I say store?

So, back to your original question.  No, do not expect anything to change online or in the store.  Cabelas has had the exact same 3D leafy suits / camo options available online since this time last year, 2016.  I waited until shortly before opening day of 2016 spring season hoping they would add a greener version of ANY of the 3D suit to their online inventory, and Cabelas did not.

I bought the Realtree version (I had Cabela bucks to burn), however I think its just too brown for spring season, even early season before the full green up, and ended up adding some green fabric leaves to add some color contrast.  Quality was good, color Even their own camo brand is way too brown IMO.

To your question - go shop elsewhere to get a spring suitable 3D outfit.  Cabelas disappointed this time in my opinion.  Better options out there.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

turkaholic

I've been buying Cabelas leafy wear ever since the very first suit came out. Several years ago got the newest version with the hood and the pockets. I have to say you can't find a better product out there. I modified mine with a see through mask that I can tuck in and keep those nasty black flies out. I have been a Cabelas guy for a long time but they have been sub par on occasion. They will however take anything back.
live to hunt hunt to live