turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HELP determining newly inconsistent pattern!!'

Started by WNCTracker, February 25, 2017, 10:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Ok so it's a mossberg 835 24" barrel with Indian creek choke and bushnell trs-25 red dot shooting 3" LB #6.   1 3/4 oz shells. Been shooting this combo for a year.  With great results.

Today I shot 15 rounds at different distances using a rest, and I don't have a flinch. Adjusted the dot at 3,6, and 9th shots I fooled with adjusting the dot up down or whatever but I never could get it right but it was close. Then the final 10-15 I just kept shooting without adjusting and it was BAD. 8 inches left then 8 inches right or 6 inches low. Some would have been total misses on a bird.

Here's the background. This year I am using a new barrel and added a pistol grip. The big thing i am most concerned about is that it fell down the stairs about 12 feet 2 weeks ago. No visible damage. I shot it after that about 6 times to be sure and it was more consistent then than it is now. Before I buy a new scope because I'm not sure what else to do, is there anything that could explain this inconsistent pattern?  I checked everything is tightened down like it should be and the scope mounts are solid with locktite. Help anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Sounds to me like you have eliminated all the possibilities except for the scope.  Time to get a new one. 

Happy

X2 on the scope.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Fullfan

Shoot it without the scope and see what the results are
Don't gobble at me...

Gumby

It's the red dot. I know people like that model but had one go bad on me this year after two years of use

Tail Feathers

Is the barrel cap screwed on tight?  Just about has to be that or the scope.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

1iagobblergetter

WNCTracker

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 25, 2017, 11:37:16 AM
Is the barrel cap screwed on tight?  Just about has to be that or the scope.
Yeah I checked the cap first.

Greg Massey

Is the Indian Creek choke a ported choke, is this choke the only one you have ? I would try a different choke, one that's non - ported.... I've never heard much good about Indian Creek chokes.. What is the dia. of the Indian Creek...   You can't say for sure it's the red dot..  I'm thinking choke?

BowBendr

bbcoach

1. Check the barrel nut and make sure it is hand tight then tighten it a couple of clicks with a pair of channel locs
2. Check the IC choke very carefully to see if there are any cracks or broken slots and it is snug in the new barrel
3. Make sure the IC choke is fitting properly in the new barrel with a good light
4. Clean and polish the new barrel and reshoot if you don't get good patterns then

4. Remove the scope and shoot it to see if POA/POI are fairly consistent from shot to shot

This should tell you what is going on

WNCTracker

Quote from: bbcoach on February 25, 2017, 12:15:12 PM
1. Check the barrel nut and make sure it is hand tight then tighten it a couple of clicks with a pair of channel locs
2. Check the IC choke very carefully to see if there are any cracks or broken slots and it is snug in the new barrel
3. Make sure the IC choke is fitting properly in the new barrel with a good light
4. Clean and polish the new barrel and reshoot if you don't get good patterns then

4. Remove the scope and shoot it to see if POA/POI are fairly consistent from shot to shot

This should tell you what is going on
1.  I tightened it 3 clicks with channel locks when I assembled it
2.  Choke was snug, just checked and it's not cracked.
3.  When you say "properly" what exactly do you mean? 
4.  I deep cleaned the barrel before it was ever fired or dropped down stairs.
5.  The barrel doesn't have any sights. It's a used but "new to me" barrel but it's in great condition.

WNCTracker

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 25, 2017, 11:53:58 AM
Is the Indian Creek choke a ported choke, is this choke the only one you have ? I would try a different choke, one that's non - ported.... I've never heard much good about Indian Creek chokes.. What is the dia. of the Indian Creek...   You can't say for sure it's the red dot..  I'm thinking choke?
Yes it's ported. .675 diameter. I've used it 5 years without an issue.

WNCTracker

Quote from: Gumby on February 25, 2017, 11:34:57 AM
It's the red dot. I know people like that model but had one go bad on me this year after two years of use
What did you replace it with?

bbcoach

Sounds as if you have all the bases covered.  I would suspect the red dot as well.  Proper fit of the choke would be verifying that the choke when screwed into the barrel should mesh with the barrel with no gaps and that it does not bulge at the bottom.  It should be a seamless fit.