turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HELP determining newly inconsistent pattern!!'

Started by WNCTracker, February 25, 2017, 10:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I pulled the choke out to check the threads....Saw this looking down the choke . Couldn't see it looking up the bore toward the chamber. It's like "creosote". Very crunchy. I wonder if this is my culprit?  That would make sense. Should I soak it in hoppes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

I'd clean it up then shoot a couple rounds and see. If that don't work pull the sight and see how it shoots without it. I could be wrong,but think when it's shooting all over the place it's still your sight. All you can do is rule problems out step by step until you find your issue..

bbcoach

That could be the culprit.  It could be dragging or pushing on the wad as it exits the barrel.  Pull the choke, give it a good cleaning, I use break cleaner on mine.  Put an improved cylinder choke in and deep clean the barrel again.  Remove the improved choke and clean the threads real well.  Reinstall the Indian Creek back in and shoot her again.  Keep us posted.

Roost 1

I have a pistol grip on my 835 and had this same problem last year. I thought all the same things you have mentioned. Well after close examination I noticed my stock was just a little loose barely noticeable. Tightened it up and problems went away. I'd check the stock.
Hope you figure it out soon.

WNCTracker

Thanks to all for the help. I'll get on this

MickT

Is it throwing a good pattern all over the place or a poor pattern? I wonder if that's not just a little resin or plastic off a wad. An flaw in the barrel or choke would most likely wreck the pattern. If it is throwing a tight pattern, something is loose, bent, or the scope died.

WNCTracker

Quote from: MickT on February 25, 2017, 06:35:11 PM
Is it throwing a good pattern all over the place or a poor pattern? I wonder if that's not just a little resin or plastic off a wad. An flaw in the barrel or choke would most likely wreck the pattern. If it is throwing a tight pattern, something is loose, bent, or the scope died.

That's a good point. The pattern was pretty good. 200+ in 10 at 40 just not centered.

chatterbox

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 25, 2017, 10:32:00 AM
Sounds to me like you have eliminated all the possibilities except for the scope.  Time to get a new one.
This^^^^^^^

WNCTracker

I figured this all out. The fowled choke was part of it but also the stick bolt washer was bent convex so I replaced it with 3 heavy washers. so when I got the choke spotless as well as the stock tight. It shot consistent again. Thanks for all advice

BOFF

Good to read.

Thanks for the follow up!

God Bless,
David B.

owlhoot

Glad you got it .
Two things messed up can really mess with a guy sometimes???

owlhoot

Hey what was that junk by the choke anyway? You been shooting Winchester long beards  ?

WNCTracker

Quote from: owlhoot on March 04, 2017, 12:19:08 PM
Hey what was that junk by the choke anyway? You been shooting Winchester long beards  ?
I think it was plastic. Cheap bird shot and longbeard.

TrackeySauresRex

Right On, on cracking  the case. And I'm glad it wasn't your Trs-25. I just put one on my 20.  :blob10:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."