turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington SPS Supermag shurshot or???

Started by Txag12, February 23, 2017, 09:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txag12

Looking at buying a dedicated turkey gun but having a hard time deciding what I'd go with...currently leaning towards this option and wanted to see what yalls thoughts were

http://www.cabelas.com/product/REMINGTON-SUPER-MAG-SHOTGUN/2430767.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dturkey%26CQ_st%3Db

Currently shoot a sbe2 which is great...but I'd prefer to get something set up dedicated for turkey hunting only. Don't really see the need for a semi auto when turkey hunting, I'm open to any recommendations of other guns...would definitely prefer a pistol style grip stock

dirt road ninja

Buy what makes you you happy. The ammo makes the gun and I think the attached will be a great tool. Pick the ammo you want to use and make the gun shoot it.

Duffer58

If the gun fits you well and you like the balance / weight go for it and follow Txag12's advice and work with your ammo and gun to get a good pattern.  I have the 870 SPS super mag turkey predator.  The primary difference is it comes with a scope base instead of iron sights.   I really like the gun
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

laker

I would also give Mossberg 835 (or even the 535 Turkey Thug model) with the pistol grip stock. The pistol grip stock gives the same rigidity of the sureshot stock but is much much more comfortable IMO.

Tsawyer340

I had one, great gun killed a lot of birds with it. You won't be disappointed with it.

Gobble!

I like the Knoxx Stock more than the ShurShot.

raywa

I just got a 870 SPS at basspro for 499.00 and love it.

bmhern

I have the same gun, with primos jellyhead .665 I got 241 hits in 10" circle at 40 yds with #6 longbeards. You can't go wrong with it.

greencop01

:camohat: I got the SPS Turkey/Predator model. One day turkey hunting with it and you'll never go back to a long barrel, no more hanging up on tree branches, practically never pruning branches on set-ups, you'll wonder what took you so long to try it. The SPS stock fits like a glove and makes aiming and controlling the shot easy. Shoots great too ! And it's a Remington. About 12,000,000 870's sold since 1950.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Txag12

Thanks guys ended up picking one up this evening. Will be seeing how it patterns with the hevi shot .662 choke tube and Hevi 13 3-1/2" #6 then go from there if needed

DawgsFan1

For what it is worth I have the same gun with same choke. I am shooting 3" #6 Longbeards with great numbers. In fact that shell outperformed the Hevi-Shot #6.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Txag12

WildSpur

I have the same gun and I will not give it up for anything!

I am rocking a 660 jelly head and a FF2.   3.5" mag blends give me 220 @ 40.  No competition set up but perfect for my hunting!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

taketheshot

I purchased the 870 shurshot turkey/predator model not too long ago and am yet to sight in/pattern. To those of you who have one of these 870's, did the Remington HD turkey/predator choke (.670 or .672 I believe) perform well? Looking to pattern Win xtended #6's, win LB and HS mag blends.

greencop01

Quote from: taketheshot on March 05, 2017, 09:02:29 AM
I purchased the 870 shurshot turkey/predator model not too long ago and am yet to sight in/pattern. To those of you who have one of these 870's, did the Remington HD turkey/predator choke (.670 or .672 I believe) perform well? Looking to pattern Win xtended #6's, win LB and HS mag blends.

:camohat:  I used the factory Predator/Turkey choke that came with the gun, with Fed 3rd Degree 3" shell and the last four turkeys can't argue the effectiveness of the combo, they didn't even flop.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!