OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington SPS Supermag shurshot or???

Started by Txag12, February 23, 2017, 09:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duffer58

Quote from: taketheshot on March 05, 2017, 09:02:29 AM
I purchased the 870 shurshot turkey/predator model not too long ago and am yet to sight in/pattern. To those of you who have one of these 870's, did the Remington HD turkey/predator choke (.670 or .672 I believe) perform well? Looking to pattern Win xtended #6's, win LB and HS mag blends.

The HD turkey/predator tube performs well.  I ended up going with a Indian Creek.  The IC was a bit more consistent with the pattern, and I already had one.  My 870 with the IC tube loves the Win xtended range #6's.  I wish they still made them - down to my last 3 boxes. I use the xtended range B's on geese and they are by far the nastiest shell I have ever used for geese in my 35+ years of goose hunting.  I managed to acquire a good stash of B's before they disappeared.  Wish I had managed to do the same on the #6's.   
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

dbishop

It's hard to beat an 870 supermag.  I had one of the older ones with the thumbhole stock that I to this day regret getting rid of.   Only reason I parted with it was that I found an 1187 NWTF for a steal and couldn't keep 'em both at the time.   For some reason I prefer that thumbhole stock to the sureshot...but that's just me.  Both of my guns shot magnum blend the best with a few different chokes.  I'm currently shooting 3 1/2 magnum blends with the magnum blend choke.  Never counted pellets but it's got a great even pattern at 40 yards and has killed a longbeard at 65 yards(  he was a bit farther away than I thought when I shot...could have been the excitement of it being my first turkey I guess, lol).   I'm sure you'll enjoy your new Remington and hopefully kill lots of gobblers with it in the years to come.  Most of the guys have already given you some great advice on how to set yours up.   I shot most about 10 different brands/types of ammo through mine when I got it to see what it liked the best.  Not the cheapest or the easiest on the shoulder method...but I try to enjoy shooting every chance I get.