OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mighty warm down here in the South

Started by northms, February 20, 2017, 01:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

MS suppose to be upper 70 and even 80 some this week. Hard to believe.

Buds are starting to blooms weeks before usual. We will see what that does for turkey hunting foliage come March 15th, I guess.

FL-Boss

It's above average pretty much everywhere and it seems hotter each year too..

Blong

They are burning it up here. Azaleas, pears ,plums and domesticated dogwoods have bloomed. April which is normally my favorite time will be dismal for hunting. Those that believe photoperiodism is the only factor in turkey breeding dates are wrong. Sure there are a few early and late every year but this happened in 2011 and it was an all out flogging on the gobblers because the hens were nesting.

littlebull

I noticed the trees were starting to bud last week while we were squirrel hunting. How will this affect the turkeys if the forest blooms earlier than normal?
The old coon walks a late log

Spitten and drummen

Many will say it wont affect the hunting but I disagree. I have seen first hand , the season wrapping up earlier than usual , because of a very early spring ,with gobblers flocking back up with 2 weeks left in the season.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

littlebull

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 20, 2017, 03:46:59 PM
Many will say it wont affect the hunting but I disagree. I have seen first hand , the season wrapping up earlier than usual , because of a very early spring ,with gobblers flocking back up with 2 weeks left in the season.

In your experience with early springs do the gobblers get fired up and on their own earlier because of this?
The old coon walks a late log

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Blong on February 20, 2017, 02:35:41 PM
They are burning it up here. Azaleas, pears ,plums and domesticated dogwoods have bloomed. April which is normally my favorite time will be dismal for hunting. Those that believe photoperiodism is the only factor in turkey breeding dates are wrong. Sure there are a few early and late every year but this happened in 2011 and it was an all out flogging on the gobblers because the hens were nesting.

I agree, 2011 season they gobbled hard the first month for sure.

Spitten and drummen

The winter flocks break up earlier and breeding starts up earlier also. The first part of the season , some hens will be setting and the gobblers work better. The downside is that the breeding will be done with part of the season left. I remember the last time we had a really early spring , the gobblers would fly down and group up not really paying attention to hen calls with 2 weeks of season left. I killed one using gobbler yelps and gobbles. Again this is my personal experience.  It may be different elsewhere. This is Southwest ms where our season runs a month and a half.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

allaboutshooting

It was 76 in the Upstate of SC today, a new record. Lots of things growing and blooming.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

owlhoot

x2 try it here in Missouri with a three week season , it can be a bummer.
Photoperiodism is a lot of huey, any turkey who has some years into the game has seen that.

Blong

Quote from: owlhoot on February 20, 2017, 05:55:22 PM
x2 try it here in Missouri with a three week season , it can be a bummer.
Photoperiodism is a lot of huey, any turkey who has some years into the game has seen that.
I have been hunting missouri for 24 springs this year. Here are the findings of a southern turkey hunter in Missouri:
Still cold and dogwoods blooming=great gobbling, some bachelor groups and dominance being established. Really great hunting.
Dogwood blooms still on tree but green coming on=good hunting, mid morning panic gobbling happening
Dogwood petals already on the ground= very tough hunting, some roost gobbling but 1 in 10 birds seems to be callable.
These are not scientific fact but they are my findings.

Cwcook68

Been really warm here in south central NC, trees are budding. Ive seen it snowing here in late march early April so I would say that those buds are in trouble

Farmboy27

Just my experience here in PA. Every time we have an "early spring" everyone says that the hunting will be poor because the birds will be done before season. It never really matters. Yes temperatures will affect the breeding period to some extent, but length of daylight still controls the woods.

Gumby

Quote from: Farmboy27 on February 20, 2017, 08:00:11 PM
Just my experience here in PA. Every time we have an "early spring" everyone says that the hunting will be poor because the birds will be done before season. It never really matters. Yes temperatures will affect the breeding period to some extent, but length of daylight still controls the woods.

This is proven scientific fact
The rest is not

tha bugman

Everybody is experiencing some freaky weather this year for sure  :character0029: