Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Curious as to the thoughts on the motion decoys coming out?

Started by Marc, February 17, 2017, 09:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicksbeagles1

In my opinion they need to outlaw them in all states! To me the sport and thrill is being able to call the turkey  :turkey2: to the gun.

littlebull

Quote from: silvestris on February 20, 2017, 12:51:25 PM
Humans have been judging one another since the dawn of man.  So it has been, so it shall remain.

Preach it Socrates
The old coon walks a late log

Blong

WNCTracker

I'm gonna pass on this model and keep waiting for the turkey on a string kite that allows flydowns too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I am just gonna spend $300 on rifle shells and get to the point.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

Farmboy27

Would I use one?  Heck no. For one thing they would be way too bulky. For another they are illegal in PA. And really I don't think they'd help me anyway. Are they ethical?  That's for the individual to decide. Ethics are a personal matter. Will they lead to shorter seasons and smaller bag limits because they are so effective?  Now that is just laughable!  There have been lots of much better, much more effective, and much deadlier innovations to come along in the past 20 years than an rc car with a decoy on it. Those products didn't affect matters and neither will this.

greencop01

:camohat: What I was trying to say is found in Gene Nunnery's book 'Old Pro Turkey Hunter', Ken Morgan's books, 'Turkey Hunting a One Man Game', 'America, Wild Turkeys and Mongrel Dogs ' and last but not least Tom Kelly's 'Tenth Legion'. What I'm trying to say is read what the GIANTS of our sport say about tradition and that our sport is MORE THAN KILLING A TURKEY. There are more Dwain Bland, Archibald Rutledge, Lovett Williams, Doug Camp, John McDaniel. When I said I wouldn't associate with people that use such things and aids, I won't hunt with them, if they want to do it and its legal fine but you won't do it with me. When we thumb our noses at tradition and the way its done long ago we lose part of ourselves. A sport like turkey hunting when we leave tradition at the back door it diminishes us. Its all about choices. If you haven't read the books I mentioned, read them they are a lot more persuasive than I'll ever be. I'll leave you you with a quote from Tom Kelly in 'Tenth Legion', 'I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to', and ', '...I'm glad I lived long enough to see it one more time'. (calling a turkey to the gun the old fashioned way) Turkey hunting is bigger than ourselves and don't forget that. My  :z-twocents: worth. Peace and love brothers and sisters.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

turkeykiller41

Looks like I hurt some feelings on the decoy subject, I am not sorry for what I believe If you do not have the skills to sit dowm at the base of a tree and call a turkey up close enough to shoot it with a shotgun without the aid of a fake turkey for him to look at then I feel sorry for you.

1iagobblergetter

Didn't hurt mine. I'll use whatever I want and could care less what you think. You might think your skilled but you aint skilled unless your sitting at the base of a tree like some guys do with a longbow. That's skilled.. I'll give ya skilled at stirring the pot though and that's all I'll give ya..Oh and I feel even more sorry for you...

MK M GOBL

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 20, 2017, 10:54:10 PM
Didn't hurt mine. I'll use whatever I want and could care less what you think. You might think your skilled but you aint skilled unless your sitting at the base of a tree like some guys do with a longbow. That's skilled.. I'll give ya skilled at stirring the pot though and that's all I'll give ya..Oh and I feel even more sorry for you...

And there's some truth.

If we are talking the heritage of turkey hunting then this should be the only way you can hunt them right, nothing but a bow and some woodland skill.

MK M GOBL

wvmntnhick

Quote from: BowBendr on February 20, 2017, 12:09:49 PM
Quote from: SteelerFan on February 20, 2017, 10:47:54 AM
These debates always surface when change is introduced into the hunting world, whether it's seasons, bag limits, equipment, etc. We as stakeholders naturally have an opinion on all of it.

I appreciate the adage of "if you want to hunt that way, and its legal - go for it"... BUT it is up to us collectively to have input on what regulations and laws govern our sport. We all have our own personal line of ethics concerning legal methods of hunting that we choose to follow. To blindly accept "new" is not always best - even if you don't think it will effect you personally.

My opinion (since it was asked): motorized decoys have crossed the line. I truly believe they are a profit motivated manipulation of hunters. Especially those seeking instant gratification, or "guaranteed" results. I can only hope these types of 'innovations" meet enough resistance that they fail to produce the expected profit margins, and disappear.

I totally get that we are no longer living in old school times. I look at my darn phone to see a satellite image of the property I'm hunting on for goodness sakes! My personal line of ethics allows me to do that...lol.

Improved shotgun ammo for cleaner kills?  GOOD
Improved shotgun ammo for longer kills?   Not so much
Improved clothing for my comfort?            Very GOOD
Planting food plots for turkey and wildlife?  GOOD
Hunting turkeys over a pile of bait?           Not so much

Etc, etc, etc...

Agree 100% but it is very hard to provide resistance these days when you are constantly battered with the " lets all hold hands and get along" mantra.

It is my personal opinion that the "go for it if it is legal" crowd is starting to really hurt the outdoor/shooting sports as a whole.

One emerging trend that I see on hunting forums is the actual loss of our very own opinions. We are constantly being told that to stay strong as a collective whole we must value  each others opinions, make no waves and dont step on anybodys toes, while at the same time being struck down for an opinion.
Example: make a simple post about not using dekes or blinds and you will be told that you are out of touch and not respecting others privilege to hunt in their own way......while being told that your opinion doesnt matter. Think about that for a bit.......

Cant have it both ways.......now excuse me as I have decided to start smoking the reefer weed today, screw my ethics, right ? Hey, its legal........

Gods of Thunder
The issue isn't so much people saying they don't use blinds or decoys. Personally, I could care less if someone chose to or not. Where the issue stems from, like a statement above, is that they simply look down on those that do. If you choose to hunt one way and someone else chooses to hunt another, so be it. One doesn't have to like it but they need not run it into the ground or complain about it every time they get a chance.

WNCTracker

It seems like the root of the issue for a lot of people is that it just simply makes it easier to kill a turkey.  Easier than it was back when I was coming up learning to hunt the way I consider being the way to hunt turkeys.  People entering the sport now, this will be the way they come up learning to hunt turkeys, and then in 30 years, they will have this same discussion about how it used to take more skill to kill a gobbler 30 years ago.  It's the way of the world.  Technological growth brings a seemingly downside to it as well which is summarized by the way most of us feel about using an electronic decoy.  This is just our version of what our parents felt 30 years ago when we started hunting with some better "this or that" that made it easier for us to kill game.  I love the thrill of the hunt, and I've regressed to kill things with recurve bows, hunted barefoot, etc in my younger years to satisify that desire.  For me now, I'm a gun hunter and while it rubs me the wrong way the way the world his headed to make everything easier, I think in reality it's just me getting older with more experience and a mature perspective based on my own personal history.

BB30

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 21, 2017, 12:30:12 AM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 20, 2017, 10:54:10 PM

And there's some truth.

If we are talking the heritage of turkey hunting then this should be the only way you can hunt them right, nothing but a bow and some woodland skill.

MK M GOBL

buh buh buh butttt.... ha ha I love it. While we are at it anyone that carries a thermacell is cheating.. In order to be a skilled turkey hunter you must sit still with 1000 mosquitoes biting you as you work the bird into range of your long bow without a mask, gloves or a shirt on.   

1iagobblergetter

Now..that's funny...Lol...that would definitely give you one less skill level point according to some